Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my new, portable harddisk of 320Gb arrived and it works perfectly with the AMI / USB setup in the S5. The disk is really small and fits perfectly on the "tray" in the dash.

Here a pic: XXS

Now I have to ripp some more of my CDs to get this 320Gb a little bit filled! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
S4, that’s fantastic, thanks for letting us know. I just love this site.

I’m sure this is going to be a stupid question, but could you just confirm it pulls MP3 tags, album song titles etc across and displays on the MMI.

Dabs.com have these for £68 perfect replacement for the 8gig IPod!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
S4, that’s fantastic, thanks for letting us know. I just love this site.

I’m sure this is going to be a stupid question, but could you just confirm it pulls MP3 tags, album song titles etc across and displays on the MMI.

Dabs.com have these for £68 perfect replacement for the 8gig IPod!
Yep, it displays the id-tag on the MMI screen as well as (in short form) on the BIS display in front of you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks ordered mine tonight, ive got over 250 gigs of music, and just love the idea of having this in the car. The Ipod was getting repetative as i just keep forgetting to change and re-sync the bloody thing!

Thanks again S4.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Click here to see pics of the MMI screen showing the ID3 tag information.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks TX, ill be playing today. Do you get the USB cable as standard or is it another optional £30 like the IPod cable?

R

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Thanks TX, ill be playing today. Do you get the USB cable as standard or is it another optional £30 like the IPod cable?

R
Well in the US anyway, you get 1 AMI cable included free with the car when you order Nav (and I assume with the standalone AMI option now available on MY2009 cars). The cable is sourced by the dealership. So, when you take delivery of your car, you specify which cable you want. I chose the USB cable.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Anyone know the part number for the USB cable?? Much appreciated.
See this link to another thread listing part numbers (UK) for all the AMI cables. According to that, the USB cable part # is 4F0 051 510 G.

·
Registered
158 Posts
See this link to another thread listing part numbers (UK) for all the AMI cables. According to that, the USB cable part # is 4F0 051 510 G.
Thanks - I couldn't find that anywhere. However, I actually think the part I need is 4F0 051 510 H, as the "G" part if for USB type A connectors. This is the type you see when you plug something into the back of your computer. This connection is rectangular in shape.

The "H" part is the "mini", which is the smaller, rounder, "cut corner" shape that you would see on the side of your mobile or blackberry if you have a USB charger. That is the shape of the port you see in the photo here: http://www.freecom.nl/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=3887&CatID=400

It would appear that Greatone-d has had similar success with the "H" part: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/hard-drive-success-4319/index.html

If I'm wrong, feel free to let me know before I order it!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
AMI part numbers, including the cables, can also be found in my signature.

One can change the AMI cable from iPod to USB yourself, it is very easy to do. That is one beauty of AMI.

Note the two different AMI USB cables available, the regular one is a normal-sized female USB (you can enter USB memory sticks to it), the other is male mini-USB which is used by some smaller deviced and harddrives too I believe. Get the right one so you won't need extra adapters...

Pics of all cables at www.audi.de/mp3, just click Audi Music Interface and see the animation slideshow...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If I'm wrong, feel free to let me know before I order it!
Nope, you're right. I mistakenly referenced the part for the cable to be used with memory sticks. At the time, I was thinking in my mind that's what you would be using it for. :eek:

But since loc so kindly provided another link (with pics) for you to check out, I would do that to be on the safe side prior to ordering.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mobile Drive XXS Arrived

My 320 GB Freecom Mobile Drive arrived today. It's going to take me some time to get it loaded up, and it cost a fortune to get it to Canada (I had to order direct from Freecom), but I'm excited about this particular purchase.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You will be thrilled to have your music library in the car.

I have a 120 GB Western Digital Passport with 6000 titles (a subset of my total collection) in 320KB/VBR. Just plugged it in and it worked.

The B&O system and the Audi Music Interface is fantastic.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 320 GB Freecom Mobile Drive arrived today. It's going to take me some time to get it loaded up, and it cost a fortune to get it to Canada (I had to order direct from Freecom), but I'm excited about this particular purchase.
congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
how long after start-up are these types of drives taking to 'start-up'. I have an Western Digital drive that takes a good 2 mins before I can start to browse the menu etc - just displays 'your device is not working or installed properly' then just starts up 2 mins later!

thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
how long after start-up are these types of drives taking to 'start-up'. I have an Western Digital drive that takes a good 2 mins before I can start to browse the menu etc - just displays 'your device is not working or installed properly' then just starts up 2 mins later!

thanks
By god but that's slooooow. I have an external 160gig USB hard drive plugged into my computer and it takes a few seconds maximum to be available.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.