Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Been enjoying my 3.0tdi immensely since i bought it last November and have covered about 6k miles in it during that period, its just clicked over 59k in total. Really is the best car i've ever owned. Yesterday the check engine or emission control light came on, so i got the RAC out to read the code since Audi wanted £138 (!).

Its come out as EGR Insufficient Flow Detected. The light is out and i've driven home tonight about 40 miles (mostly fast motorway) and all is well, however i'm inclined to see whether i can clean out the EGR valve as i've read they get clogged up with soot. I have a workshop guide but it doesn't really cover whether it can be cleaned out or not, so any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did my wife's 2.0 tdi egr valve a few weeks ago. It wasnt that hard to do yourself if it's anything like that. That one has a poor design with an internal plastic toothed cog that wears down.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
My EGR valve failed at 47k. Dealer replaced at a cost of £950! They said it is difficult to get to as it's buried in the vee block under the inlet manifold.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dan my friend first of all sorry about my rudenes because i didnt told you the latest news about my troubles! As it turns out EGR isnt that much of a big deal to take apart and clean... It is in the middle of engine maybe a bit more at the drivers side you can see that the iron pipe hose is conected to it from the intake manifold. It isnt the easyest job but it isnt so dificult as wel... In my case it wasnt so cloged we cleaned with the brake cleener spray and put it back in place... Two hour work at max!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
been doing a bit of searching around and found a post talking about throttle actuator being to blame for the egr insufficient flow code. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I dont know about that but if you are refering on a flap vavle on the begining of intake manifold its such an easy job to clean and to check you should turn on ignition an give it gas to see if the flap is moving...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes ok I'll get it off and clean it out. The thing I read said that there is a plastic cog in there that got broke. Seems the chap had it go a couple of times.

When you cleaned out your egr did you remove the entire unit to clean or just the motor?

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Dan my friend first of all sorry about my rudenes because i didnt told you the latest news about my troubles! As it turns out EGR isnt that much of a big deal to take apart and clean... It is in the middle of engine maybe a bit more at the drivers side you can see that the iron pipe hose is conected to it from the intake manifold. It isnt the easyest job but it isnt so dificult as wel... In my case it wasnt so cloged we cleaned with the brake cleener spray and put it back in place... Two hour work at max!

That's interesting zlaja. Thanks for the info. I'm glad I managed to get audi uk to pay half the bill then! If it happens again, I know I can likely resolve myself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No,thank you for all your help! Now i only have check engine light on my dash as it turns out miswireing of mass air flow sensor may be done some damage to the ECU i'm taking it to the dealer in the middle of next week and then i will know for sure

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just incase anyone's interested, I took off the throttle control valve, upper manifold, left-hand lower manifold and EGR to Intake manifold pipe at the weekend. All completely full of crap.
Throttle control value full of oily carbony gunk (though cog in motor was fine)
Upper manifold full of oily crap
lower intake manifold had about 3-5mm of oily/carbon gunk that had settled all around and on the swirl flaps.
Cleaned everything and put back together. Also checked the air filter and as i removed it, it was apparent that the intake duct was blocked with leaves and all sorts of rubbish. So i've cleaned it and ordered a new one.
Seems to be running a bit sweeter, but still detecting a very very slight wobble at idle, however i have the other lower intake manifold to do which i hope will improve things further.

Cannot believe how much crap accumulates - cars only done 59k, but methinks it's spent a lot of time in traffic.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There is TPI for this, so Audi service should do it for free even it's out of warranty. Or You can use VCDS for "burning" of EGR, but it must be CCWA engine type.

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
There is TPI for this, so Audi service should do it for free even it's out of warranty. Or You can use VCDS for "burning" of EGR, but it must be CCWA engine type.
i think your on about the DPF burning/cleaning out, not the EGR

·
Registered
85 Posts
You could snap some pics when you clean the other manifold and make a nice tutorial... Also you posinly need to do a DPF cleaning when you are dine with manifolds,hope you know the drill drive it around 3.000rpm for about 15-20 minutes on a motorway

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
You could snap some pics when you clean the other manifold and make a nice tutorial... Also you posinly need to do a DPF cleaning when you are dine with manifolds,hope you know the drill drive it around 3.000rpm for about 15-20 minutes on a motorway
+1. Yes, tutorial please. I'm certainly not going to pay Audi in another 40k miles to do mine again. Wish I'd had the bottle to diy mine the first time round!

Question @ tomwilliams: Did you replace all the manifold gaskets with new ones?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Dan, no i didn't this time around. I'm going to strip it all down again in another couple of weeks to do the other side so may see if i can get hold of the gaskets to make a proper job of it. I'll try and take some piccies and do a write up of it.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Good stuff, cheers Tom. Look forward to that.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts