Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms of worn out clutch or the one that is close to worn out? From time to time I experience different behavior of my clutch.

1. When accelerating very gently from a standstill, 1st gear is working perfectly, but when I engage 2nd gear, car starts to move forward-backward for a second or two (only between 1000-1200RPM) and once I increase my RPM and accelerate further, it completely disappears. It happens only when I start the car in the morning and it is cold after sitting in the garage for the whole night.

2. When driving on a highway with speed around 100KPH (=62MPH) and I want to accelerate HARD in 6th gear, I can feel that my car is not accelerating in the way it used to before, that means the pull is not as strong, I remember 6th gear used to have stronger pull.

3. Hard acceleration itself feels not as strong as it used to be, but that can be my subjective feeling.

First point is probably the most important part for me as it is worrying me.
Second and third points can be just subjective feeling.

Thanks and excuse me for lack of my knowledge.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When driving on a highway with speed around 100KPH (=62MPH) and I want to accelerate HARD in 6th gear, I can feel that my car is not accelerating in the way it used to before, that means the pull is not as strong, I remember 6th gear used to have stronger pull..
Does the rev counter increase but the speed doesn't - at least for a short while? If the revs increase but the speed doesn't, your clutch is probably on its way out.

A quick test: with the handbrake on engage gear and let the clutch slip out. If the clutch is good, the engine should of course die fairly quickly. If it doesn't the clutch is probably worn. Best to get it changed sooner than later.

PS What's your car's mileage?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi,

What you describe are not symptoms of a worn clutch... worn clutch = slippage, and as suzy says, when at peak torque, the engine revs start to climb faster than the car is accelerating... a bit like putting your foot gently on the clutch pedal. you should not wear the clutch out befor 50,000 miles, unless you've been particularly brutal.

I think you have an engine/tuning related issue, possibly a MAF or lambda sensor problem as it would point towards incorrect fueling / engine management. Take it to a dealership and have them run diagnostics... these sorts of faults should be picked up easily by the diagnostic tools.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
3. Hard acceleration itself feels not as strong as it used to be, but that can be my subjective feeling.
With regards to this, your probably just use to the acceleration now. My exhaust doesn't sound loud to me anymore, but everyone assures me it is so it's just down to the fact i'm use to it.

+1 to what everyone else has already said.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Actually, now I think about it... you've got a Diesel. ...I'll bet my hat it's the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

Clogged, blocked or damaged. When cold, they can't burn off the particulates and get clogged easily, often causing the engine to go to limp mode. This problem is worse when you do a lot of short trips or regularly drive the car hard when cold... maybe your MTM box has compounded the DPF problem too.

You may need to get the DPF replaced, but one thing to try is a good long (20 minutes plus) run on the motorway once the engine is already up to full temperature. This MAY help burn of built-up particulates.

Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Interesting theory Ian. I 'feel' my 3.0 TDI has been down on power lately, but I don't tend to do short trips (at least, not under a minimum of ten minutes). Any ideas whether this is something I can check for myself, or does it need to go to a dealer?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Interesting theory Ian. I 'feel' my 3.0 TDI has been down on power lately, but I don't tend to do short trips (at least, not under a minimum of ten minutes). Any ideas whether this is something I can check for myself, or does it need to go to a dealer?
...nothing you can really check yourself... other than to give it a good 'ragging' (I mean 85mph run down the M4) for 20 minutes in 5th, not 6th... once the car is already warm. Fancy a burn to Newbury and back? ...Ess5 will join you!

...other than that, it's a dealership thing... being down on power could be any number of things, all fuel/air related, not specifically DPF... it was the 'jerky pick-up' when cold with Alejandro's car that made me think of the DPF.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the rev counter increase but the speed doesn't - at least for a short while? If the revs increase but the speed doesn't, your clutch is probably on its way out.

A quick test: with the handbrake on engage gear and let the clutch slip out. If the clutch is good, the engine should of course die fairly quickly. If it doesn't the clutch is probably worn. Best to get it changed sooner than later.

PS What's your car's mileage?
Hello, non of this occurs at all, when looking at instruments, all works the way it should, revs increase and speed does as well.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, now I think about it... you've got a Diesel. ...I'll bet my hat it's the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

Clogged, blocked or damaged. When cold, they can't burn off the particulates and get clogged easily, often causing the engine to go to limp mode. This problem is worse when you do a lot of short trips or regularly drive the car hard when cold... maybe your MTM box has compounded the DPF problem too.

You may need to get the DPF replaced, but one thing to try is a good long (20 minutes plus) run on the motorway once the engine is already up to full temperature. This MAY help burn of built-up particulates.

Good luck.
Lately, for almost a month I am driving this car shortly only, which means not more than 30 minutes ~ 25 kilometers, perhaps that really is an issue and I should take a longer trip perhaps.

Thank you for your suggestions, as I see now, the most important thing - the clutch, is OK, that is good. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lately, for almost a month I am driving this car shortly only, which means not more than 30 minutes ~ 25 kilometers
Ianhp1, +1! :)

I had it yesterday & today due to the fact that it couldn't complete the process yesterday (short drive). Typically the engine response is bad. And, with the Milltek catback, during regeneration it's much louder than normal too. That's why I like the regeneration process, wished there was a button for it... :D

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Hopefully its just an ECU reset. Even changing the DPF filter is fine under warranty but if thats the case with such a short mileage how many times is someone expected to replcae them in the lifetime of the car especially when they are £900 a pop each time plus fitting!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok guys forgive me if I'm wrong but isnt the acceleration problem
totally irrelevant with the clutch? I mean worn-out clutch symptoms
occure within the few seconds of a gear change.
For a real rough acceleration buy a 2.0T
(Ok just kidding :2thumbsup:)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys forgive me if I'm wrong but isnt the acceleration problem
totally irrelevant with the clutch? I mean worn-out clutch symptoms
occure within the few seconds of a gear change.
For a real rough acceleration buy a 2.0T
(Ok just kidding :2thumbsup:)
WHERE ARE OLD GOOD SMILES? :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::thumbsdown:
Anyways, I think worn out clutch does affect performance (acceleration).

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Allow me to disagree on that mate. I ve had worn out clutches on
other cars before, but I ve never had any problems while accelerating
or cruising. In fact I ve never heard anyone connecting this issue to the
other (acceleration loss-clutch)
What I ve heard though, is something mentioned before and I mean
the DPF

·
Registered
435 Posts
Allow me to disagree on that mate. I ve had worn out clutches on
other cars before, but I ve never had any problems while accelerating
or cruising. In fact I ve never heard anyone connecting this issue to the
other (acceleration loss-clutch)
What I ve heard though, is something mentioned before and I mean
the DPF
A fresh clutch: snaps your neck, and bucks the car when not rev mathcing

A slightly worn clutch: snaps your neck but is more forgiving when you don't rev match.

A moderately worn clutch: Corrects your shifting smoothly, and car doesn't buck. Once revs match you are able to go full throttle and have acceleration

A Severely worn clutch: Corrects your shifting as long as you don't press the gas too hard. Applying too much gas causes the clutch to slip resulting in power loss and decreased acceleration. You still can accelerate, but not as fast. Once your car hits this point, you should make that trip the one to the dealer before the last case, or be very gentle...

A Burned out clutch: Engaging the car in gear and revving aggressively barely gains momentum. You might as well have crisco between the flywheel and the drivetrain.

You seem to be replacing your clutches before they are fully worn. Sometimes throwout bearings and cables need adjustment to get full engagement back. Is it possible that these were your problems and your clutch wasn't truly worn?

·
Registered
18 Posts
A fresh clutch: snaps your neck, and bucks the car when not rev mathcing

A slightly worn clutch: snaps your neck but is more forgiving when you don't rev match.

A moderately worn clutch: Corrects your shifting smoothly, and car doesn't buck. Once revs match you are able to go full throttle and have acceleration

A Severely worn clutch: Corrects your shifting as long as you don't press the gas too hard. Applying too much gas causes the clutch to slip resulting in power loss and decreased acceleration. You still can accelerate, but not as fast. Once your car hits this point, you should make that trip the one to the dealer before the last case, or be very gentle...

A Burned out clutch: Engaging the car in gear and revving aggressively barely gains momentum. You might as well have crisco between the flywheel and the drivetrain.

You seem to be replacing your clutches before they are fully worn. Sometimes throwout bearings and cables need adjustment to get full engagement back. Is it possible that these were your problems and your clutch wasn't truly worn?
Thats one good analysis. And you are probably right because I used to
change my clutches as soon as they were too stiff. In fact sometimes
you could hurt your knee!:yikes:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is another thing I forgot to ask.
Recently I am experiencing more often than before this so called delay of acceleration. It is not a term, but my own description. Basically when I accelerate and no matter in what speed & gear, every time when I change gear to next gear, car delays to accelerate let's say for 1/3 of a second and then it starts to accelerate.

For example I am in 3rd and start accelerating, when I engage 4th, car hesitates to accelerate in 4th for 1/3 of a second and then it accelerates. It happens in all gears and all speeds, it doesn't matter if I accelerate hard, or gently. Meanwhile the car is not accelerating revs and speed are staying which means that the clutch is not slipping or anything.

Also always when it happens I can clearly hear little bit different sound from my exhaust system. It is louder and more noticeable. I am sure these two things are associated with each other is both of them always happen at the same time.

It happens lets say once per two days of driving, sometimes once per day, it always happens when engine is warm and after I don't know, 20 minutes of driving.

And now important thing! When I stop the car and restart the engine, EVERYTHING IS GONE and the car goes normally!!!!

What the heck can this be? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
First, try to disconnect MTM-Cantronic for 2 or 3 days and you will see.

Or more common is, when I hear different sound and car does not ride as usually, it always has something to do with cleaning of DPF.I can see it like this: it has little bit higher iddling and stand consumption is higher 1,3 l/h unlike 0,8 l/h, you can feel some burning smell and my exhaust is around 2cm longer (tips are more pushed out than usually).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts