Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've just kind of been stalking these forums for a while now but I figure it's time that I step out of the box and speak for myself. I am a student in NY in the States, which means that it's fairly young for me to have an Audi A5 right now - but the car is very appealing and my parents are very generous.

Just a few things when looking on the forums. Right now I have an order for a:
- 2009 Audi A5 Black Exterior
- Cinnamon Brown Interior
- B&O Sound System
- Premium Package
- Navigation Package
- Technology Package

Basically the car is fully loaded. it MSRPs at 49,465$ US dollars. I got the car (special order, it arrives in June) for 47,465$ US - after taxes, shipping regisration, etc comes out to about 52,000$ US. Is this a good deal? Or should I argue more. The dealer told me that for the Audi A5s they usually dont take off a penny. Is this true?

Another factor that was on my mind was reliability. Reading the forums it looks like this car is fundamentally flawed when it comes to the Engine. Is this true? How reliable is the car? Remember - I am in college and I dont want to be visiting the audi dealership every month because something went wrong for a few reasons:

1) I am only 19. They take me as a joke and they didn't think I was serious until I dropped the money on the table. I fear if I come in with a problem they will refuse to fix it.

2) My parents are buying me a luxury car because often I have to travel alot (600kms one way) and I need something reliable and comfortable. I dont want to spend 50,000$ on a car that will break down on me!

So what are your views on its reliability as well? Do you recommend the extended warrantee? If so, which one?

Oh, and one more question. Are the 19''s worth it? If they are I was thinking of trading in the B&O sound system for the 19s - your views?

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
If you are aged 19 and your parents are buying you an A5 you are very lucky.

I doubt if there are many 19 year olds in the UK in a similar position.. most of the 19/20 year olds I come across are at Uni, drive around in £300 Fiestas, Mums Minis or walk.... BUT in answer to your post.......

I assume that you are talking 3.2 Petrol A5.. typical (if not only US spec).. Not a bad motor but getting old and soon to be replaced in Europe (I believe with a 3.0V6).

Black is nice, Phantom better IMHO..
Cinamon Brown not a greatly regarded colour in UK but seems you folks in US like it.
B&O is BRILLIANT

I wouldn't trade B&O for 19in but would want B&O and 19in Y spokes, consider trading something else... BUT if your folks are buying talk them into both on the basis of protecting residual (final) value when you come to sell.

Finally I think you are a lucky(?other words) person ... when I was 19 I had a Ford Cortina!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha yes, I am very lucky!

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the Jet Black exterior, it's not offered for the Audi A5s in America. Only the S's get the Jet black. So I'm stumped here.

With respect to the 19's - I could trade in the milano leather, perhaps? I really feel awful asking my parents for an extra grand!

In terms of reliability, the Audi A5 or the 335i? I really need a car that won't break down thats one of my main factors right now. Two of my friends already have the 335i and they really enjoy it, however I dont want to join the lame BMW crew. I want a rare car! But if that costs me reliability and convience then I dont know what to do.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Haha yes, I am very lucky!

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the Jet Black exterior, it's not offered for the Audi A5s in America. Only the S's get the Jet black. So I'm stumped here.

What is Jet Black? Phantom is the colour here for metallic/pearlescent or Brilliant for solid. Colour is a matter of choice but I reckon metallic/pearlescent is easier to look after and looks good.

With respect to the 19's - I could trade in the milano leather, perhaps? I really feel awful asking my parents for an extra grand!

Trade Milano ... For what? Leather is absolutely needed in UK. Maybe Leather Alcantara mix .

In terms of reliability, the Audi A5 or the 335i? I really need a car that won't break down thats one of my main factors right now.

We've had Audi/VW since for nearly 30 years. NO breakdowns, have had a few problems but generally pretty reliable. BMW's are not for me unless it's a 70's 2002ti or tii or a Batmobile 635Csi the current stuff nad local dealers here turn me right off. Maybe it's different in the US?:D

I dont want to join the lame BMW crew. Nor do I.[/COLOR]

I want a rare car! But if that costs me reliability and convience then I dont know what to do.

Good luck with your choice.;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you are aged 19 and your parents are buying you an A5 you are very lucky.

I doubt if there are many 19 year olds in the UK in a similar position.. most of the 19/20 year olds I come across are at Uni, drive around in £300 Fiestas, Mums Minis or walk.... BUT in answer to your post.......

I assume that you are talking 3.2 Petrol A5.. typical (if not only US spec).. Not a bad motor but getting old and soon to be replaced in Europe (I believe with a 3.0V6).

Black is nice, Phantom better IMHO..
Cinamon Brown not a greatly regarded colour in UK but seems you folks in US like it.
B&O is BRILLIANT

I wouldn't trade B&O for 19in but would want B&O and 19in Y spokes, consider trading something else... BUT if your folks are buying talk them into both on the basis of protecting residual (final) value when you come to sell.

Finally I think you are a lucky(?other words) person ... when I was 19 I had a Ford Cortina!
Right then RGB

Ford Cortina!!!!

1) Mark what?
2) how old was it?

Answer the following correct and we can get a true reflection of you age:D:D

Also tell me it was not green:eek::eek:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Right then RGB

Ford Cortina!!!!

1) Mark what?
2) how old was it?

Answer the following correct and we can get a true reflection of you age:D:D

Also tell me it was not green:eek::eek:
OK OK .. Correct response follows..... I have had 3 but did not own necessarily own them in this order!

1. Mark 1 1966 Purbeck Grey.... Twin Webers +5.5J fat wheels briefly... (Yes mods...)
2. Mark 3 1973 (Life on Mars but nice Blue 2000E)
3. Mark 5 2000(GOLD 2000GL) I made £300 in a month and bought another Capri! (Same genre as the A5 Coupe... honest.)

Could have been yesterday Boom Boom.. so how old are you then??? Astons are old men's cars aren't they?:D

·
Registered
437 Posts
OK OK .. Correct response follows..... I have had 3 but did not own necessarily own them in this order!

1. Mark 1 1966 Purbeck Grey.... Twin Webers +5.5J fat wheels briefly... (Yes mods...)
2. Mark 3 1973 (Life on Mars but nice Blue 2000E)
3. Mark 5 2000(GOLD 2000GL) I made £300 in a month and bought another Capri! (Same genre as the A5 Coupe... honest.)

Could have been yesterday Boom Boom.. so how old are you then??? Astons are old men's cars aren't they?:D
Well not half as old as you:rolleyes::rolleyes:

To tell the truth I was in my mid teens when the 1st ford Sierra came out 15-16 I think, it was about the same time an Irish guy sang about "A good heart beat is hard to find":p:p

So lets see if you can work out my age from there, as for the Aston I must be the exception then;);)

And it by no means feels like an old mans car, but it was something I just had to have in this life:):)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
RGB and boom, let's not derail the thread topic please! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, I was just about to say! But it's quite interesting.

With reference to the Jet Black exterior - my apologies. I meant Phantom black. It's not offered for the A5 but only for the S5 here in America.

What I meant by trading the milano leather was this - I paid 1000$ extra for the cinnamon brown leather. If I downgrade to say a black interior, then I could get the rims at no additional cost. Is this worth it?

Thanks for the feedback thus far :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thanks TX, I was afraid of seeing another thread being dragged under by the usual suspects.....

Khanna, apologies for that - you are indeed fortunate - my thoughts are that if you are interested in protecting the car's residual value, then 19's (particularly in the US) and B&O are probably 'musts' and leather is expected in a car of this class. Colour-wise, I've seen the mustang/cinnamon and I think it would look superb with black, although the 'safer than safe' black-on-black combo is always going to be....safe.

An alternative might be to stick with your #1 preference and get some part time work to enable you to pay your folks the additional you have to spend on getting the spec you want!

Black paint is nice - a bit of a common/conservative/safe choice in the UK where it's the males' unimaginative equivalent of the default silver for women - but will look nice on campus all cleaned up for the NY summer.

As to reliability, my car's just passed its first birthday and thus far, it's been less reliable than any of my recent Alfa Romeos. Only niggling stuff tho' (new clutch. flywheel, master/slave cylinders, release bearing, dashboard trim, etc.) It's only stranded me one and all the work has to-date been covered under warranty. The Missus has had Audis for a few years and will hear nothing against them but she has a 3 mile daily commute and rarely racks up significant mileage).

My own experience isn't necessarily representative on its own, so hopefully some of my fellow forumees will contribute - I know there are some othe US-based 3.2 owners about!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Khanna, welcome to the forum. Please update your profile to display your location.

Yes, you got a good deal on the car. NY is an area of the country where dealers historically seemed to have been unwilling to sell the car for less than MSRP. However, given these economic times, dealers across the country (even in LA) are to willing to negotiate a better deal on the car. With $2K off MSRP, you did great!

Regarding the reported 3.2 V6 engine problems on the forum, it's hard to say how widespread it is. Yes, there are a few folks who've had their engines replaced. But, whether or not this is an issue for every single A5 3.2 V6 is anyone's guess. These could just be isolated incidents. I previously had a 2008 A5 with your exact specs for 6 months and did not have any of those reported engine problems.

As for the B&O system, there's a lot of debate on whether or not the system is all that. Personally, I think it's just OK. The system is sometimes lacking in the bass area, depending upon what type of music you're listening to. For the money, I suppose it's a worthwhile option to get. But, just know that the system may not blow your socks off (for some people it does).

Whether or not the 19" Y-design wheels are worth it is a personal choice for you to make. If you really, REALLY like them compared to the standard 5-spoke 18" wheels, then get them. I initially had the 19" wheels on my A5 and I got lots and lots of compliments on them. Ultimately though, I ended up installing some 20" aftermarket wheels because I wanted something different.

I loved having the Cinnamon Brown interior. In fact, that's why I chose not to get the S-line option because it only comes with a black interior. It sucks that Audi make you pay $1,000 for the Milano leather, but that's the only leather available with the Cinnmaon Brown interior. If you'd be content with a black interior, then I'd say save your money. Personally, I think having contrasting colors (i.e., black and CB) in the interior really make the car look a lot more expensive and classy.

Please note that everyone has different tastes and priorities, so what one person considers important may not be as important or aesthetically pleasing to another. Having said that, you need to take with a grain of salt all of the input you receive from the various folks on here. You should just get the options that are important to YOU and no one else.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
RGB and boom, let's not derail the thread topic please! :rolleyes:
OK TX just responding politely.

Cheers

RG:D

Haha, I was just about to say! But it's quite interesting.

With reference to the Jet Black exterior - my apologies. I meant Phantom black. It's not offered for the A5 but only for the S5 here in America.

What I meant by trading the milano leather was this - I paid 1000$ extra for the cinnamon brown leather. If I downgrade to say a black interior, then I could get the rims at no additional cost. Is this worth it?

Thanks for the feedback thus far :)
Black would look cool and I PERSONALLY would trade cinammon for a tent peg!;)

Black paint is nice - a bit of a common/conservative/safe choice in the UK where it's the males' unimaginative equivalent of the default silver for women -
Please do not suggest silver is a women's colour on Audis to Tracy, Jane, Sharon, Kay, Heather, Marie etc all have non silver motors... Silver is in this area an old mans colour... Rodney, Nigel,Vince, Peter etc etc...:rolleyes:

So Khanna .. back to the thread... stick with the colour you like. BLACK.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, many thanks for the replies guys!

TX: You had the same specs as me? Thats wonderful! I thought I crazy for getting all those options. Besides my friend hates brown and black together and thinks they dont match so she's been making so much fun of me! Personally the main reason I did not get the S-line package was for the interior seats. I loved the exterior upgrades but I really wanted fully leather interior seats and I asked audi if they could let me keep my own interior and they refused. So I guess no S-line package for me.

If you dont mind me asking, what made you give away the car?

Also, with regards to the 19''s, they come with summer performance tires and I was told that 19 inch winter tires are very impractical and I should downgrade to 18 inches. That means I will have to buy a whole new set of rims which.. is ultimately more money.

I dont think I want to change the leather. My debate right now is to either keep the 18s and have the B&O, get the 19's with no B&O, or get both and look like a spoiled brat infront of my parents!

As for reliability - the clutch is an expensive part to fix! Especially for audi and seeing that I'm a college student. What I'm trying to say is that my parents are only paying this much for my car because they expect reliability. They expect a car that will be fine and just go to the scheduled maintenance (which I have the warranty for) and thats that. I dont think they want any cost to maintain except for gas for at least the first two years!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah, there have been a few folks on here who aren't too keen on the black/brown combo. But like I said earlier, everyone has their own individual tastes and differing opinions. At the end of the day, it's your car. Back when I decided to choose CB interior, I didn't give a rat's *ss what anyone else thought. I bought the car for ME! I have zero regrets about getting that color. In person, it looks outstanding and the photos you see on here don't do it justice.

Why did I get rid of the A5? Well, the Brilliant Black paint was way too much effort for me to maintain. Keep in mind, though, that I'm rather particular (probably more so than most) about maintaining a pristine exterior. The BB paint is more susceptible to showing swirl marks and minor scratches if not washed and detailed properly. Even though I had the car professionally detailed and used proper washing techniques, it was the regular washing required that drove me nuts. That color shows up dust very easily after a day of driving around. Those things may not be a big deal to you, but they are to me. I went for a silver because it's lower maintenance. I found a dealership who happened to have a canceled S5 order, so I jumped on it.

BTW, I really don't want this thread to turn into a Brilliant Black vs. Phantom Black debate because I know someone on here is just dying to chime in and talk about how Phantom is much easier to maintain. But, it's a moot point because you're not getting Phantom Black as it's not a standard color on the A5 in the US. Let's save that never-ending discussion for all the other existing threads on the topic please!

Given your situation of being in NY with sometimes harsh winters and your desire to not shell out any more money for rims, perhaps it would be best if you just stuck with the standard 18" wheels. It's actually a good looking wheel, IMO. But a larger diameter wheel would look better on the car given its proportions. It's a trade-off really. You need to consider practicality for your own situation.

As for any issues the car might encounter, keep in mind that your parents won't be shelling out any money in the near future. Those types of issues should be covered under warranty for 4 years.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
BTW, I really don't want this thread to turn into a Brilliant Black vs. Phantom Black debate because I know someone on here is just dying to chime in and talk about how Phantom is much easier to maintain. please!
Moi ... je pense TX... BUT ...Given half a chance I'd have a De Lorean in 'easy to maintain' stainless anyday!;):D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow, many thanks for the replies guys!

As for reliability - the clutch is an expensive part to fix! Especially for audi and seeing that I'm a college student. What I'm trying to say is that my parents are only paying this much for my car because they expect reliability. They expect a car that will be fine and just go to the scheduled maintenance (which I have the warranty for) and thats that. I dont think they want any cost to maintain except for gas for at least the first two years!
I've had my A5 for nearly a year, and have had no reliability problems at all. In fact, this is my 4th Audi in the last 6 years, and while they haven't been perfect, any issues have been truly minor (cracked shifter knob, for example), and I've had no reliability issues with any of them.

IMO, forums, this one or any other, often make problems seem more widespread than they are. Certainly there are people who have had problems with their A5's-some of them quite serious. But they are a very small minority. Naturally, those who have problems post them, while it would be quite a boring forum if the thousands who didn't have problems posted threads like "Another trouble-free day with my A5"

I'd say that if you can get your hands on an A5, don't hesitate. I love mine!

·
Registered
953 Posts
it's a moot point because you're not getting Phantom Black as it's not a standard color on the A5 in the US. Let's save that never-ending discussion for all the other existing threads on the topic please!
I agree.

It would be really nice to have one thread where someone's "blinkered" colour choice isn't questioned. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts