Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello dear people ,
lets sumarize my 10-20 posts :
I have audi A6 CDYA 176kw ( equal to CCWA A5) ...
I got error P0401 .
Replaced MAF , no luck
Replaced electronic part off EGR system , no luck
Cleaned intake manifold , cleaned small pipe on intake that comes from EGR ( you have pictures in previous posts ) , It was dirty but still error
Replaced EGR solenoid , no luck ...
Finaly i took EGR cooler and cleaned it ( it took all day to get off ,clean it ( with some ARF cleaner for grill and kitchen stuff ...Better than any "egr cleaner spray" ) ...
After that NO ERROR .

If anyone get same error , here is path i used to get rid off this . Thanks a lot guys for suggestion and helping about this ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello dear people ,
lets sumarize my 10-20 posts :
I have audi A6 CDYA 176kw ( equal to CCWA A5) ...
I got error P0401 .
Replaced MAF , no luck
Replaced electronic part off EGR system , no luck
Cleaned intake manifold , cleaned small pipe on intake that comes from EGR ( you have pictures in previous posts ) , It was dirty but still error
Replaced EGR solenoid , no luck ...
Finaly i took EGR cooler and cleaned it ( it took all day to get off ,clean it ( with some ARF cleaner for grill and kitchen stuff ...Better than any "egr cleaner spray" ) ...
After that NO ERROR .

If anyone get same error , here is path i used to get rid off this . Thanks a lot guys for suggestion and helping about this ...
JetForce
A very interesting and frustrating journey you have had and hopefully you have solved the problem
I too have the P0401 Insufficient flow code on VCDS and the MIL pops up every now and then
Same engine; 124000 miles and no performance issues- still goes like a train and v. smooth at idle or hard acceleration!
I have removed and cleaned the intake manifold and TBA including the small pipe to the EGR valve (it was filthy but not blocked) and no difference; I still get the intermittent fault (even after a recent 400 mile fast road trip)
The EGR seems functional as I can hear it clicking when I turn off the ignition and VCDS can actuate it
My next step is to remove the EGR cooler as you did
Do you have any helpful tips/Youtube links etc on how to do this as it looks like a nightmare to me?!!!
I have a feeling it is the EGR cooler bypass flap that is stuck as I cannot manipulate this by hand and it doesn't move when actuated by VCDS but don't know if this would cause a P0401 error code?
You have really been through it with this but have persevered and hopefully solved the problem!
One point though- doesn't this engine have 2 EGR coolers? The second is buried deep below the one you removed and cleaned? That one looks totally inaccessible and I hope for both our sakes that it is not the problem!
Any help on the removal/cleaning of the cooler would be really appreciated
Below is what I managed to remove with a screwdriver and some rags from the inlet manifold but that has not made a difference to the P0401 codes.
I always use BP Ultimate diesel or equivalent and the car is regularly professionally serviced
Any help on the removal of the EGR cooler would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks in advance
IMG_0482.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is really heavy job . My mechanic need 2-3 hours to get it and the same to bring back . There is no 2 egr cooler. In this engine . Below is Oil cooler and oil separator valve ( i also changed that , but it does not have any relation to P0401...

You have electric part of EGR

And you have cooler

I marked you vaccum part . It should work open and close flap inside . If it cant move it is 99% problem of P0401.
I heard in AUDI CENTER that sometimes that flap broke ( melted ) .

To get cooler you need 1 stuff to do

Remove oil filter complete with case
or to move little turbo and wigling cooler to get it off. It is realy heavy job. I reccomend mechanic to do .

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is really heavy job . My mechanic need 2-3 hours to get it and the same to bring back . There is no 2 egr cooler. In this engine . Below is Oil cooler and oil separator valve ( i also changed that , but it does not have any relation to P0401...

You have electric part of EGR
View attachment 177846

And you have cooler

View attachment 177847

I marked you vaccum part . It should work open and close flap inside . If it cant move it is 99% problem of P0401.
I heard in AUDI CENTER that sometimes that flap broke ( melted ) .

To get cooler you need 1 stuff to do

Remove oil filter complete with case
or to move little turbo and wigling cooler to get it off. It is realy heavy job. I reccomend mechanic to do .
JetForce

Thank you for your very prompt response!
Please see diagram below of additional EGR; I am aware of the oil cooler underneath the primary EGR.

Here is also a Youtube video link to the EGR coolers in action:

It is that vacuum actuator that you have highlighted that I cannot move by hand. When I activate it in VCDS I can see the arm move very slightly but the valve doesn't open so maybe it has seized/melted
May I ask how much your mechanic charged to replace the primary EGR and is it necessary to replace the oil cooler too?
I have seen some Youtube videos of people removing the EGR and it really does look like a nightmare!
Thanks again

·
Registered
18 Posts

Mine dont have that additional cooler .
I Think latter Q7 have it . Mine is with one cooler . That green flap is possible problem . Mine was good , but my problem was dirty cooler inside ,and when flap is turned for gases to go throw the cooler , it was going but slowly . Mechanic charged me 70bam ( about 40Euro) . But consider my country is low economic . :(

141 - 147 of 147 Posts