Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

701 - 715 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought I would post to share my recent experience with Audi UK and Leeds Audi regarding my 2.0TFSI oil consumption issues.

I have a 2011 A5 2.0TFSI Sportback Quattro, I bought it privately back in June with 70k on the clock and have loved the car so far.

However a few months after purchasing the car i noticed it was low on oil according to the MMI so I had it serviced by the local garage i use and then started to monitor the oil usage. It was soon apparent that It was burning oil at a fast rate so after reading some of the previous posts on here I decided to contact Audi UK first so that I could open a case and get a reference before contacting Leeds Audi. Once I had received the case reference I got in touch with Leeds Audi who got me booked in the next day for the oil consumption test which was free of charge.

6 weeks later I had covered the 621 miles and the MMI wasn't registering much above minimum so I knew it had likely failed the consumption test. I took the car back to Leeds Audi who confirmed that the car had failed the consumption test. Leeds Audi then sent the report with the results and all my service history to Audi UK.

I was unsure whether I would be eligible for any sort of contribution due to the car now being 8 years old and not having Full Audi Service History (7 stamps - 4 from Audi and 3 from independent garages). However within a week I have received a response from Leeds Audi who have confirmed that I will be receiving a 90% contribution towards the engine rebuild and I would have to contribute 10%.

Obviously I still feel that I should not have to pay anything towards this repair as it is a design issue however I have agreed to pay the 10% contribution as I love the car and would like to keep it. So my car is going back to Leeds Audi in a few days for the engine rebuild, I have also asked that the timing chain tensioner is replaced while the engine is stripped down just for my own peace of mind.

All in all i'm pleased with my experience so far, Leeds Audi have been really helpful and Audi UK were also quick to come to a decision on the repair.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 2011 tfsi 2.0 and had no idea about this.problem stupidly. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and after about 300 miles half the oil was gone. Now there is a 3 montbs warranty on it with the dealer. Should i be phoming up and saying or what. Im starting to panic now after reading all this.

·
Read Only
30 Posts
I just bought a 2011 tfsi 2.0 and had no idea about this.problem stupidly. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and after about 300 miles half the oil was gone. Now there is a 3 montbs warranty on it with the dealer. Should i be phoming up and saying or what. Im starting to panic now after reading all this.
Run, don’t walk, back to the dealer and demand a full refund. IMO it’s not worth the effort for you to take this problem on to get fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts

1. I just phoned audi amd he said top it up with oil and if it runs out before 600 miles then book it in to be investigated
You shouldn't be topping the oil up to then cover 600 miles, Audi should be doing this as part of the consumption test.
I would get a case logged with Audi UK if i was you and then arrange for the consumption test to be carried out. This was free of charge for me.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Blimey. I knew it was bad but this is amazing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have 1.8t (2010) in Europe since 3 years. Very low mileage (103K kms or 64 K miles). Have oil issue as well but not so bad. I will change the Oil Separator with the updated one (with white lid) and will switch to Liqui Moly 4200 (5w30 C3) oil from current Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 C3 Dexos2.... Today I have already started a new thread to get ideas of the members....FYI.

·
Registered
Audi A3/A5/A6 and Mitsubishi Evo 8
6 Posts
I buy A5 Quattro 2011” 2.0tfsi and have oil issue but is for 5500-6000km 1 liter. Maybe is not bad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I switched from Mobil 1 5w30 ESP C3 vw504 to liqui moly 4200 5w30 toptec c3 oil. The oil consumption is a bit less but nearly same.

Considering to switch to 0w40 vw502 now. Will it be okay to use a3b4 vw502 instead of c3 vw502 oil. Both with vw502 which is also recommended at car manual together with vw504. But there is a text saying use max 1 lt of a3b4 when adding oil. So I should stick with c3 oil? Is that really the case for the 2010 audi a5 1.8 TFSI 118kw gasoline engine ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought I would post to share my recent experience with Audi UK and Leeds Audi regarding my 2.0TFSI oil consumption issues.

All in all i'm pleased with my experience so far, Leeds Audi have been really helpful and Audi UK were also quick to come to a decision on the repair.
That's good the dealer sorted it. How much did the repair cost?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I realise the advice is not to ignore it. But do we know how long a car will last without fixing the problem? Until the engine breaks or the amount of oil used to be replaced makes it un-drivable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Went to castrol 5w40 edge (c3) with the vw502 approval. No consumption since 1 week and 300 kms...Which shows nothing yet as it is very recent, however an oil burning car would burn some even in 300kms which is a good point.
No fault codes or problems so far. Will also check the lower intercooler hose for possible oil leaks from the turbo.

701 - 715 of 715 Posts