Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm planning to pre-order a 2009 S5 BB with full options. But before I make this commitment I would like to get your opinion on the following

I live in Dubai , the A5 with no sports package is sold here for the same price as the S5 in the states, but the S5 isn't expected to be sold here any time soon and if it does the price will be far different If I were to buy it from the states.

My issue is I won't get the car to where I live until maybe ~ 7-9 months of waiting and my worries by that time many things will be changed for the S5

From what I got so far
• A new MMI system
• A new Biturbo V6 Engine to replace the current V8 engine expected on the September 2010 production models

Therefore, should I just ignore these expected changes and go ahead with the order knowing that I'm exporting the car from the states and knowing also the wait time , or should I wait untill my dealer where I live start selling this model and from what I heard that won't happen for at least a year if not more.

Another option I have on the table is to go for another car, the one currently in my list the new Jaguar Supercharged XF which isn't high on my list but I can consider it if i get discouraged from buying a S5

·
Registered
493 Posts
Do you have an another car?
If no then why dont you buy 1 that is already produced?
If yes than maybe you wont regret the waiting :) the S5 is a great car
You should go and testdrive it!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I believe i speak for everyone on this forum when i say it's worth the wait, hell i don't even have my A5 yet and i still know it's worth it. Most of the people with S5's have had to wait just as long as you if not longer. Like awpdisaster said, as long as you have another car, you'll be fine;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I waited 7 months for my S5. As others have said, it's worth the wait. It's been praised incessantly by many and with good reason. I think it's fabulous - it's also so easy to drive it damn fast, effortlessly. Pure joy.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
The 13 day wait was long enough for me. Managed to get near ideal spec that a dealer had pre-ordered. Not sure I would have chosen Adaptive Lights or Advanced Key or the Comfort Pack. Having lived with them they are all great though.

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
384 Posts
There's no way in hell you could get me to wait that long for a 60k car. If the M3 is easily available to you then I would get that instead of waiting that long. 4 Months almost killed me, to double that would be too long.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Yeh but an M3 is a BMW and who wants one of them eh?????! (hence the short wait)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Why would I want a BMW.

Sorry if this offends but I am told that they are:

1. Slow - No one lets you out in traffic
2. Dangerous - Indicators appear never to work (or not be used)
3. Have Poor Residuals - Due to being Common

·
Registered
384 Posts
Why would I want a BMW.

Sorry if this offends but I am told that they are:

1. Slow - No one lets you out in traffic
2. Dangerous - Indicators appear never to work (or not be used)
3. Have Poor Residuals - Due to being Common
I gave my opinion to the poster, not you :rolleyes:

Regarding 1 - M3 is faster than the S5
2 - Quite a broad claim
3 - Then why is the lease so much cheaper than an S5?

·
Registered
11 Posts

2 - Quite a broad claim
+1.....

As an ex BMW owner I can chip in as well :)

1. So is 335....
2. I agree.
3. Audi, Saab & Volvo have the worst depreciation in the US market.

As a reference, I sold my 2007 335 BMW Coupe for a little over what i originally paid for it..... It did have ultra low miles but GL doing that with an Audi..... BMW's Euro Delivery program of course contributed to this.

I think all Audi is doing is playing catch up and lately they are doing a great job at it...... but still playing catch up w/ BMW. 3 series are still the most successful selling cars in the world according to many sources.

For your reading pleasure if it already has not been posted:

S5 M3 & Lexus IS-F

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been waiting for 6. And I'm still not sure when it will show up. I think it's worth the wait!

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1.....

As an ex BMW owner I can chip in as well :)

1. So is 335....
2. I agree.
3. Audi, Saab & Volvo have the worst depreciation in the US market.

As a reference, I sold my 2007 335 BMW Coupe for a little over what i originally paid for it..... It did have ultra low miles but GL doing that with an Audi..... BMW's Euro Delivery program of course contributed to this.

I think all Audi is doing is playing catch up and lately they are doing a great job at it...... but still playing catch up w/ BMW. 3 series are still the most successful selling cars in the world according to many sources.

For your reading pleasure if it already has not been posted:

S5 M3 & Lexus IS-F

S5 top 10 residual values of 2008 of any car. It's a rare car and hard to get, the residuals are high for it. I suspect the V8 versions if they got to V6 will have extremely high residual values.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts

2 - Quite a broad claim
I am in the UK. What you folks do in the UK is a mystery to me ! Especially this Palin person.:D

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
31 Posts
S5 top 10 residual values of 2008 of any car. It's a rare car and hard to get, the residuals are high for it. I suspect the V8 versions if they got to V6 will have extremely high residual values.
What is your source for this info? I have heard the exact opposite, and S5s here in the UK with less than 10k miles and only a few months old are retailing (i.e. on the forecourt) at 10k GBP less than when new. That is not what I consider to be a high residual.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.