Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Example of SD card NOT working in RS5 2011

I have a 16gb old SD card I've been using succesfully to hold MP3s in my RS5.

Recently I decided to upgrade and bought the following:

Lexar Professional 64GB Class 10 UHS-II 1000x Speed (150MB/s) SDXC Flash Memory

This is proving unreadable by the MMI. (I havn't checked if FAT32 but assume so).

I'm not sure if this is due to the size exceeding 32gig or the SDXC version.

Just putting this out there in case of help.

I will buy a 32gb non SDXC and see if that works better..

Regards
Will

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 16gb old SD card I've been using succesfully to hold MP3s in my RS5.

Recently I decided to upgrade and bought the following:

Lexar Professional 64GB Class 10 UHS-II 1000x Speed (150MB/s) SDXC Flash Memory

This is proving unreadable by the MMI. (I havn't checked if FAT32 but assume so).

I'm not sure if this is due to the size exceeding 32gig or the SDXC version.

Just putting this out there in case of help.

I will buy a 32gb non SDXC and see if that works better..

Regards
Will
You could try to format the card with a smaller 32gb partition with fat32. It would be a waste of such a 64gb fast card though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With EaseUS Partition Master, you can format a HDD, or SD card of any size Fat32. It's free too. I have a 1TB HDD in my 2011 A8 and it works great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got a 500gb USB 3 portable HDD which I plug into the AMi socket with the USB cable. The HDD is formatted in Fat32, (I think I used a free 3rd party utility I downloaded, there a loads which will work). Sorted all my music into folders - Audio, music videos, films etc.
the music videos I got by using keepvid you just put the urn of the video in and it gives you an option to download it. Copy to HDD and plug into the car. I've not had any that played yet.

TP
mate are you saying you dont need to change the resolution etc as mentioned in the OP or do you do that once you have ripped the videos from Youtube?

I tried to play .avi .mp4 and .mp2 and the only ones that play are videos encoded with mpeg2 (and they need to be 720x480)

Mines is a 2011 (late year) A7 with 3G+ (seems like i squeezed in on the ability to play from SD).

I am just away to buy a AMI cable so that i can play videos from an external HDD like you do.

Cheers

Martyn

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found this which supposedly shows what encoding works on the 3GP.
i have only been able to get it to work with mpeg2 up to now, will try another of the listed formats today.

can you post a link to that original document mate

thanks

EDIT**

Got it working with MP4 coded with x264 at 30FPS. Big difference in file sizes too (smaller) than when i was doing it with Mpeg2.

Just hope now it all works from the HDD via AMI cable :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
further update on this

I use "Iskysoft" video converter at home to encode some films using mp4 and h264 but it didnt work, I then used "Any Video Converter Professional" to convert the same file and that worked

When i compared the details of the file converted using "Iskysoft" to the file i converted using "Any Video Converter Professional" here is the 2 media info details (both were converted using h264 and mp4.

as you can see "iskysoft" uses different settings (ones which are not configurable using the program).

Bottom line is i now use "Any Video Converter Professional" and it creates the files which are playable.

hope this helps someone else

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
further update on this

I use "Iskysoft" video converter at home to encode some films using mp4 and h264 but it didnt work, I then used "Any Video Converter Professional" to convert the same file and that worked

When i compared the details of the file converted using "Iskysoft" to the file i converted using "Any Video Converter Professional" here is the 2 media info details (both were converted using h264 and mp4.

as you can see "iskysoft" uses different settings (ones which are not configurable using the program).

Bottom line is i now use "Any Video Converter Professional" and it creates the files which are playable.

hope this helps someone else
Hi,

I have just followed your guide and used the same software.

When i convert the video to that format, it does not show any video only play the audio?

any ideas on how to get further?

Best Regards..

Sorry for my perfect english im from Denmark.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

I have just followed your guide and used the same software.

When i convert the video to that format, it does not show any video only play the audio?

any ideas on how to get further?

Best Regards..

Sorry for my perfect english im from Denmark.
hi mate, sorry for the late response, i didnt get notified that you had commented. Are you still having issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi i converted some video files for my audi a6 2013 mmi3g+ and did like this tread says and i still have black bands on top and bottom and i tried multiple resolutions and its all the same

can someone help pls

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a 2014 A5 Black Edition with the MMI (HDD) system and I've been going crazy trying to figure out how to play video without playing from DVD.

I'm not sure if there has been any previous guides on how to play video content from an SD card but after researching and a lot of :wall: I've managed to get this working and learnt a few things along the way!

As far as I'm aware the car will only read SD cards up to 32gb, this need to be FAT32 formatted as well. For the car to play video from the SD card all video content needs to be formatted in a certain way.

Video settings:

Frame size: 720 x 480
Video codec: MPEG4
Frame rate: 30fps

Audio settings:

Audio codec: MP3
Sample rate: 48000Hz
Bit rate: 320 Kbps

I've found a free application called Free Make Video converter that seems to work pretty well. This application is also capable of downloading and then converting videos to your chosen format.

To convert a video using Free Make Video converter you need to follow these steps.

1. Click video to upload
2. Click convert to AVI
3. Click add your preset
4. Create a preset with the above settings (this will save for quick use in the future.)
5. Choose save location and click convert
6. Enjoy :)

Hopefully this helps, I've been looking for info on this for ages and couldn't find anything that was step by step.
Hi Reni00,

Thanks for the guide. It is working! But quality is awfull :)

Did you tried other quality settings?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you get a full screen image with 720*480 movies?
I am asking because I tried many 720*576 movies and they do not fully fit to the MMI display.
I am going to try 800*480 as this is the MMI factory display resolution, maybe we succeed to get a full screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
100% working AUDI MMI+ Video conversion - Best Quality

For 100% working AUDI MMI+ Video conversion - Best Quality - download this 2 programs from following post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
100% working AUDI MMI+ Video conversion - Best Quality

h ttp s:/ /drive.google.com/drive/folders/181HWz5S6eLm2_4GgOvtJS8T7YeHD8rUt?usp=sharing
<<remove spaces from the link>>

1. Install YouTube Playlist Downloader and download entire Playlists of VideoClips
2. Install THIS version of Handbrake and convert using UNIVERSAL setting from right side of the program window (Presets - Universal)

Thats it! So simple as that ;) Drive carefully!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I kind of gave it up as it takes too much time finding and converting the videos and then some of them dont even work. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
It won't take too long time. You need an audio-video converter (I am using Any Video Converter, for example) then, copy/paste the link of desired YouTube Video, choose your settings then press convert.
Conversion of a 4-5 min. long Youtube video will take less than 30 sec, you can paste into the program plenty of links, make your settings once, then convert.
The settings I use for conversion are:

#video size: 720x432
#quality : normal
#video codec: mpeg4
#video bitrate: 1250
#frame rate: 25
#audio codec: mp3
#audio bitrate: 256
#sample rate: 48000

Never fails if you do like this, all my video works 100% :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am using program iWisoft Free Video Converter setings for my Audi A6 2014 MMI 3G+

Codec: MPEG-2
Size: 720x404
Rate: 25fps
Bitrate: 1500kbps
Ratio:auto (16:9 or 4:3)

Audi Codec: AC-3 Audio
Bitrate: 128kbps
Chanel: 2 Chanel Stereo
Sample: 44100hz

21 - 40 of 42 Posts