Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got into office and on the way here I thought I could hear some sort of worrying metal-on-metal sound coming from the passenger (left) side. So I wound down the window and sure enough I could hear something that sounds ominously like a wheel bearing grinding or somesuch...

I'm not overly technical, but it doesn't sound good. Seems more noticeable at slow speeds than high speeds - and under gentle braking.

I'm wondering if:

1. maybe I've got some grit or something stuck between a brake pad and disc - although had a quick look for any scoring on the disc and can't see anything.

2. Is it even possible for a 22,000 mile car to have lost the oil (or whatever it is) in the wheel bearings / hubs?

Having just had the car lowered by APS, I'm fearful that the dealer is going to palm me off with some kind of 'well, you've buggered your parts warranty' type excuse... Any other ideas what it might be?

And just another thought on lowering, while I'm here.

Was driving my newly-25mm-lower car along a residential 40mph street the other night when suddenly I noticed a small manhole cover lying in the street ahead of me (one of those small square 1ftx1ft types), since it was right in the middle of the road, I decided safest option was to straddle it to keep it as far away from new wheels as possible. Bad idea. Despite looking like it was only an inch or two high, I heard a mighty 'bang' as it went under the car... Have checked for damage, but it looks ok (am really hoping that isn't cause of sounds mentioned above). Was just very surprised that it made contact at all... Something to think about if you want to lower the car by even a modest 25mm.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Having just had the car lowered by APS, I'm fearful that the dealer is going to palm me off with some kind of 'well, you've buggered your parts warranty' type excuse... Any other ideas what it might be?
depends on the dealer. The local mechanics at my dealer love my car and the changes and it has had a couple of warrenty issues done since modification.

Was driving my newly-25mm-lower car along a residential 40mph street the other night when suddenly I noticed a small manhole cover lying in the street ahead of me (one of those small square 1ftx1ft types), since it was right in the middle of the road, I decided safest option was to straddle it to keep it as far away from new wheels as possible. Bad idea. Despite looking like it was only an inch or two high, I heard a mighty 'bang' as it went under the car... Have checked for damage, but it looks ok (am really hoping that isn't cause of sounds mentioned above). Was just very surprised that it made contact at all... Something to think about if you want to lower the car by even a modest 25mm.
With the H&R Springs, I ran aground a lot. Since moving to coilovers I dont run aground much at all. A couple of multi-storey carparks and thats about it. However, I did manage to pierce the undertry and require that to be replaced after pulling into a B&B at night and not spotting a piece of concrete sticking up. That made an awful noise when driving as the plastic flapped about. Only £37 to replace and fit though. Even cars that were not lowered were hitting that though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Unlikely to be a wheel bearing. When these start wearing the noise is more like a low hum that gradually increases in pitch. BTW it's grease in the wheel bearings :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hi Prhim, only a suggestion but one possibility is that you've got a stone trapped in between one of the n/s brake discs and the disc shield (haven't been out to check but I'm assuming the A5 has them - a metal plate that protects from ingress of various bits of debris to the brake assembly).

That problem has afflicted a number of my previous rides and sounds awful - but a quick fix and no damage.

However, if the A/S5 doesn't have such guards, then it's probably terribly serious and you're screwed.....

I've had no probs since lowering (some 12K miles ago, originally with springs and since with coilovers set to the same ride-height, maybe a fraction lower at the front. Car's never grounded on anything - must be a Dutch influence in Berkshire or something....

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a wheel bearing hum/whine in my left front too. I also have handling problems which feel like they are coming through the left front suspension etc. The left front of my car has seemed louder/looser since day one.
Also I think these cars have a very poor design of brake guard. I am plagued with trapped stones (at least i think it is trapped stones) all at the left front. The brake guard is aerodynamically designed and instead of running within 1mm or so of the brake disc, you can actually get your fingers between the disk and the guard at one end as it tapers off for aerodynamic effect. It is certainly not designed for roads/drives with loose chippings.
Seening that you have the bearing type problem, do you have any of the other probs that I have?
Namely:
Drifting / wandering on the road.
Knocking at the steering wheel. (start car, turn steering wheel itself about 45 degrees to right and then turn quickly left to right by small amounts. I get freeplay/knocking.
Also with left front jacked up, tap roadwheel with palm of hand or foot at the 9 o clock position, I get a metal on metal sound as opposed to the expected rubber bush type dead sound. This is also accompanied by a small amount of freeplay at the same left front roadwheel.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had a tiny stone trapped in the front brake disc/caliper,made a horrible high pitched screeching noise.Drove home about 2 miles,parked up let it cool,reversed off the drive,this immediately "spit" the offending stone out,all quiet now:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.