Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mopsta81 what is your wheel/tire and suspension setup if you dont mind me asking?
This is my set-up: Starting with 1BE (S-line) suspension on 19" (ET32 / 8.5J) Audi 'Y' spokes, added 15mm(f) & 25mm(r) H&R spacers with 255 35 19 Summer tyres, then decided to lower with H&R OE Sports springs (for the heavier engine).
Then changed to 19'' Speedlines (ET45 / 8.5J) with 255 35 19 Winter tyres, and changed spacers to 35mm(r) & 25mm(f) due to the bigger offset.
Then (after winter) changed wheels to 20" MAK Stardom's (ET40 / 8.5J) and reverted to 25mm(r) & 15mm(f) spacers (the 35mm looked too wide for the 20" rears to me and occasionally touched the arches over very big bumps), with 255 35 20 Summer tyres, and then also added 4 x rubber coil spring assisters (48-58mm) to the bottom of each of the springs- see pics of the 20" here. After summer I put Dunlop wintersport tyres on and there was a little rubbing so I put the 15mm spacers on the back and left the front without any spacers as winter tyres are a bit bigger as have more rubber & treads- this set-up is perfect now with no rubbing at all.
My problem was when I had 19" wheels after changing the springs it would connect with big speed bumps and big pot-holes because now with the H&R 'OE' Sports springs the ride was very low and the ride was quite harsh too and especially jarring over pot holes- however, I wanted the lower look so resolved to keep the springs and change the wheels to 20" so now the 20" ride is just right as it never touches anything, there's zero gap on the arches plus comfort levels restored by the coil spring assisters, and so there is now enough clearance for everything- even at speed.
General outcome for me: With standard springs the 19" with 25mm & 15mm spacers was stunning, however, since lowering onto 'OE' Sports I much prefer the set-up with the 20" wheels & spring assisters and so would recommend the 'OE' Springs as the other Sports type will definitely be too low if you have the 1BE suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi guys,

I'd like to start this up again and ask a question regarding the H&R springs.... I have a 2013 3.0 Tdi s-line with 20" wheels. I am considering having the car lowered but I am unsure which to choose. Like most I don't particularly want the ride to suffer as the roads in Northern Ireland aren't great! But I would still like that lowered look.

I'm not sure as to which suspension setup is currently in the car whether it is a normal s-line or sports s-line setup. based on some of the before pics that I've come across that it has the sports setup, maybe?!

Anyway... I've had a look at the springs and notice that there is a choice - 29509-1 over 1101kg and -3 up to 1100kg. so which do I choose and what kind of drop would I be looking at with these springs?

Doing this from a PC so will try to post pics of my car later from my phone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
@Smokeyjoe - Thanks picking these was a tough choice since I was never a directional wheel person and I had my doubts when the guys were fitting them. But they've worked out well. I need to work out how these springs rate before I consider lowering the car.

I'm not in any real hurry about lowering the car so in the meantime I'm booked in to get the rear exhaust boxes removed and a straight pipe fitted with 2 dummy boxes (more for the purpose of MOT).

·
Registered
396 Posts
See post #56 from JRD here which should help you:
'So after ordering the 29059-2 H&R sport springs I have found out/confirmed the the -2 of the part number means they are for the sportback.'

·
Registered
56 Posts
See post #56 from JRD herewhich should help you:
So after ordering the 29059-2 H&R sport springs I have found out/confirmed the the -2 of the part number means they are for the sportback.
Cheers I'll have a look at that post.
That means then that -1 is for the coupe and -3 is for the open top model.
I had a look on the H&R website, input the usual details and the attached is what it came up with.... it's bloody confusing!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
My biggest worry with springs is the longevity of the OEM shocks (as I am looking dropping my S5 as well). I put H&R springs on my 911 and I went through 2 shocks after about 20k miles. The car had 40k miles and 2 shocks at around 60k. It did look good, though.
@sili1975 Nice house!

·
Registered
56 Posts
My biggest worry with springs is the longevity of the OEM shocks (as I am looking dropping my S5 as well). I put H&R springs on my 911 and I went through 2 shocks after about 20k miles. The car had 40k miles and 2 shocks at around 60k. It did look good, though.
@sili1975 Nice house!
I hear you on that one. I plan on keeping this one for a while and I don't want to be doing that. Hence why I'm now considering coilovers but I don't want to pay an arm and leg for them. Everyone says that KW v1s are the way to go, but are pricey, as the comfort is close to that of oem which is what I need as the roads and speed ramps in N. Ireland are woeful also heard a few but not loads about FK coilovers. There half the price but it's a gamble as you get what you pay for.
My suspension dilemma continues!
@RoB9 you can only see the garage... but cheers bud ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't see much on here about anyone with OE Sport Springs, so hopefully after posting this someone can chime in.

I am currently running 20x10.5 niche targa rims on 275/30/20 tires, and I really want to go as low as I can without rubbing. I have not had much luck finding anyone with rims this size with the H&R sport springs (rather than the OE sport) and was just wondering if anyone has any experience? I do not want to buy these and end up rubbing.

Also, after reading through this I saw a few people mention that these are not good to run on stock suspension. Is this an extreme concern? I do not have a lot of money to spend on coil overs at the moment, so this would be my best option as far as I am concerned. Any input on that?

Here is some current pictures of my car. h ttps://imgur c om/a/UxjqEJe

Any input appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hear you on that one. I plan on keeping this one for a while and I don't want to be doing that. Hence why I'm now considering coilovers but I don't want to pay an arm and leg for them. Everyone says that KW v1s are the way to go, but are pricey, as the comfort is close to that of oem which is what I need as the roads and speed ramps in N. Ireland are woeful also heard a few but not loads about FK coilovers. There half the price but it's a gamble as you get what you pay for.
My suspension dilemma continues!
@RoB9 you can only see the garage... but cheers bud ??
I decided on the Eibach Pro kit with some spacers on OEM shocks. Install will be next week so let's see how they last.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So... decided on coilovers and went with v-maxx and so far I have to say, they are probably the same if not a little more comfy than the standard s-line suspension. The car has less roll and sticks in the corners/round abouts. At only £400 suggested by my wheel and tyre centre these are great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ended up with the Eibach Pro springs (and 15mm spacers). I like the ride as it's tighter and less floaty. It's very comfortable but it's no Cadillac Eldorado.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Update now that the coilovers have had a few hundred miles to break in and a few final adjustments. I have to say... they are definitely comfortable in comparison to the s-line suspension and yet they hold the corners nicely without huge amounts of roll. Now don't get me wrong bad roads and potholes will still be felt but even my wife says that it's not as bad as what she thought.

So win win for the v-maxx ??

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ended up with the Eibach Pro springs (and 15mm spacers). I like the ride as it's tighter and less floaty. It's very comfortable but it's no Cadillac Eldorado.
Hahaha... great quote "no Cadillac Eldorado" if only it could be but still have that sports feel to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone! Just wanted to share how my A5 3.0 TDI (1BV suspension) turned out with H&R OE Sport (29061-1) springs. Currently, I'm running 265/30/20 rims with 20mm spacers in the rear & 15mm in front and this is how it looks like less than 24 hours after mounting the springs. In my opinion, this looks perfect, and ride softness feels almost the same, but the rigidity of the car is way better, especially in corners.

IMG_6536.JPG AA160DF4-4E3C-4E8F-84D2-5534BD0BEB0E-2469B0E6-9218-4963-B466-0DA86035803B.JPG

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks for the update, looks very good- what is the offset on your wheels?

61 - 79 of 79 Posts