Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the Forum, but it looks like a good one. I just finished the paperwork on my 10 S5 Cab and i'm beyond excited! I pick it up this week. I'm giving up my '10 A5 2.0 and my '08 BMW Z4 3.0si and getting the S5 as my daily driver. I loved the A5 for so many reasons including it's comfort and sportiness and it's amazing in the snow! I loved the Z4 because i'm a sucker for open air driving and the little thing is just FAST and nimble. My commute for work is very short and so i'm not too worrried, but i'm getting the S5 Cab because i think it has everything i want in a car. . .Fast, gorgeous, no top. . .but my question to you all is how are these things in the snow? I'm not worried about the acoustic top, but i am worried about the performance tires. My A5 with quattro was a beast in the snow so i know the system works. Do the tires matter? is it worth investing in a set of winter tires and wheels or just tires or are the stocks ok in the snow?

Thanks and i'll post pics as soon as i pick it up!

mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
S5 Great in the snow

I have a 2010 S5 Coupe and I live in the Chicago area. I got the Audi Winter Tire and Wheel package which are Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds on 18" rims. It was fantastic! Plowed through everything and was not bad dry pavement.

What I like about the Audi package is that it comes with wheel insurance and they store the off season wheels at the dealer for free. The cost to swap is $10/wheel. I had the second swap done with the 5,000 mile service which includes rotation so there was no charge.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congats about your new car. This issue about winter tyres has been discused a lot in this forum. Try "search" utility and will find your answer. My opinion is that a set of winter tyres is must for the winter. With quattro and winter tyres, ice and snow are piece of cake when driving carefully.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How is your search for winter tires going? I am just starting for my 2010 S5 and I would like to drop to an 18" rim from the standard 19" rim. Many of tire shops I deal with are sceptical whether they would fit. S5 is a rare car for northern Canada, I don't want to drop $4,000 at the dealership for factory rims so I am scratching my head over my options. Shipping costs out of the US are not bad but returning wheels that don't fit would be a real pain. Any insight you have on your experience would be helpful.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Of course they will fit as you can even go as low as a 17 inch as what they are trying to do is a buck out of you .

By the way go and check Tire Rack and you will get all the information your looking for and it will give you an idea of what you can put in your car .:cheers:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
+1 on going with 18" wheels ad tires, and +1 on investigating tirerack.com. I ordered some fairly inexpensive wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport tires in 18" size for my S5 from them back in Dec '08, and I can tell you the car has been excellent through two Chicago-land winters so far.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed totally. I've done some research although haven't made any purchases nor will i until the weather changes pretty drastically as it's been 90s here around nyc all summer long. Tirerack.com is a great site and lists all the available wheels and tires for our car. 18s are definitely the way to go, still looking good and there's a much better supply of available winter tires than for the 19s. best of luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Winter in W. Michigan

I tried the summer tires in W. Michigan, where we get 100+ in of snow per season. Bad idea...the Pirelli P-Zero's might as well be driving on ball bearings as any amount of snow or ice. I once looped it coming out of my driveway at like 2 mph. I ended up driving my old beater Explorer on bad days.

I was thinking about the Audi winter tire package from my local dealer. Is it really 4 grand? That's a non-starter, if so.

Appreciate the tip on Tirerack.com...any brand that people like in particular?

Thanks...

·
Registered
238 Posts
With real winter here i Denmark, winter tires is the only option.
Your normal high performance tires needs a certain amount of temperature to work properly. Already with 45f/7celsius and below, all winter tires will be better than a high performance summer tire, and that´s not even mentioning snow and ice!

I have two sets of tires and rims, one for spring/summer/autumn, and one for winter.

