1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
157 Posts
i agree and have replaced mine but the claim of 100% extra light due to a blue tint is rubbish; tinting the bulb can only reduce the amount of light emittted, but it might look "better" in this case more white, less yellow. Philips and Osram make the highest rated bulbs in tests and i would be careful using 100w bulbs as the lighting circuit is designed for 55w. Also not sure if 100w is legal on the road.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i agree and have replaced mine but the claim of 100% extra light due to a blue tint is rubbish; tinting the bulb can only reduce the amount of light emittted, but it might look "better" in this case more white, less yellow. Philips and Osram make the highest rated bulbs in tests and i would be careful using 100w bulbs as the lighting circuit is designed for 55w. Also not sure if 100w is legal on the road.

What with??

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So had you guys not seen Arvin's recent write-up about his installation of Hoen Xenonmatch foglight bulbs? (I believe these are the same ones Quattrings has installed as well.) Those bulbs operate at the proper wattage.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep read it but the UK manual makes the job a lot easier no need for a ramp ???, as for the bulbs I will wait on mine and report when I have installed

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yep read it but the UK manual makes the job a lot easier no need for a ramp ???, as for the bulbs I will wait on mine and report when I have installed
No need for a ramp, eh? Well, that's good to know!

·
Registered
157 Posts
agreed- i changed mine with no ramp. you should check that if you are going to use the 100w bulbs they dont blow fuses or overload the wiring as i have known this to happen with uprated bulbs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
As tx mentioned, I do hope my write-up helps out. I too certainly did not like the yellow OEM fog lamps. After replacing, I'm not ashamed to use my fog lights now! :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Norman,
Can you give a few more details as to how easy it was to change the bulbs - no need to go quite as far as Arvin with the excellent blow-by-blow account he gave in the other thread, but some details as to how to do this without access to a ramp.

Also, which bulbs did you fit? Auto Express raves about the Philips X-treme Power, but I don't think these are available as an H11 bulb - only H4 or H7. Is the Osram NightBreaker as good? I only want to change the bulbs if they actually look white, like the LEDs - not worth the money if they're better bulbs but still yellow.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I wonder if the choice to make the fog lights a lower color temperature (yellower) than the head lights is a purposeful engineering decision on Audi's part. It's my understanding that yellow light gives better visibility in fog and rain than white light with its blue components. That's why there's a market for purposely yellow fogs, and why yellow headlamps were mandatory in France until 1993.

I'm not saying I prefer the yellow. In fact, I can see myself doing the same mod that Arvin has. But I do wonder whether the yellow light is an oversight or done on purpose.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I wonder if the choice to make the fog lights a lower color temperature (yellower) than the head lights is a purposeful engineering decision on Audi's part. It's my understanding that yellow light gives better visibility in fog and rain than white light with its blue components. That's why there's a market for purposely yellow fogs, and why yellow headlamps were mandatory in France until 1993.

I'm not saying I prefer the yellow. In fact, I can see myself doing the same mod that Arvin has. But I do wonder whether the yellow light is an oversight or done on purpose.
Aerodave,

It's a good point, but then the best solution to the problem of reduced visibility in fog is to slow down! Fog lights only aim to light up the side of the road and the white lines, they're not really designed to point upwards at all and therefore shouldn't cause too much glare if they're white rather than yellow. White fogs are going to be better for driving in fog than just normal dipped main lights and no fogs...

I don't use my fogs that much anyway, it's mostly that they're on with the coming/leaving home function along with the LEDs and they do look a bit odd imho. It's a fairly cheap fix too.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It's my understanding that yellow light gives better visibility in fog and rain than white light with its blue components. That's why there's a market for purposely yellow fogs, and why yellow headlamps were mandatory in France until 1993.
Interesting point you make. After reading that, I did a quick search and found several discussions on this topic. It seems that the consensus is that yellow foglights don't necessarily do a better job of penetrating fog.

Link 1
"So the question becomes, to yellow or not to yellow? There's a lot of debate about this, but the research says that yellow lights are no better than white lights at penetrating fog. The theory bandied about was that yellow light has a longer wavelength and is therefore less likely to be reflected by the fog particles. Turns out, this is complete poppycock."

Link 2

Link 3

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Txcarguy

I didn't read the links you found because as with most things if you throw enough (out of work) scientists at a problem you'll get a fairly good cross section of opinion.

My changing of the bulbs is purely cosmetic (I know i'm vain) so thats it for me the fact that yellow light gives more visibility in fog doesn't really bother me but here's the thing if this is so why do they only work when the dipped beam (xenon white) is on?

Scratch.....Ill post an account of how the replacement went when I complete it this week.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Txcarguy

I didn't read the links you found because as with most things if you throw enough (out of work) scientists at a problem you'll get a fairly good cross section of opinion.

My changing of the bulbs is purely cosmetic (I know i'm vain) so thats it for me the fact that yellow light gives more visibility in fog doesn't really bother me but here's the thing if this is so why do they only work when the dipped beam (xenon white) is on?

Scratch.....Ill post an account of how the replacement went when I complete it this week.
A very good point indeed - if they're deliberately yellow to penetrate fog, then surely the Xenons would cancel out any potential advantage because they are just so white?

I'm with Normanh on this one - it's purely a cosmetic thing, but don't think I'll go the same route as him with the 100W bulbs. Would rather have 55W ones, but I do want white - anyone got an opinion on the Osram bulbs? Can't seem to find the Hoen ones Arvin used on any UK website.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Used Osram bulbs before in my e90 they were fine but more expensive. For £10 these will do me

As for the 100w v 55w can't find anywhere it says max wattage is 55.

If we are all so careful then why do we do remaps, lowering springs, 20" wheels etc etc etc???????

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Don't know. But, I'm with you, norman. I actually have some Hoen foglights in route to me. I'm changing from the factory lights for the same reason as you ... purely cosmetic. :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
i know what you are saying but if its meant to be a 55w system you will soon know. but then it may be ok.
the remap etc thing i see your point but in this case its talking about nearly double the wattage. that would be like doing a remap to 400bhp+
small increases and some things can take it, but i think it was just a friendly word of caution

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Kenny

I know you're right and we shouldn't drink and we shouldn't eat this and we ..............where will I stop.

Your anolgy with the remap is quite funny, I mentioned it to show we change things that Audi wouldn't necessarily approve of and the car is fine. I didn't mean you to take it literally increase for increase.

I didn't ask for opinions in this matter I have been using 100 / 150w bulbs in less sopisicated cars than this one all my driving career never had a problem .........sorry just once the battery in my mini went flat.

I was just saying what I was doing I had an opportunity to buy 100w against 55w and i took it.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
please dont take me the wrong way, in no way am i having a go at you. i think using what you are talking about is fine.

i just mentioned the remap in that way as i thought you were talking about its ok to increase pre set factory standards

i know many people who have run uprate bulbs with no probs and some who have had probs

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.