Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Check Engine Light just came on....

2009 S-Line Audi A5

Any common problems, Or am I totally boned... I'm gonna have to drive on it as I'm 20 yrs old and they won't give me a rental car, or loaner. Here's to hoping it's a sensor.

-Matt

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
643 Posts
I highly recommend you do not drive way and find another way to get around ASAP. You gotta have a relative or close friend or someone who'd be willing to loan you a car for a bit? :\

Sucks, btw. sorry :(

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

2009 S-Line Audi A5

Any common problems, Or am I totally boned... I'm gonna have to drive on it as I'm 20 yrs old and they won't give me a rental car, or loaner. Here's to hoping it's a sensor.

-Matt
Is the car running ok? If so, try this. Disconnect your battery and leave it that way for ten minutes. Then reconnect. You may well find that the light goes out as all of the sytems reboot. If the car is running ok (temperature, oil pressure etc) then chances are that it's to do with the emission controls. You may also find that a long drive sees it go out as any deposits in the Catalytic converter get burnt off. This is not usually a major thing, but if all else fails get it onto a diagnostic machine at the stealers. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts

-Matt
I can't believe the dealer won't give you a loaner for a warranty issue. :yikes: Your age shouldn't be an issue if you dropped almost $40k on a freakin car, they can sacrifice and give you a loaner. I'd get on the phone or e-mail Audi of America customer service ASAP. Is there a different dealer you can take it to?

The solid engine light in most cars means it is still drive worthy but needs to be taken in. And yes 9 times out of 10 an emissions thing tripped and resetting the computer is all it takes. If the check engine light is flashing pull over call 24-hour assist and get it towed to the nearest dealer.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Solid CELs are non-critical, and *usually* have to do with emissions control equipment. It's generally fine to drive with a solid CEL. If you have a flashing CEL, then it's best to stop the car and get a tow to the dealer.

I wouldn't fret about the CEL. Bring it to the dealer; the scan is an easy operation and you'll know right away.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Just like with commercial car rental companies, rental insurance policies stipulate that the driver must be over 25 (sometimes 21). So it's not the dealer being difficult, but the insurance companies.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Is the car running ok? If so, try this. Disconnect your battery and leave it that way for ten minutes. Then reconnect. You may well find that the light goes out as all of the sytems reboot. If the car is running ok (temperature, oil pressure etc) then chances are that it's to do with the emission controls. You may also find that a long drive sees it go out as any deposits in the Catalytic converter get burnt off. This is not usually a major thing, but if all else fails get it onto a diagnostic machine at the stealers. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:
I don't think it works on the latest Audi cars, maybe 10 years ago. :no:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I don't think it works on the latest Audi cars, maybe 10 years ago. :no:
Worth a try though, if it saves a trip to the dealership, and I can vouch for the fact that it definately works with other VAG cars. Volkswagens are notorious for bogus warning lights.:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
My CEL went solid on my S5 this week... Car is in the dealer again, no word on what it is.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL

I brought it in and found out what it was.... Turns out my moronic little brother took it to go get gas 3 days ago and left the car running while he fueled up! MORON!

Free fix, back the same day I took it in.. Woot!

-Matt

·
Registered
314 Posts
The dealers told me it was my fuel injector or something...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the light can mean a lot of things, in your case it was an injector malfunction.. mine pointed them in the way of the EVAP system, they ran a few tests and everything was good.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The emissions control light seems to be a bit of a problem on the A5 - mine has come on six or so times now in the 18 months I've owned the car. Only once has anything actually been 'wrong' (throttle valve control unit replaced under warranty).

It's on again now and going into the dealer on Tuesday morning.

As the advice above says, I've been told by several dealers that a solid amber light is not critical and as long as car feels ok to drive, then it is safe to do so.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mine came on yesterday too, but my EPC light came on first, and I picked up my car from the dealer that morning from a Throwout bearing/clutch/flywheel replacement job. Don't think mine is going to turn out to be emissions...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Currently sat in West London Audi after my emissions control light came on this morning. Only 5,000 miles on the clock - very frustrating. Not helped by the fact that I called my local dealer, who told me to call roadside assist who told me to drive it to the nearest dealer (West London) who originally said that they could look at it in 3 days time. Finally they agreed that I could bring it in and wait. So, right now, I'm 100 miles from home, have had to cancel my meetings for the day and am somewhat in the dark. Feeling a bit grumpy to say the least !!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts

2009 S-Line Audi A5

-Matt
Your way too young to own this car. Should have to wait until..oh...35ish. You need to drive crap for quite a few years to appriciate it! I had to wait, dammit! ;) Glad it was no biggy..kinda

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone tried this? (meaning the battery disconnect) Does it work?

My light is on the 2nd time now in 7 months.... bummer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Anyone tried this? (meaning the battery disconnect) Does it work?

My light is on the 2nd time now in 7 months.... bummer.
I'd suggest taking into the dealer. You could try disconnecting the battery, but why bother when the car is under warranty - make it your dealer's problem. Mine ended up having a complete software update...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts