Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rubber seals, wiped them clean too

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Forgive my ignorance, but did you soak the EGR valve in the chemicals? Was there any need for it?

My car will hopefully get cleaned as well the same way you did yours, hope that settles it for me.

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
I solved this issue at last, with my CCWA. The problem stems from the smaller pipe that joins the EGR to the intake manifold. It gets completely gunked until it's barely a pinhole.

Take the intake manifold off, and scrape it good, then soak with the oven cleaner & scrub. It'll likely fix the issue, and give you a good chunk of power and economy back. Takes about 20 minutes to remove/replace, plus a couple hours washing.

If that doesn't cure it, it may be worth replacing the EGR, but mine was almost perfectly clean, and was only a few thousand miles old. Since cleaning the intake I haven't had the code, no even pending.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I solved this issue at last, with my CCWA. The problem stems from the smaller pipe that joins the EGR to the intake manifold. It gets completely gunked until it's barely a pinhole.

Take the intake manifold off, and scrape it good, then soak with the oven cleaner & scrub. It'll likely fix the issue, and give you a good chunk of power and economy back. Takes about 20 minutes to remove/replace, plus a couple hours washing.

If that doesn't cure it, it may be worth replacing the EGR, but mine was almost perfectly clean, and was only a few thousand miles old. Since cleaning the intake I haven't had the code, no even pending.

Well that’s useful! Will point the garage straight at that pipe next week and see if it works for me as well. Any idea on how to keep it clean in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Well that’s useful! Will point the garage straight at that pipe next week and see if it works for me as well. Any idea on how to keep it clean in the future?

Oil catch can, quality fuel. Not much else you can do otherwise, but that'll probably slow it down enough to never need to bother with it again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wanted to update you guys.

Situation is now worse with another couple of faults coming up, namely:
5168 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor | P1592 00 [175] - Implausible Correlation | 16.05.2019
4794 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) | P0101 00 [101] - Implausible Signal | 15.05.2019

If I turn on the ignition and then start the engine - car goes into limp mode, i.e. flashing yellow glow plug light + constant emissions control system light.

If I start the engine without turning on the ingition first - no limp mode, but the emissions control system light is lit.

Car is going in for diagnostics on Wednesday, but if somebody has any ideas, please comment below. Getting sick and tired of this tbh.

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Wanted to update you guys.

Situation is now worse with another couple of faults coming up, namely:
5168 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor | P1592 00 [175] - Implausible Correlation | 16.05.2019
4794 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) | P0101 00 [101] - Implausible Signal | 15.05.2019

If I turn on the ignition and then start the engine - car goes into limp mode, i.e. flashing yellow glow plug light + constant emissions control system light.

If I start the engine without turning on the ingition first - no limp mode, but the emissions control system light is lit.

Car is going in for diagnostics on Wednesday, but if somebody has any ideas, please comment below. Getting sick and tired of this tbh.
That sounds not too bad, just a bad sensor. Did you spray something down the intake by any chance?

Or, it could be a boost leak. Did you take the intake off and just not get it right putting it back?

Edit: bit of googling, sounds like a definite boost leak.

·
Registered
73 Posts
EGR valve broke when they tried to remove it for cleaning. I was told that this is a known risk, because the EGT valve is somewhat cooked from the heat of the exhaust gases overtime and becomes really fragile. Don't know if that is true or not but this is what I have been told.

There was some carbon build-up in the intake manifold, not too bad, but still restricting the flow.

New EGR ordered, will be in early next week. Will update you on the rest.

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts

EGR valve atm

Wtf that's a solid bit of metal? I've dropped one 6ft onto concrete and it didn't care!? How did they smash that

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, it has been a full week now. So far:
1. the clogged EGR cooler was cleaned until it got a good flow,
2. the new EGR valve (OE Pierburg) was fitted,
3. MAF sensor was cleaned,
4. intake manifold was cleaned from minor carbon build-up.

Car is reassembled and now the mechanic is after the potential boost pressure leak. Will report his findings later on.

Hopefully the car will run fine now and my fuel "economy" will get back to normal.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Last update: boost pressure sensor after the turbocharger was faulty and an OE Bosch one was fitted.

All error codes are gone, hope that lasts.

God, how I miss my car. Taking her for a 1,000 km round trip this weekend, will see how she acts :)

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Have you had the intake off for cleaning? Mine behaved exactly the same. Gone in winter.

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you very much for replying so quickly.

I have just booked in for Friday with my Indy so hopefully this does the trick without having to replace the EGR/Cooler.

I will post back at a later date with any progress.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts