Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have suggestions on this. My dealer quoted $2700 for a winter tire package. Alpine PA 3 with alloys rims. Seems crazy for just tires?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Anyone have suggestions on this. My dealer quoted $2700 for a winter tire package. Alpine PA 3 with alloys rims. Seems crazy for just tires?
Is that for OEM wheels? What size? I spent quite a bit of time researching, and in the end I'm going to pay a lot more than that ($3850) for 18" wheels, Pirelli tires and TPMS sensors from my dealer. Especially now that our dollar is falling, the aftermarket/online alternatives I found weren't much cheaper.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are those 19" snows? If yes... they would be pretty expensive.

You can drop down to 18" (or as low as 16" on an A5 depending on the wheel -- see tirerack.com)

Also, there's a group buy a couple of threads down where you can get entire packages of allow wheels/winter rubber for much less than the dealer's $2700 tire only. A few of us got winter packages from Steelcase Tires in Markham.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The set I used for last winter (and going on this weekend) are 19" Dunlop Wintersport 3D on Rial Nogaro wheels. Kit of 4 with TPMS is $2008.00 from www.tirerack.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is that for OEM wheels? What size? I spent quite a bit of time researching, and in the end I'm going to pay a lot more than that ($3850) for 18" wheels, Pirelli tires and TPMS sensors from my dealer. Especially now that our dollar is falling, the aftermarket/online alternatives I found weren't much cheaper.
There are quite a few options for 18's, winter tires, and TPMS for just over $2000 from 1010tires.com. I was about to order from them yesterday but they are out of stock on the rims I picked so I have to look again.

$2700 isn't too bad. My dealer gave me a rough quote of $4000- $5000 for 17" winter rims and tires and TPMS. They were official audi rims though and looked better quality than the audi replica rims they had on show beside them. He said the TPMS sensors were $750 for parts alone (they are $300 at 1010tires).

·
Registered
256 Posts
There are quite a few options for 18's, winter tires, and TPMS for just over $2000 from 1010tires.com. I was about to order from them yesterday but they are out of stock on the rims I picked so I have to look again.

$2700 isn't too bad. My dealer gave me a rough quote of $4000- $5000 for 17" winter rims and tires and TPMS. They were official audi rims though and looked better quality than the audi replica rims they had on show beside them. He said the TPMS sensors were $750 for parts alone (they are $300 at 1010tires).
That's some serious mark-up. OEM TPMS sensors from the dealer in Calgary are $350! I feel a little better about my purchase now!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The package they quoted was 255 50/17 Micheline Alpine 3 + Alloy Rims for $2700.
At the risk of being repetitive, if those are Audi rims, and include TPMS sensors, then that's a pretty good price. As others have stated, you might save a little online-it depends on whether OEM wheels matter to you or not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I just bought snow tires for a car that doesn't exist. Latest update from my dealer was that I'm still next on the waiting list, and the car is set for production. Didn't have a VIN number yet, so delivery is likely going to be delayed until January now......

Anyways, mid-winter delivery deserves new snow tires:

18-inch RS4 Replicas (@ $229 apiece...centers had to be machined to fit S5)
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 235/40/R18 (@ $259 each)
Mounting and Balancing $60
NO TPMS-2009 model
All this plus the good old PST + GST

The 12-month wait better be worth every penny!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Satisfied with Winter Tire Package

I just got a winter wheel package from tire rack with BLizzaks WS-50 and TPMS for $1100. I was debating to use all seasons for my 19 inch wheels, but for the same amount of money i got a new set of wheels that dont look all too bad with new winter tires and TPMS. Its been snowing here in Michigan and I havent had any problems with the Blizzaks, it has got good grip, I accelerate well and havent noticed any problems with braking.

I also was thinking about getting tire package from Audi dealership, but I personally dont think its worth an extra 1000 dollars for wheels that would perform just as well as something half the price.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My dealer quoted $2900 for the Audi winter tire package. 17" 5-spoke OEM rims with Pirelli Sottozero tires.

I've had Michelin Pilot Alpin's on two of my previous cars and was very happy with the grip and handling on snow and ice.

I also checked out tirerack, but for the wheels I wanted and the US-dollar exchange rate, it was cheaper to buy from my local tire dealer. It's not easy to find a good winter performance tire on decent rims for under $2000 here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Happy with dealer winter tire package

I took the winter tire package that my local dealer offered for $2,700 and I am happy with the look of the OEM wheels (they are five spoke and very similar to the standard 18" design), and the Michelin Pilot Alpin tire performance. They are quiet on the highway and seem to perform well in the wet. The ride is also a bit softer and more comfortable now so that is an added bonus.

There is a $50 mail-in rebate for Michelin winter tires at the moment so that is better than nothing.

The A5 is quite low to the ground so I'll be interested to see how it performs when the snow does arrive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just got a winter wheel package from tire rack with BLizzaks WS-50 and TPMS for $1100. I was debating to use all seasons for my 19 inch wheels, but for the same amount of money i got a new set of wheels that dont look all too bad with new winter tires and TPMS. Its been snowing here in Michigan and I havent had any problems with the Blizzaks, it has got good grip, I accelerate well and havent noticed any problems with braking.

I also was thinking about getting tire package from Audi dealership, but I personally dont think its worth an extra 1000 dollars for wheels that would perform just as well as something half the price.
AMDG, are the Blizzaks noisy? I got them in a deal from a local dealer with 18" wheels for $1600 but haven't gotten them mounted yet.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I got the Blizzak LM25s .. and they are actually quieter than the stock Dunlop summers because they are much softer. They ride is better too as a result.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Old thread - but just for other folks may benefit from this info in Canada. I was quoted $2600 at a place in Toronto known for good service/prices for 18" R8 Replica wheels with Pilot Alpine PA3's. Avoid your dealer :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why would you want 20" snow tires? Performance would likely suffer greatly and cost would be high if you could find them. Best be would be to stick with 19" or even better, drop it down to 18" depending on the conditions you're in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hey im new here... from the sound of this, im assuming all you a5 owners from toronto thinks the all seasons that comes wiht the car will not last through toronto winter right?? even tho the car is quattro?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts