Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you guys here have replaced your xenon low beam bulbs with higher temperature colors? i.e. 6000K, 7000K, 8000K

I could not find any D3S HID bulbs at all. Wondering if D2S or D1S would fit the A5.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Do remember that it's a bi-xenon bulb that's in the A5/S5 headlight unit, i.e. it does the job for both the high beam and the low beam.

Also, the higher the colour temperature, the less actual light output.

And, if you do go ahead and replace the headlights with a different HID unit, then audi will probably void your warranty for the headlights and (possibly) the entire electrical system on the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do know the low beam and high beam share the same bulbs and I'm not trying to replace the HID unit. I just want to replace the bulbs with higher color temperature. I am aware of all these things. I just want to know if anyone has luck on finding the D3S bulbs in 6000 or 8000K.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes I do know the low beam and high beam share the same bulbs and I'm not trying to replace the HID unit. I just want to replace the bulbs with higher color temperature. I am aware of all these things. I just want to know if anyone has luck on finding the D3S bulbs in 6000 or 8000K.
D3S is a newer Mercury-free technology, the aftermarket bulb manufacturers are still playing catch up. You could probably get away with D2S if you changed out your ballast. More labor intensive but doable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D3S is a newer Mercury-free technology, the aftermarket bulb manufacturers are still playing catch up. You could probably get away with D2S if you changed out your ballast. More labor intensive but doable.
So I guess I just have to wait for the aftermarket D3S bulbs to come out then. Thanks a lot anyways.

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
@1sicka5, do you have any photos mate? If not, what do they look like vs the stock? I have had aftermarket hids in my previous car (8k), but i was curious to see what they would look like vs the DRLs and if they actually looked ok together.

·
Registered
499 Posts
They look pretty nice, I turned them on when I installed just the left side and the 6k looked way better. The 6k match the DRL's better. I also put 6k hid fogs so my front is basically all matched up.

Here are some pictures of 6k on my old car:

6k on the left vs 4300k (stock)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here are pics of the light before and after (it's an A4, but gives you some idea).

original

comparison

Hey, 1sickS5, I recognize the grey A4 with Oettigner kit. I used to have a B6 S4 in black with full Oettinger kit too. You know how is that guy? Haven't heard from him for a while already (sorry about off topic).

·
Registered
72 Posts
1SickA5, Awhk thanks for the photos, 6000k does look fantastic. Awhk, will drop you a pm, would be most grateful if you could supply?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey, 1sickS5, I recognize the grey A4 with Oettigner kit. I used to have a B6 S4 in black with full Oettinger kit too. You know how is that guy? Haven't heard from him for a while already (sorry about off topic).
that was actually his last photoshoot before he parted the car out, he moved to japan i believe.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well I was hoping to find a set of 5000K but couldn't so I purchased a set of 6000K while in the states last week. Here is a pic. They match up nice to the LEDs. Lighting output is lower (as expected), but not by much.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I picked up some bulbs from HIDConcept.com. I think they are still having a sale on them. There was a thread a while back about removing the headlights with a step-by-step procedure (with pics) but I am having a hard time finding it. It was pretty easy to do though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
^ +1. I think it looks ricey. The stock looks more classy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.