Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
721 - 740 of 748 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi just thought I'd share my recent experience with you all.

I have a 2011 A5 coupe 2.0 TFSI quattro bought in Spring 2019 which now has approx 58k miles.
It has full Audi service history up to 2016, 2 independent services in 2017 & 2018, & 2 mini services including oil changes done by myself in 2019 & 2020.
Full VAT receipts are in my possession.

I have read this thread with great interest from start to finish - many thanks to all posters - & was coming to the conclusion that I did indeed have the dreaded oil consumption issue.
I guessed I was probably using 1/2 litre of oil every 300-400 miles.

I've had very little contact with my 2 nearest Audi main dealers apart from the odd spare parts etc before this.

Armed with knowledge from this thread, I approached my nearest dealer & enquired politely about an oil consumption test.
Can I add my local dealer is an Audi Sport dealer with in the show room, when I first wandered in, amongst others -
TTRS x 2, RSQ3, RS5 Sportback, RS4, RS7, R8 x2, with another R8 outside to drive away today for £125,000.
Quite a lot of expensive metal I'm sure you will agree & slightly intimidating when you own a 9 year old car & are asking for help....

They were very helpful & agreed an oil consumption test straight away.

Test done & checked - failed as I expected.

The cars Audi service history they already knew & the independent & my VAT invoices were copied & sent to Audi UK for a possible warranty claim.
On my 9 year old car remember!

The news came back fairly quickly that Audi would indeed honour the claim & would contribute 80% of the cost for a stage 2 fix - pistons, rings, con rods & rebuild - cost approx £6,000 so the cost to me of approx £1,200.

I also added a few things including cam chain & tensioner, water pump & also had a new starter motor done which sounded like it was getting slightly 'sticky'.

I now have the car back & am very pleased with the results so far.

I'd like to add, all people at the main dealer were very easy & helpful to deal with & are a credit to the four rings.

I consider the 80% contribution from Audi UK generous & fair, & would recommend anyone in my place to ask politely & hope you get the same result.

Will update as mileage increases.

Update:
About 1100 miles so far & the oil level hasn’t moved a pixel on the MMI!
Engine also seems smoother & has regained some power.
Pleased & very relieved 😅

·
Registered
161 Posts
Amazing thread, many stories of happy TFSI owners.

I am aware of the TFSI oil consumption issues and the stage 1 to 3 fixes. I moved from a 2010 BMW 2.0i and only option was Audi or Merc.
Part of me was saying avoid Audi but when I drove the car it was day and night compared to the BMW. The engine is so quite and smooth power delivery.

The car is a 2009 2L TFSI with 87k. Before purchase the car i went through all the paperwork of the repairs. In Dec 2016 at 58k it had stage 1 and failed. Then there is warranty paperwork for stage 2 repairs cost £3.4k.
But 2 weeks later another warranty invoice for almost £7k full engine replaced. I only purchased the car because of the complete engine was replaced assuming the problem is fixed.

The new engine has 30k miles on it. My question is that new engine fitted with better rings or am I back to square one :(

I have done a oil change and fitted a dipstick to monitor the oil and only done 120mile so far and waiting. I only do short trips in town.
May ask what is normally oil consumption please. Surely the Audi would not fit a replacement engine with a faulty one?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Amazing thread, many stories of happy TFSI owners.

I am aware of the TFSI oil consumption issues and the stage 1 to 3 fixes. I moved from a 2010 BMW 2.0i and only option was Audi or Merc.
Part of me was saying avoid Audi but when I drove the car it was day and night compared to the BMW. The engine is so quite and smooth power delivery.

The car is a 2009 2L TFSI with 87k. Before purchase the car i went through all the paperwork of the repairs. In Dec 2016 at 58k it had stage 1 and failed. Then there is warranty paperwork for stage 2 repairs cost £3.4k.
But 2 weeks later another warranty invoice for almost £7k full engine replaced. I only purchased the car because of the complete engine was replaced assuming the problem is fixed.

The new engine has 30k miles on it. My question is that new engine fitted with better rings or am I back to square one :(

I have done a oil change and fitted a dipstick to monitor the oil and only done 120mile so far and waiting. I only do short trips in town.
May ask what is normally oil consumption please. Surely the Audi would not fit a replacement engine with a faulty one?
You should now be fixed better than fixey fix the fixer from fixville!
However remember that the engine is still designed to use a small amount of oil so keep monitoring it.
Do you have the part number for the dipstick? I hate not having one

·
Registered
34 Posts
06J115611L :)

06J115611L :)

thanks for that 👍🏼

I forgot to tell you how much oil the engine is supposed to use. I can’t remember off the top of my head but it’s not much.
You have a ‘fixed’ engine so if you check your oil every two thousand miles or so, it should need only a small amount - 500ml or so. It probably depends how you drive as well.
This is a great forum and the information is probably on here. Somewhere.... 🤣

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi just thought I'd share my recent experience with you all.

I have a 2011 A5 coupe 2.0 TFSI quattro bought in Spring 2019 which now has approx 58k miles.
It has full Audi service history up to 2016, 2 independent services in 2017 & 2018, & 2 mini services including oil changes done by myself in 2019 & 2020.
Full VAT receipts are in my possession.

I have read this thread with great interest from start to finish - many thanks to all posters - & was coming to the conclusion that I did indeed have the dreaded oil consumption issue.
I guessed I was probably using 1/2 litre of oil every 300-400 miles.

I've had very little contact with my 2 nearest Audi main dealers apart from the odd spare parts etc before this.

Armed with knowledge from this thread, I approached my nearest dealer & enquired politely about an oil consumption test.
Can I add my local dealer is an Audi Sport dealer with in the show room, when I first wandered in, amongst others -
TTRS x 2, RSQ3, RS5 Sportback, RS4, RS7, R8 x2, with another R8 outside to drive away today for £125,000.
Quite a lot of expensive metal I'm sure you will agree & slightly intimidating when you own a 9 year old car & are asking for help....

They were very helpful & agreed an oil consumption test straight away.

Test done & checked - failed as I expected.

The cars Audi service history they already knew & the independent & my VAT invoices were copied & sent to Audi UK for a possible warranty claim.
On my 9 year old car remember!

The news came back fairly quickly that Audi would indeed honour the claim & would contribute 80% of the cost for a stage 2 fix - pistons, rings, con rods & rebuild - cost approx £6,000 so the cost to me of approx £1,200.

I also added a few things including cam chain & tensioner, water pump & also had a new starter motor done which sounded like it was getting slightly 'sticky'.

I now have the car back & am very pleased with the results so far.

I'd like to add, all people at the main dealer were very easy & helpful to deal with & are a credit to the four rings.

I consider the 80% contribution from Audi UK generous & fair, & would recommend anyone in my place to ask politely & hope you get the same result.

Will update as mileage increases.

Update:
About 1100 miles so far & the oil level hasn’t moved a pixel on the MMI!
Engine also seems smoother & has regained some power.
Pleased & very relieved 😅

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all,
Just wanted to add to this thread, as I bought an Audi A5 2010 TFSI from an independent seller, little did I know that this vehicle had the very common issue of eating up oil!

After seeing this thread and everyone’s comments I decided to take it up with Audi, and after a two stage oil consumption test which lasted no more than 2 weeks, my vehicle is now in for repairs. I was offered the repair by Audi, as long as I committed 10% of the repair fees. Now obviously I think that they should take full responsibility, but because of the lack of Audi Service history, and a lot of the servicing being from independent garages, the service history for this vehicle wasn’t looking to promising....beggars can’t be choosers. But I’m more than happy to commit this money, and I understand that it’s a pretty big job. They will be changing the pistons of my Audi. I’m looking forward to see the results, and finally be able to enjoy the car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What's the mileage on the car and how much oil is it consuming?

TBH if Audi offered that 10% deal to me I would take. Looking at my warranty repair bill it was £3.4k without VAT on Dec 2016 so would have gone up a bit since so around £400 for engine rebuild is good deal.

If I was in your position I would ask Audi to also fix the chain tensioner at a discount rate since engine is out of car.
The tensioner is also a weak point until 2012.

With the lockdown and working from home I have only driven 350miles since the oil change and my oil level so far its only dropped 1 bar and stable.

I am waiting for the moment it drops 2nd bar :whistle:

Once the issues are fixed its actually a decent performance engine and good design suspension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What's the mileage on the car and how much oil is it consuming?

TBH if Audi offered that 10% deal to me I would take. Looking at my warranty repair bill it was £3.4k without VAT on Dec 2016 so would have gone up a bit since so around £400 for engine rebuild is good deal.

If I was in your position I would ask Audi to also fix the chain tensioner at a discount rate since engine is out of car.
The tensioner is also a weak point until 2012.

With the lockdown and working from home I have only driven 350miles since the oil change and my oil level so far its only dropped 1 bar and stable.

I am waiting for the moment it drops 2nd bar :whistle:

Once the issues are fixed its actually a decent performance engine and good design suspension.
The car is around 58k miles. In terms of its oil consumption, it would notify me to top up minimum 1litre after around 100 miles of driving.
I didn’t have a clue about the tensioner to be honest, would be wise to mention it to them and see what they can do for me.

Yeah the person dealing with me, told me to repair is going to cost around £6000 to £7000, I feel like he exaggerated tbh. But as I said, the cars service history was done once via Audi, and the rest were from random garages, so I’m more than happy to pay £600-700

If I have any more problems with this car, I’m going to have to tap out even though I rate the car. Do you know roughly how much getting that tension sorted will cost? Have you had it done before with your one?

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's the same mileage my car was fixed. Its unfortunate you did not research about this engine. Previous owners will never tell you about the fault and no actual way to test the consumption on the test drive. I did some homework before purchase and only looked at cars that had the pistons upgraded by Audi and supported with paperwork.
I understand the chain tensioner is a engine out job or remove the front end of the car for access. Some people have have replaced it around 100k and some earlier.
My engine was far too gone for piston rings repair so Audi fitted a new engine and its 31k miles on new engine. I am praying the engine in Dec 2016 was later revised engine with all issues fixed.

Speak to Audi and ask them if they can do a new chain and tension at a reduced rate since the engine will be taken out the car for piston rings repair.
Once you have the pistons and tensioner sorted its a decent low mileage engine you have and will go on for 150k+ miles easy with good interval oil service.

Watch this video :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's the same mileage my car was fixed. Its unfortunate you did not research about this engine. Previous owners will never tell you about the fault and no actual way to test the consumption on the test drive. I did some homework before purchase and only looked at cars that had the pistons upgraded by Audi and supported with paperwork.
I understand the chain tensioner is a engine out job or remove the front end of the car for access. Some people have have replaced it around 100k and some earlier.
My engine was far too gone for piston rings repair so Audi fitted a new engine and its 31k miles on new engine. I am praying the engine in Dec 2016 was later revised engine with all issues fixed.

Speak to Audi and ask them if they can do a new chain and tension at a reduced rate since the engine will be taken out the car for piston rings repair.
Once you have the pistons and tensioner sorted its a decent low mileage engine you have and will go on for 150k+ miles easy with good interval oil service.

Watch this video :)

View attachment 179118 View attachment 179119
Yeah it’s a shame, that’s the problem when you buy it off someone completely random, but a rookie mistake for not researching the car thoroughly enough and informing myself of potential problems.

Yeah I’m definitely going to give them a ring and suggest to make those changes as well. Having all this sorted should relieve the stress of having to get it repaired and pay a hefty price.

someone else suggest a carbon clean out as well, so let’s hope that I can put these all forward and they accept without complicating things...my money is being put forward at the end of the day so why shouldn’t they.

thanks for your suggestions mate

·
Registered
4 Posts
A big thank you to Ian for the original in depth post of the oil consumption problem, it has been enlightening. I must admit that I haven’t read every single post thereafter.

I bought a 1.8 TSI 2010 SKODA Octavia with less than 70,000 miles on the clock with a full and mostly SKODA main dealer service history last year from an independent used car dealer. It came with a 3 month engine warranty from the used car dealership. I found almost immediately that it used excessive amounts of oil. The engine code is CDAA.

After many emails to the dealership evidencing this oil consumption of on average 800 miles to a litre of oil they paid (£230) for an oil consumption test at a SKODA main dealership. I was asked to drive a minimum of 200 miles and return for the weigh-in test. I covered 446 miles and returned for the test. The results showed a consumption of 132g of oil over the 718Km. So their test reports a figure of 0.217 Litres per 1000Km which is well inside the SKODA 0.5 Litre per 1000Km.

By my reckoning this is 1Litre per 2862 miles which bears no resemblance to the amount the car is consuming. Since the test I have topped up two more litres and the overall average now over four 1Litre top ups is 710 miles per Litre. The SKODA dealership have been particularly difficult to deal with and won’t explain the discrepancy. I have complained to their head office but they remain adamant that the test was carried out correctly. I could get another test done by another dealership but I am not confident in the test procedure, certainly another engineer with experience of these tests has said that the sump plug and oil filler should have been sealed which wasn’t done but that wouldn’t have affected the result.

Has anybody else had a problem with this test not recording the correct consumption found by topping up? Has anybody any other advice? I have referred the matter to the Motor Ombudsman but this is a very lengthy process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Steve welcome.
Are you sure they told you it was a ‘weigh test’?
That sounds wrong & it would be wildly inaccurate.
The test involves draining & measuring the oil out of the engine, refilling the oil, driving 600miles/1000km, re-draining the oil & re-measuring. This gives an EXACT figure of how much oil has been used & therefore whether it’s out of spec.
Careful you’re not being fobbed off.
I didn’t pay for my consumption test either if I remember correctly - SKODA dealer may be different though.
I would take it further. It sounds like you have an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you sure they told you it was a ‘weigh test’?
Yes, they heat the engine to 80deg C, drain the oil for 10 minutes, rotate the engine 3 times and drain again for a further 10 minutes, they leave the old oil filter on. Use new oil, weigh it with the container. On return after at least 300Km they heat the engine to the same temperature drain the oil in the same manner and weigh it again in the same container. The difference being the weight of the oil used, they have used the specific weight of 0.84 kg/l for the oil.

·
Administrator
4,615 Posts
Yes, they heat the engine to 80deg C, drain the oil for 10 minutes, rotate the engine 3 times and drain again for a further 10 minutes, they leave the old oil filter on. Use new oil, weigh it with the container. On return after at least 300Km they heat the engine to the same temperature drain the oil in the same manner and weigh it again in the same container. The difference being the weight of the oil used, they have used the specific weight of 0.84 kg/l for the oil.
the official procedure involves a milage of 1.000 km / 600 miles as mentioned by Steve J.
this mileage is rather precise, 900 km or 1100 km will give you a failed test.

721 - 740 of 748 Posts