Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
741 - 748 of 748 Posts

·
Administrator
4,615 Posts
One car I am looking at has recall 15d6 recall completed in April 2011.
I think this camshaft.
Do you know if this also fixes the oil consumption issue?
It's a 2010 2tfsi. A5 convertible
Thanks
in order to solve the oil consumption problem, the engine needs a replacement of pistons and conrods. this has nothing to do with camshafts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A huge thanks to you for publicising this oil problem. It is still an significant issue with many Audi A5 drivers and without your information I would never have known the cause of it. Audi should have done a product recall and advised owners who might be affected, but did nothing until they had no option and then as far as I can see as little as possible.

I bought my Audi A5 2 L new from Oxford Audi in January 2012. It had high oil consumption from the start and I reported this at the services during the 2-3 warranty period but no action was taken to rectify if and I was not told of any problem or that the oil problem needed dealing with. I have low mileage only 60k to date but recently the oil problem has become much worse using 1 litre every 2 weeks, although I am doing very low mileage due to COVID etc. On a number of occasions recently the car has starting chugging and misfiring alarmingly, showing the EPC – engine management system warning light and shuddering violently. I had to have new spark plugs each time to remedy this. The cause was oil coating the spark plugs.

Thanks to your chat room I've had the requisite tests to show that my car has the problem, but Oxford Audi heard from Audi UK that they will only fund 80% of the remedial work requiring me to pay over £1,000, giving no reason. I've written to the Audi UK MD Andrew Doyle but received a standard letter from a customer service rep saying they offer a warranty for such things. I've written to the MD again since if Audi UK only acknowledged the problem in June 2015 after the Watchdog exposure a 3-year warranty on a car manufactured with this oil problem between 2008-12 would have run out. I don't see why I should pay to have this manufacturing problem fixed. I have not contributed to it and Audi have behaved disgracefully without integrity or honesty.

Has anyone reported this to trading standards since the affected cars were not fit for purpose when sold?
Any other advice of how others have got Audi to pay in full to rectify their fault gratefully received.

Audi obviously don't want repeat custom from us.

·
Administrator
4,615 Posts
well, my A5 MY 2010, which I bought new myself, developped the oil consumption problem at a mileage of 150.000 km
as it got worse and worse, my car was tested in october 2020 and it failed.
the engine was completely rebuilt with new pistons and conrods, all free of charge.
I did have to pay for new camshaft chains and a few other things.

the reason for this courtesy was very clear: I do have a fully documented service history from day one. all service and maintenance was done by official Audi dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, but it is not a courtesy that Audi paid for the repair, it is product liability. As you have said in the summary of oil consumption problem it is manufacturing fault that Audi was aware of and did nothing about, as it should have done, until the class action in the USA. These affected Audis were then not fit for purpose when sold and not within Audi's own specification. They should have been recalled and the fault rectified. It is obvious from what you have said that the outcome is inevitable and not dependent on where and if there is a complete service history or whether it is serviced by Audi dealers or others. There might be some legal justification for Audi not paying for all the repairs if not having a full service history or the affected car not being serviced only by Audi dealers contributed to the oil consumption fault, but neither does make any difference according to the information on this web site. Audi is just adding insult to injury by making excuses not to bear the full cost of the repairs as they should do. My car has a full service history as well. Whether you choose to continue to have it serviced with an Audi dealer depends on the level of service you receive.

Thanks again for all the information. I wouldn't have known otherwise. Audi certainly didn't tell me, even when I reported the high oil consumption to them within the warranty period when an Audi dealer was servicing my car. Audi has a statement about integrity on its web site after its parent company VW was given a large fine for emissions scandal, but doesn't appear to act with integrity in practice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A huge thanks to you for publicising this oil problem. It is still an significant issue with many Audi A5 drivers and without your information I would never have known the cause of it. Audi should have done a product recall and advised owners who might be affected, but did nothing until they had no option and then as far as I can see as little as possible.

I bought my Audi A5 2 L new from Oxford Audi in January 2012. It had high oil consumption from the start and I reported this at the services during the 2-3 warranty period but no action was taken to rectify if and I was not told of any problem or that the oil problem needed dealing with. I have low mileage only 60k to date but recently the oil problem has become much worse using 1 litre every 2 weeks, although I am doing very low mileage due to COVID etc. On a number of occasions recently the car has starting chugging and misfiring alarmingly, showing the EPC – engine management system warning light and shuddering violently. I had to have new spark plugs each time to remedy this. The cause was oil coating the spark plugs.

Thanks to your chat room I've had the requisite tests to show that my car has the problem, but Oxford Audi heard from Audi UK that they will only fund 80% of the remedial work requiring me to pay over £1,000, giving no reason. I've written to the Audi UK MD Andrew Doyle but received a standard letter from a customer service rep saying they offer a warranty for such things. I've written to the MD again since if Audi UK only acknowledged the problem in June 2015 after the Watchdog exposure a 3-year warranty on a car manufactured with this oil problem between 2008-12 would have run out. I don't see why I should pay to have this manufacturing problem fixed. I have not contributed to it and Audi have behaved disgracefully without integrity or honesty.

Has anyone reported this to trading standards since the affected cars were not fit for purpose when sold?
Any other advice of how others have got Audi to pay in full to rectify their fault gratefully received.

Audi obviously don't want repeat custom from us.
Audi have and still do free 100% repairs if you have full Audi service history. A work mate of mine owns that troubled engine. The car was driven very low miles so after 10 year it reached about 50K and issue started. The engine was rebuilt free of charge.
When shopping around for my car I came across many with engine rebuilt by Audi around the this mileage. The car I bought a year ago had the engine replaced at 58k miles in 2015/16. At that time the car was under Audi extended warranty.

TBH for £1k to have the complete bottom rebuilt professionally by Audi I would bite their hands off. That engine will give you many years of joy and its a decent drive too. Also you will be able to resell that car in future otherwise car is worthless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had exactly this problem. Brand new Audi A4 2.0 TFSI bought in USA. First light for check oil was already at 5000 miles. I reported the issue and from that point until about 87000 miles there were a lot of repairs done.
  • PCV valve changed twice or even three times
  • upper gasket changed
  • twice opened the engine for pistons rings
  • Santa Clause technicians came and offered a new engine or cash. I took the engine.

it turned out the engine cylinder bores where not ok as far as min and max allowance and that is why it was consuming oil.

At first the oil consumption was gone but then every 3-4K miles I had to add. It was definitely better but not completely fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've complained both to the Motor Ombudsman and Trading Standards about Audi UK refusing to fund the oil consumption problem repairs in full, as it was their manufacturing fault. I am also claiming for the additional oil since the oil consumption became very high - 1 litre every 2 weeks and spark plug changes, which the oil leak coats. Audi should not be rewarded for its unacceptable behaviour towards customers. A responsible high quality car manufacturer acting with integrity and honesty would have warned all owners who might be affected, carried out a product recall as soon as it knew about the manufacturing fault and carried out repairs swiftly and met the full cost. The UK managing director Andrew Doyle does not even read complaint letters to him and obviously does not value his customers. Audi have devalued their brand and the value of our cars. They cannot be trusted to take responsibility for manufacturing faults both current and future, so customers would be better buying another brand in future, since this or other problems may happen again, in fact some reports suggest there is still a manufacturing problem.

741 - 748 of 748 Posts