Goodyear Ultra Grip 7 has been an awesome winter tire, but I am getting a new pirelli with my new five :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Go to tirerack.com and they will match you up with a tire wheel combo shipped right to your house or to your dealer complete with tpms, lugs, and balanced if you like. I think I paid about $1200 shipped for 4 Dunlops snows on nice sport 19 inch rims. November comes around and my dealer just tosses them on and I plow through the snow here in New England better than most sport utility vehicles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
How is your search for winter tires going? I am just starting for my 2010 S5 and I would like to drop to an 18" rim from the standard 19" rim. Many of tire shops I deal with are sceptical whether they would fit. S5 is a rare car for northern Canada, I don't want to drop $4,000 at the dealership for factory rims so I am scratching my head over my options. Shipping costs out of the US are not bad but returning wheels that don't fit would be a real pain. Any insight you have on your experience would be helpful.
A bunch of us are running 17" RS4 replica rims here with Nokian's Hakkapeliitta tires - brilliant. In 2009 we had some trouble getting replica rims because the hubs and offsets were brand new and we had them bored out to fit - you shouldn't have ANY trouble now. I added some spacers to get it back to looking stock.

18" or 17" will be MUCH cheaper than 19". And the higher sidewall than your summer tires will make them look the same size. I lived in Edmonton for 4 years - when it gets to -20C anything other than dedicated winter tires will be hard as hockey pucks and you'll be skating.

Any DECENT tire shop should be able to help you out. Come on - Edmonton is a million people now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Snow Country - N. Michigan

When the S5s were first out Dunlops were the only option. In a word, they sucked. Last winter I was back on Blizzaks, on OK rims from China courtesy of Tire Rack, and all was well in the world again.
Stavros

·
Registered
3 Posts
A bunch of us are running 17" RS4 replica rims here with Nokian's Hakkapeliitta tires - brilliant. In 2009 we had some trouble getting replica rims because the hubs and offsets were brand new and we had them bored out to fit - you shouldn't have ANY trouble now. I added some spacers to get it back to looking stock.

18" or 17" will be MUCH cheaper than 19". And the higher sidewall than your summer tires will make them look the same size. I lived in Edmonton for 4 years - when it gets to -20C anything other than dedicated winter tires will be hard as hockey pucks and you'll be skating.

Any DECENT tire shop should be able to help you out. Come on - Edmonton is a million people now.
Yeah a million people with 70% driving Trucks and the rest Minivans! There is one audi dealership and they sell one S5 a month soooo, there should be close to 50 in the city!

I ordered online OEM RS4 18" and test fit them on the weekend. No problem with the front brake clearance the tire shops seemed concerned about. Ordered the rubber from tirerack and should have them mounted by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the great advice guys! Waaaay cheaper than the dealership.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just got 225/45/18 Michelin Pilot Alpine, $210 a tire at disocunt tire(-$70 MIR), it was cheaper than tire rack shipped. And they will get me some 18" RS4 OEM replicas, for $512 a set frome OE Wheels.

I am all set for 2011 winter.

·
Registered
394 Posts
+1 on going with 18" wheels ad tires, and +1 on investigating tirerack.com. I ordered some fairly inexpensive wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport tires in 18" size for my S5 from them back in Dec '08, and I can tell you the car has been excellent through two Chicago-land winters so far.
I bought a similar package with the same tires and am very pleased. The tires feel like a UHP all season for the 90% of the time I'm not driving on snow/ice and do a commendable job in the nasty stuff. It all depends what your priorities are...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I ran the Michelin Alpin late last season and they're exceptional. Capable yet quiet and very good performance when dry as well.

I just got 225/45/18 Michelin Pilot Alpine, $210 a tire at disocunt tire(-$70 MIR), it was cheaper than tire rack shipped. And they will get me some 18" RS4 OEM replicas, for $512 a set frome OE Wheels.

I am all set for 2011 winter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a set of used OEM 19's off the internet last summer for $700 in perfect condition and mounted a set of Blizzaks. They performed perfectly during the snowiest winter in the Northeast, and kept the nice stock look. Going with a used set of OEM's is the way to go since they don't cost a lot, they fit perfectly, and they look nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts