Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the Audi S5 for about 15months now, it has covered around 23,000miles. I bought it brand new from Glasgow Audi for just under £50,000.
Ever since I took delivery of it I have had nothing but problem after problem. To date the car has been back to dealership around 40 times for various different faults.

PROBLEMS:-
SAT NAV- hardware replaced after 5 trips to garage
ENGINE PROBLEM- hose replaced after 2 weeks in garage
ELECTRIC SEAT- seat stopped working, needed software upgrade
CD CHANGER- needed replaced after it stopped working
ADVANCED KEY- needed new handle
NEW DOOR SEALS- everytime I got car washed water would get into the car. I had to wait for 1 year to get moddified seals fitted (this problem still occurs)
HOMELINK- still doesnt work, I have given up trying to program remote
BLUETOOTH- my phone still doesnt stay connected to car
CLUTCH- replaced at 18,000miles due to so called driver error (my car has never been tracked or thrashed )

These are some of the problems that I remember, now I am totally fed up with the car and Audi. The advanced key doesnt work and needs a new handle (AGAIN) and there is a slight vibrating noise coming from the gear box when it is in gear. I just cant be bothered taking car back to the garage anymore. I totally understand that this is a new model and there were bound to be minor teething problems, but I think what I have went through is unacceptable. I tried rejecting vehicle a few months ago but had no luck, I got free servicing for my troubles tho. I even cancelled my order for an RS5 should it make production but it didnt make a difference.

I would like to know if there are other people who have had same level of problems as me with their 2007 model S5, and or if they recieved any compensation??????

P.S. I contacted Audi UK but they said it was between the dealership and I in regards to me rejecting the vehicle as they were the selling agent.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well sad to hear that. I've done as many miles as you and the only "issue" i have is a slight rattle from the B&O wires in both doors when the base hits a certain level and I'm turning (cables touching something that transport sounds through the wall).

I guess your only option is to sell it if you hate it as much as it feels like you do.

Can't walk a dead dog, you'd be dragging it. End this.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Sounds like a friday afternoon car. Take it in and part ex it for something you would consider more reliable. Unfortunately i think this can happen across all brands and models of cars. Some people can have ten times more problems that you have experienced and others barely a light bulb get replaced

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have had too many problems for what I would consider acceptable. Especially for Audi. However, i still love the car but I have at times thought that its not worth it.

1 - LED bulb went -replaced headlamp
2 - Alarm went off periodically. Mostly in the middle of the night - fixed on second attempt (seals were letting in damp)
3 - Advanced key stopped working on the doors - fixed on second attempt with replacement sensors
4 - Leather seat began to wear out on bolster. Replacement seat cover put on

Its in next week to have the leather seat looked at again as the lumbar support has stopped working correctly and the mechanism is pushing throuhgh and creating an indent as well as being uncomfortable. Will probably be a another replacement cover and correctly fitted this time.

Two other niggles that they dont know about yet are that at dusk, the dashboard lighting sometimes flickers on and off once it gets to a certain darkness. Its as if its just crossing the point of light/dark and cant make its mind up. The other is that the sat nav position triangle sometimes spins in circles as if the car doenst know what position it is pointing in. Both of these are intermittent and happen rarely but are an annoyance when they do.

Oh, and the power steering has started groaning when on full lock.

Every time it goes in or something happens, I get angry and want to change it. Once I am back in it, I fall in love with it again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Harry !

Good to know I am not the only one upset with this car and with AUDI !

Received the car in May 2008.

Since then :

20days in the workshop for finding why one bank of the V (4 cylinders) refuse to work !

20days in the workshop for replacing the clutch. Although it seems this is a common issue among the S5, AUDI in Greece insists it is driver's error !

Window noise ? Yes Sir ! Unfortunately it seems that my ears are more sensitive than AUDI technicians, cause they cant hear it ! I had to tell them the SB number, they had no clue it even existed . Even after they applied the SB the noice is still there !

MMI trouble ! Sure ! it keeps 'freezing'. They asked me to demontrate what I mean ! Unfortunately it does not 'freeze' on demand !

The best part : The front brake disk and pads as well as the rear pads require replacement... Ok so far... When are they replacing it ? It has been already a month since the requirement came up and the parts are still not available. So it is either : Leave the car home or try getting killed !

I addressed a letter to AUDI and I got rediculous answers, after a month over the phone ! When I asked for these to be in wrtitting the answer was : 'I don;t think we can do that, but I ll ask my boss'... That was 20 days ago... Still nothing.

It HAS to be the WORST choice I have ever made.

For well over 80k Euros, I could have bought other, MUCH MORE DECENT cars.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had a similar experience with my last car, a 530i. The damn thing popped a valve at the 1,000 mile mark and was in the shop for two moths while I waited for BMW to replace the entire engine - only after I had to convince them it wasn't because of "driver error". The car never ran right afterwards and was riddled with problems (radio, air conditioning, you name it).

It is a lousy feeling Harry, I can empathize. Swedie is right - drop the hammer on this lemon.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Hi Harry,

You should probably consider contacting your local trading standards officer to see if you can claim any compensation. They'll also advise that you contact SMMT, the motor trade ombudsmen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've experienced a few electronical "gremlins" but they have never happened more than once.

1. I've walked up to the car and it locked and then unlocked on its own.

2. The center console lights didn't light up (just the lights around the shifter.....all the other lights were on). Once I turned the dimmer all the way down and up the lights came back on.

3. Fog inside of the headlights.

The only real problem I have with the car is that when it's cold outside my brakes squeel under light braking around 10 mph. The dealership told me it's because of how "soft" the brakes are. Once it warms up there are no issues but it's still a little embarrasing having such a nice car squeel like that.

