Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 2014 A5 Black Edition with the MMI (HDD) system and I've been going crazy trying to figure out how to play video without playing from DVD.

I'm not sure if there has been any previous guides on how to play video content from an SD card but after researching and a lot of :wall: I've managed to get this working and learnt a few things along the way!

As far as I'm aware the car will only read SD cards up to 32gb, this need to be FAT32 formatted as well. For the car to play video from the SD card all video content needs to be formatted in a certain way.

Video settings:

Frame size: 720 x 480
Video codec: MPEG4
Frame rate: 30fps

Audio settings:

Audio codec: MP3
Sample rate: 48000Hz
Bit rate: 320 Kbps

I've found a free application called Free Make Video converter that seems to work pretty well. This application is also capable of downloading and then converting videos to your chosen format.

To convert a video using Free Make Video converter you need to follow these steps.

1. Click video to upload
2. Click convert to AVI
3. Click add your preset
4. Create a preset with the above settings (this will save for quick use in the future.)
5. Choose save location and click convert
6. Enjoy :)

Hopefully this helps, I've been looking for info on this for ages and couldn't find anything that was step by step.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a 2014 A5 Black Edition with the MMI (HDD) system and I've been going crazy trying to figure out how to play video without playing from DVD.

I'm not sure if there has been any previous guides on how to play video content from an SD card but after researching and a lot of :wall: I've managed to get this working and learnt a few things along the way!

As far as I'm aware the car will only read SD cards up to 32gb, this need to be FAT32 formatted as well. For the car to play video from the SD card all video content needs to be formatted in a certain way.

Video settings:

Frame size: 720 x 480
Video codec: MPEG4
Frame rate: 30fps

Audio settings:

Audio codec: MP3
Sample rate: 48000Hz
Bit rate: 320 Kbps

I've found a free application called Free Make Video converter that seems to work pretty well. This application is also capable of downloading and then converting videos to your chosen format.

To convert a video using Free Make Video converter you need to follow these steps.

1. Click video to upload
2. Click convert to AVI
3. Click add your preset
4. Create a preset with the above settings (this will save for quick use in the future.)
5. Choose save location and click convert
6. Enjoy :)

Hopefully this helps, I've been looking for info on this for ages and couldn't find anything that was step by step.
Excellent step by step, will give it a go.Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

I tried this in my 2011 SB with 3G and it didn't see any playable media. The SD card is formatted fat32.
Don't have my vehicle yet to attempt this myself but perhaps try shortening file names and excluding special characters? Are you trying this with the vehicle parked or in motion?

Did this require VAG-COM tweaks to get it working? I would playing video going down the road would require the same or similar modifications to playing DVDs in motion.

Some general notes;

FAT32 format will limit the single file size to 4GB but your video would have to be quite long to hit that mark with those settings.

There several version of SD cards (SD, SDHC, and SDXC), several bus types (standard, UHS I, and UHS II), and several speed classes (2, 4, 6, and 10) which, depending on the system they are used on, may or may not be compatible for all uses.

Audi sells SD cards: https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zubehoer/p/audi-sd-card-8-gb-8r0063827f-10

From the description this is an 8GB SDHC, the photo on the Amazon listing shows that it is a Class 6 card, and Audi lists the following A5/S5 models as being supported:

A5 Cabriolet 2010-2011
A5 Cabriolet 2012
A5 Coupé 2008-2011
A5 Coupé 2012
A5 Sportback 2010-2011
A5 Sportback 2012
S5 Cabriolet 2010-2011
S5 Cabriolet 2012
S5 Coupé 2008-2011
S5 Coupé 2012
S5 Sportback 2010-2012
S5 Sportback 2012
RS 5 Cabriolet 2013
RS 5 Coupé 2010-2012
RS 5 Coupé 2013

All that being said I would buy an 8GB Class 6 SDHC card for the best chances of having it work. Larger sized cards should would as well but SDHC only goes up to 32GB so larger cards will be SDXC type which may not work. The faster Class 10 cards should work as well but I can't tell without testing.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
my manual says:
Filesystem: FAT resp. FAT32, single partition.
Memory-cardreader: Memory-cards with a capacity of max. 32 GB

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi. I have tried the following
short file names
Smaller SD card
The car is stationary (VIM is enabled too)
MP3 files on the same card ARE recognised and playable.

Still no joy. Any ideas? I have access to the hidden many if that helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi. I have tried the following
short file names
Smaller SD card
The car is stationary (VIM is enabled too)
MP3 files on the same card ARE recognised and playable.

Still no joy. Any ideas? I have access to the hidden many if that helps.
Done some more digging. According to other forums the MMI 3G systems will not support video playback from SD cards, only DVDs. MMI 3G+ systems will play videos from SD cards as well as DVDs. The switch to 3G+ systems came with the 2012 facelift and possibly includes vehicles during some 2011 build-weeks.

The lack of video codecs is supposedly what prevents playback; many users have be able to "play" videos from SD cards but are only able to hear the audio with a black screen. The fact that the system will attempt to play the file makes me think that there's a chance that by mimicking DVD-Video formatting (resolution, framerate, codec, bitrate, and color profiles) one may actually get something to work. The guide in this thread suggests MPEG-4 but DVD uses MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. Try cloning the settings for DVD-Video/Audio data from wikipedia and tell us if you have any luck.

DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will be working on this myself as I have the MMI 3G system in my car that I will pick up next Thursday. I'm not giving up, I've seen videos played on a 1st generation iPod.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've got a few music videos borrowed from YouTube which are on my 500gb HDD plugged into the AMI. These play perfectly. Video in motion also unlocked, though I don't watch when driving!

TP

·
Registered
640 Posts
Cheers Batman, I'll give that a go this weekend.

Paul, do you have a 3G+ ? If not what's the setup to get it working?
I've got the HDD+ nav (2014 spec) which I think is the 3G one.
TP

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got the HDD+ nav (2014 spec) which I think is the 3G one.
TP
From what I understand the MMI 3G has a column of 4 buttons on either side of the dial below the shifter, NAV/INFO/CAR/SETUP on the left and RADIO/MEDIA/NAME/TEL on the right. The 3G+ version should have only two buttons on either side, RADIO/MEDIA on the left and NAV/TEL on the right with CAR/MENU being at the bottom center. 3G+ should also have the RWD |<< and FWD >>| buttons near the volume dial.

Which sides the buttons are on may be different in LHD vs RHD models but I am not sure.

EDIT:
3G: http://s19.postimg.org/t3bpenxur/MMI_3_G.jpg
3G+: http://s19.postimg.org/ap16aolk3/MMI_3_G.jpg

2G systems should look almost identical to 3G ones, not sure how to visually distinguish them at this point.

·
Registered
640 Posts
From what I understand the MMI 3G has a column of 4 buttons on either side of the dial below the shifter, NAV/INFO/CAR/SETUP on the left and RADIO/MEDIA/NAME/TEL on the right. The 3G+ version should have only two buttons on either side, RADIO/MEDIA on the left and NAV/TEL on the right with CAR/MENU being at the bottom center. 3G+ should also have the RWD |<< and FWD >>| buttons near the volume dial.

Which sides the buttons are on may be different in LHD vs RHD models but I am not sure.

EDIT:
3G: http://s19.postimg.org/t3bpenxur/MMI_3_G.jpg
3G+: http://s19.postimg.org/ap16aolk3/MMI_3_G.jpg

2G systems should look almost identical to 3G ones, not sure how to visually distinguish them at this point.
I've definitely got the HDD 3G+ one.

TP

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
You can distinguish 3G from 2G by the presence of the joystick on top of the command dial for 3G.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just to update anyone still looking.

I'm beginning to concede that video from and SD card is a 3G+ and up only feature. I got a lot of the "no playable tracks found" message but one time I did manage to get my files to crash to MMI system. I saw in some other threads where people were able to get audio from a video file but only a black screen, if anyone has been able to produce that result I would still be interested in the settings they used.

I was, of course able to play DVDs. If anyone wants to go that route I highly recommend "DVD Shrink" for quickly and easily putting a bunch of videos on a DVD.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've got a few music videos borrowed from YouTube which are on my 500gb HDD plugged into the AMI. These play perfectly. Video in motion also unlocked, though I don't watch when driving!

TP
So we can hook up our external HDD to Audi ?
How ?
I have HD Sat Nav, 2 SD card slot.
Have 2 cables which came with the car.
One is to connect iphone. And other seems like USB cable.

So I can use that cable to connect my external HDD ? And get all music, video there.

Also can i download music videos off YouTube and convert them using mentioned converted and put on external HDD. Will it play ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
So we can hook up our external HDD to Audi ?
How ?
I have HD Sat Nav, 2 SD card slot.
Have 2 cables which came with the car.
One is to connect iphone. And other seems like USB cable.

So I can use that cable to connect my external HDD ? And get all music, video there.

Also can i download music videos off YouTube and convert them using mentioned converted and put on external HDD. Will it play ?
I read some threads on this as well. You have MY2012 (3G+ and up) or later so you should be good to go as fast as playing video from things like SD/HDD. The settings at the top of this thread should work for you.

Keep in mind you must have FAT32 formatted media, even for HDD. That runs you into another issue; Windows will not format a drive larger than 32GB as FAT32 natively, you will need to locate software to surpass that limitation. I believe OSX will do it without any additional software.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've got a 500gb USB 3 portable HDD which I plug into the AMi socket with the USB cable. The HDD is formatted in Fat32, (I think I used a free 3rd party utility I downloaded, there a loads which will work). Sorted all my music into folders - Audio, music videos, films etc.
the music videos I got by using keepvid you just put the urn of the video in and it gives you an option to download it. Copy to HDD and plug into the car. I've not had any that played yet.

TP

·
Registered
235 Posts
I read some threads on this as well. You have MY2012 (3G+ and up) or later so you should be good to go as fast as playing video from things like SD/HDD. The settings at the top of this thread should work for you.

Keep in mind you must have FAT32 formatted media, even for HDD. That runs you into another issue; Windows will not format a drive larger than 32GB as FAT32 natively, you will need to locate software to surpass that limitation. I believe OSX will do it without any additional software.
Mine is MY2015.
So I should be good to go.

I will find some free ware to address this issue.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts