Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A5/S5 folks,

Im looking to lower the car and still keep Audi Drive Select functional.
Mine's an A5 w S-line package and wheels are currently about 2-2.5 fingers away from the fender.

For H&R springs there are 2 versions

H&R OE Sport Springs (for a drop of 1" all round)
Part no 29061-1

H&R Sport Springs (for a drop of 1.3" all around)
Part no 29059-1

Curious to know which version are you guys using?
Have searched tru the threads with not much luck for feedback.

Is anyone on the Sport Springs with rubbing issues, and how much does it lower in real life? (ie 1 finger gap left?)

Also, interested to know for A5s on the S-line kit and S5s - are the springs different from the regular A5 ones?
Read before that apparently springs on A5 S-lines and S5s already drop the car down equivalent to what the H&R OE Sport Springs do?

If the above is true, then it would be pointless to change to H&R OE Springs because there would be no aesthetic improvement.

Any feedback much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
the oe springs drop isn't noticable, get the hr sport

if i were you, get the kw adjustable springs which will work with you ADS

They are on sale right now for $799 through AMI on Audizine forum

·
Registered
505 Posts
Beg to disagree!!

I've just had H&R OE's fitted on my 3.0tdi q sport, and the difference is VERY noticeable!

I didn't want the huge boy racer drop and def didn't want to compromise ride quality. After lots of research here, and comparing other members drops, settled on the OE's. The look for me is perfect, car just above tyre, tyre not in arch which is what I wanted. Many have complained the ride is a little harsh on the Sport springs, hence another reason for my choice to go with the OE's, and I honestly can't tell the difference in ride quality from original!

Your choice, do a search, but I'm VERY happy I went with OE's and not the Sports ;-)

Reactions: Jamin_00

·
Registered
207 Posts
jimbo,
you don't have the S-line suspension so thats why your drop is noticable.

the s-line shock is a little stiffer compared to yours.

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
^true and I have OE's. Pics in sig. Good compromise of drop and ride quality.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Getset car is an A5 Sline
I also have the same exact car.

Before lowering with the H&R oe springs, i measured the fronts to be 27" from the ground to the fender. The stock height for the rears were 26.75"

After installing the H&R OE springs and letting it settle over a 2 week period, the front's were 26.5" on the passenger 26.3" on the driver side.

The passenger rear was 26" and the driver side rear was 25.9"

Maybe the S5 and A5 Sline suspension are different

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch guys.

I've done a fair bit of trawling through the old posts here.

My dilemna stems from the fact that I am unable to ascertain the below.

Are S5 springs lower than typical A5 springs?
Also, does anyone know if an A5 with S-line pakage comes with S5 springs included?

Can anyone with the H&R Sport Springs chime in on what is the final drop in terms of fingers gap from tire to the fender
+ alteration of ride characteristics?

Just to share that some have felt that with the OE springs, there is no significant difference in harshness.

With the Sport springs installed, 'comfort setting' feels like 'dynamic setting
in stock form'

Will be moot point if one goes ahead with the purchase of OE springs only to find that the drop is negligible from original height.

:cheers:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Here is my 3.0tdi pre and post OE fitting, 2 weeks ago! Dropped my car about 20/25mm all round with 15/20mm spacers!!!
Here is the before pic:

carry1.JPG

After:

carlow12.jpg
carlow22.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pics, taken on old iphone:thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks jim, pix are helpful.

w the spacers and OE springs drop, do u experience any rubbing?
am assuming ure on 265/35 R19 tires?

cheers

·
Registered
275 Posts
the oe springs drop isn't noticable, get the hr sport

if i were you, get the kw adjustable springs which will work with you ADS

They are on sale right now for $799 through AMI on Audizine forum
I would go with the KWV2 coil over system over springs any day:thumbsup:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Getset,

No mate, no rubbing at all! Infact the ride hs virtually the same as OEM set up, just slightly harder - negligible!!!

Each to there own, but I didn't have £1000+ for coils and really like the OE spring look!

Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks folks!

seems like most here are on OE springs rather than Sport Springs.

If anyone on Sport Springs could chime in with pros/cons it would be much appreciated!

And yes, i have ADS so i rather not go the coilover route.

:cheers:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Our car is on sports. Miami has shitty roads so the ride can get a lil bumpy but I don't mind it aside from taking a couple days for them to settle I love em and the look. My last car had solid motor mounts so maybe it's just me that doesn't mind lol

Here's the link. The attached image on post #13 is how it sits today after settling

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-performance-mods/18391-coming-along-nicely.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the sport spring... (-35mm) it's very low... For me is the right lowering for a sportive car... Now it's not too hard (first I had sportive s line suspension) and the distance between wheel and body now is 1.5 finger (first 3-4)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hopefully, we can revive this thread....

I'm looking to lower the suspension on my 2012 A5 S-line but I'm having a hard time deciding on which springs to use. The H&R website shows these relative drops for front and rear for an 2012 A5 Quattro. Are these numbers relative to a stock A5 without any lowering?

H&R OE Sport (29061-1) -1" (-25.4 mm)
H&R Sport (29059-1) -1.25" (-31.75mm)

Reading through various threads and forums, I've found out that the S-Line doesn't necessarily mean S-Line suspension. The option codes (1B?) will indicate whether you have sport suspension or S-line suspension.

If I use A5 stock setup without S-line as the baseline, then this setup will have a drop of 0mm. It is already known that the A5 with sport suspension (1BE, 1BL) is dropped 20mm from the baseline and with S-line suspension (1BV), it is dropped 30mm. So my question is what will be the relative drop with either of the H&R spring types? Will the H&R springs lower the suspension in addition to the current suspension height or will it be relative to the stock setup?

Scenario A (in addition to baseline):
...................... Susp Height .... With H&R OE ...... With H&R Sport

A5 Base (1B?) .......... 0mm .......... -25.4mm (1.00") .. -31.75mm (1.25")
A5 S-Line (1BE, 1BL) . -20mm (0.79") .. -45.4mm (1.79") .. -51.75mm (2.04")
A5 S-Line (1BV) ...... -30mm (1.18")
.. -55.4mm (2.18") .. -61.75mm (2.43")

Scenario B (relative to baseline):
...................... Susp Height .... With H&R OE ...... With H&R Sport

A5 Base (1B?)
.......... 0mm .......... -25.4mm (1.00") .. -31.75mm (1.25")
A5 S-Line (1BE, 1BL) . -20mm (0.79") .. - 5.4mm (0.21") .. -11.75mm (0.46")
A5 S-Line (1BV)
...... -30mm (1.18") .. + 4.6mm (-.18") .. - 1.75mm (0.07")

So, for my suspension option (1BL) with H&R OE Springs, will the A5 be lowered by an additional 1" or since it is already lowered by 20mm, will the overall drop only be 0.21" ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Scenario B I believe.

The drop for any spring manufacturer, will be given as a drop in mm from the baseline height for that car..

·
Registered
421 Posts
Scenario B I believe.

The drop for any spring manufacturer, will be given as a drop in mm from the baseline height for that car..

understand what you say here. I am in the same conundrum. My 2013 S5 has 15/20mm spacers in stock 19" rotors and I want to lower. H&R quote the same OE sport spring for all A5 models. How can this be if select A5 models have suspension already lowered by 25mm?

Reactions: jonnguyen11
1 - 20 of 79 Posts