I still love the car though and wouldn't get rid of it.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
SAJ Where do you buy down south? There are a few crap ones down here + one or two excellent ones!!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I have had the Audi S5 for about 15months now, it has covered around 23,000miles. I bought it brand new from Glasgow Audi for just under £50,000.
Ever since I took delivery of it I have had nothing but problem after problem. To date the car has been back to dealership around 40 times for various different faults.
Harry

Sorry to hear about your problems, sound awful as you present it. Bit surprised after 15 months you haven't got more excited or joined this forum earlier. Why is that?

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
SAJ Where do you buy down south? There are a few crap ones down here + one or two excellent ones!!
Reading and Slough Audi have both been good to me, both are owner by Synter.

Our family has bought Audi cars for nearly 9 years now, we have never had major problems with any of them, yes there have been little niggles but they have been sorted. Edinburgh Audi use to be decent but ever since Glasgow Audi bought them over their sales guyz have had a chip on their shoulder. From day one of buying Audi Glasgow has always been the same, i've given them a couple of chances but they've never pulled through so now that they own a lot od the Garages in Scotland I by down south also I waited to get my car serviced in Reading rather than take it to Glasgow or Edinburgh. Refuse to give either my money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dont get me wrong I still like the car (when its on the road and not in the garage)
I just dont know what to do with it now. Everytime I think to myself thats the end to a certain problem something else comes up.

I tried trading it in after 6months but I would hav lost about 15k in value, If the garage done some sort of deal I would hav been happy buying another audi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Harry

Sorry to hear about your problems, sound awful as you present it. Bit surprised after 15 months you haven't got more excited or joined this forum earlier. Why is that?

Cheers

RG

Hi RG,
(and to everyone else on this forum)

It has certainly been an experience, It came to a point I hated the sight of an Audi because of the amount of time I spent in the garage (but then the R8 was launched)

I dont really know why I hadnt joined this forum sooner, if the car wasnt so unreliable maybe I would have been more enthusiastic about it and shared my joys with everyone.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I can't believe you put up with it for so long. I would present a documented fact sheet to your dealer and Audi CC and see what they say, threaten to tell Jeremy Clarkson!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
surprising

I'm always surprised that the same manufacturer could produce cars with such varying range in quality. I've owned 3 Audi's now (2000 TT, 2005 S4, 2008 S5) and all of them have been virtually flawless. Granted, the S5 is only 9 months old.

Maybe there are some other factors that can "shake out" some problems -- road quality, temperature changes (daily/seasonal), hills, and of course driver skill. But no doubt there will be some defective parts put in at the factory and it's just unlucky if you get a problem plagued vehicle. Still, I don't think Audi has any serious quality control issues. For me the opposite has been true.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I'm always surprised that the same manufacturer could produce cars with such varying range in quality. I've owned 3 Audi's now (2000 TT, 2005 S4, 2008 S5) and all of them have been virtually flawless. Granted, the S5 is only 9 months old.

Still, I don't think Audi has any serious quality control issues. For me the opposite has been true.
+2 We've had loads of VAG products and most have been spot on..

2003 A3 2.0TSi, 2002 A4 CAbriolet 3.0 Sport, 2005 A3 Sportback QuATTRO 2.0TFSi, 2006 A4 Avant 2.0 T Quattro s LINE sPECIAL EDITION, 2007 A6 2.0 Sline Avant, 2008 TT TFsi, 2008 a3 Sportback 2.0 170 Tdi Quattro S line, 2008 A5 (as signature) some minor probs, the only one we really did not like was the 2008 TT, Build quality generally very good apart from a wiring cock up on towbar on 2008 A3.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Maybe there are some other factors that can "shake out" some problems -- road quality, temperature changes (daily/seasonal), hills, and of course driver skill. But no doubt there will be some defective parts put in at the factory and it's just unlucky if you get a problem plagued vehicle. Still, I don't think Audi has any serious quality control issues. For me the opposite has been true.

I think the main factor of my problems is that it was an early model, I had to point out to the garage that the door seals on their car were different, so if Audi modified them, my car should hav been recalled and not been made to wait a whole year. And if other S5's are having similar clutch problems, is it not aparent that the clutch is not strong enough for this particular car???
I dont think Audi do enough by means of testing, all they are interested is getting the cars out on the roads as quickly as possible. How many people with advanced key are having common problems with it???
Why do we need to experiance a fault 1st hand and then take car back to the garage when Audi could send you a letter or notify YOU that there is a problem. Customer satisfaction is out the window as far as I'm concerned.
I wouldn't have minded being a "guinea pig" for Audi and testing their new model atleast I would hav known what I was getting myself into, the amount of time, effort and money I have lost going to and back from garage is a joke not forgetting all the extra miles on the odometer.

We have, and also have had various exotic cars in our fleet but this Audi S5 is by far the biggest DOG of them all. I understand many will think the car has not been looked after or driven in correct manner but I can assure everyone, thats not the case. I am the exclusive driver of the S5 and it has never been put under undue stress.

My local Audi centre didn't even have the decency to write back to me regarding my rejection of the vehicle, after they told me I had to write to them in the first instance. And when I asked for my deposit back on RS5 they told me I had to (surprise, surprise) put it in writing.

I suppose it all comes down to luck and unfortunately I have experienced more problems than others, it is still a great looking car tho, when its on the road and not on back of a flat bed, LOL!!!!!!!!!!

P.S I was promised an Audi driving experience at silverstone and guess what???
AM STILL WAITING FOR DETAILS (2months on)

·
Registered
432 Posts

Didn't your S5 have a problem with the emblems in the door sill? Also, didn't you sell your S5? What fer?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.