Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

The car is a A5 B8 sportback 2016

My navigation is showing zero satellites so the shark fin antenna is in for a replacement.
The car also has DAB radio on the MMI but it never worked for me. Currently it is only listing one channel which doesn't even work when selected.

I am wondering what the shark fin antenna is used for exactly, apart from GPS? And if replacing the fin antenna will fix the DAB radio too?
Would FM radio be the 2nd feature, and DAB radio the 3rd?

Obviously I want to buy the correct replacement fin, but when looking at used ones, I noticed that some only have 2 connectors while some have 3.
I am sure the blue one is for GPS, not sure about the rest though.
Telephone Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device Mobile phone
Input device Communication Device Telephony Mobile phone Gadget

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, they clear it up a bit. I also had a look in the cars schematics and that can help a bit more:

The fin itself is device R52

And it houses those devices inside of it:
R65 - Telephone aerial (* only models with phone)
R50 - GPS aerial (* optional equipment)
R170 - Satellite aerial (* only models with satellite radio) - at first I assumed this is DAB radio but like it was said above, aerials for FM and DAB radio are on the glass
R182 - Auxiliary heater aerial (* only models with auxiliary heater) - no idea what that is, anyone can explain?
Font Rectangle Parallel Slope Diagram

So looks to me like my fin would only need one connector - for the GPS.

Also I think the pictures I posted above are not the right fin. I think the A5 has a fin where there are wires coming from it through the roof and then connect to their own connectors, as opposed to having connectors on the underside of fin itself.

I think the correct part number is 8T0035503 and looks more like this

Font Cable Wire Eyewear Rectangle

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the information, that does clear it up.

I have Nav, so I should have a blue connection.
I don't have the SIM card slot or any phone/GSM functions, so no purple connection for me.
The car is a EURO spec so no green connection for satellite radio.
Also definitely no auxiliary heater in my car so no connection for that on the fin either.

I was reading about DAB radio and apparently it shut down in Ireland late last year.
The one station I am picking up is from the UK, but I assume its just a low signal so nothing is actually broken with my DAB system.

Also no fault codes about DAB radio, just an open circuit GPS antenna so its self explanatory.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts