Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steady now, tips, not... :)

I am planning a custom build exhaust project and would like you opinions on the exhaust tips below;
I'm thinking 3-3.5inch outlet. 4 inch I think would be a bit too in yer face.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Steady now, tips, not... :)

I am planning a custom build exhaust project and would like you opinions on the exhaust tips below;
I'm thinking 3-3.5inch outlet. 4 inch I think would be a bit too in yer face.
Prob no3.

I’ve had the second ones before with the Akro branding - they’re an Absolute nightmare to clean!!! Can’t get in the gap between the carbon and steel - gets clocked up and looks crappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the 1st double walled tip on my 3.0tdi, they looked good, but it was just a pair, 1 either side, but obviously looking at quad tips now.

My initial thought was the 3rd one, but not sure. The reason I included the 1st tip was because of Ade posting pictures of the AWE track exhaust. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
For me the top pic. I like Chrome tips they'll go black anyway if you don't clean them for a while so best of both worlds.
My tips were black when I bought the car I thought it was a black edition thing lol.
When I found out they were supposed to be Chrome I spent hours getting the Chrome back but much prefer them Chrome.
Just personal preference.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me the top pic. I like Chrome tips they'll go black anyway if you don't clean them for a while so best of both worlds.
My tips were black when I bought the car I thought it was a black edition thing lol.
When I found out they were supposed to be Chrome I spent hours getting the Chrome back but much prefer them Chrome.
Yeah mine are the standard chrome ones, not sure if they did black as an option?

I do like the plain polished stainless as had them on my TDi and you can rotate them so the slash cut follows the contour of the bumper a little more, but thinking they look 'old' compared to the 2 Akropovic style ones. Plus as you say, the black carbon tips are in keeping with the Black Edition styling. But 4 nice shiny tips do look good! My TDi ones, as I still had the DPF stayed clean apart from the road dirt. :)

Think I'm leaning towards the 3rd tip!? :unsure:

·
Registered
313 Posts
On my previous set-up I got mine from: www.tailpipes.co.uk which were really decent - black chrome resonated 4" tips- item number 102879 - however, they have a great selection of over 200!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link Pulsar! Some ideas there! :)

Some of them are expensive though! Over £500 for R8 exhaust tips!!??

·
Registered
213 Posts
Smokey ,I know what you mean ,I had no such joy with mine,as they had never been cleaned and the chrome was starting to whittle.
Despite spending hours with autosol and various other metal cleaning products they had gone to far.
Simplest option was to respray gloss black with engine enamel and that was me sorted.
Lucky the set on the miltek are cerakote black so need to clean as the soot cant stick to it.
I do like chrome tips and as long as you stay on top of them they look great when clean.
The pictures below show how they can go from looking grubby to looking really cool in just 10 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Prob no3.

I’ve had the second ones before with the Akro branding - they’re an Absolute nightmare to clean!!! Can’t get in the gap between the carbon and steel - gets clocked up and looks crappy.

For that reason alone Dave, I would go with the1st ones,quad pipes of course in either 90mm or 102 mm

·
Registered
506 Posts
The AWE do the 90mm or 102mm but bear in mind that the 102mm won’t fit a convertible

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordered the 2nd rolled carbon tips :)
My decision was based on the 1st where not quite what I was after and my car is the black edition, so no chrome except the rings and was thinking about the black or carbon types.
The rolled ends suit the rounded and smooth rear end. The 3rd are nice, but think the car needs 'sharper' styling for these to suit properly, maybe a carbon fibre diffuser with the vertical fins would suit the 3rd type more.

Also I will utilise the clamps rather than weld them on, so I can take them off for cleaning and could drill out the rivets and replace with stainless tappers to clean them properly as Andy dutch said.

Another reason for the 2nd pair is I can, if preferred, rotate them so the 'slash' cut can be more in line with the contour of the diffuser.

Have I convinced you on my decision!? :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
The AWE do the 90mm or 102mm but bear in mind that the 102mm won’t fit a convertible

Hi Andy the exhaust I have for sale is off a 2014 S5 convertible.
I had a question asked about the tips and when I measured them this morning they are 102 mm and they fitted a treat

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why would a larger tailpipe not fit a convertible?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts