Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for good snow/ice tires.

When I got my car it had some crap "off brand" Chinese tires on it and (apparently) they are causing a pretty noticeable vibration. I was sure it was a suspension related issue, however I've had a few mechanics tell me it is almost certainly the tires.

A local tire shop has recommended Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3. He drives an A4 and loves these tires on it. He said he has sold several sets of these to other Audi owners who have had nothing but good things to say about them.

What winter tires is everyone else using? Any others that I should consider?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I have Michelin Alpin 3. An older design now, but still deep tread tread as I do little miles on them in the winter and the winter in the UK is normally an inch or 2 of snow and -1, so not a deep winter, but they work very. Seen cars with summer tyres on get stuck on a small incline, then I just drive up like there is no snow there.

These are the only set of winter tyres I've had. Had them for 2 or 3 years now. So can only comment on these and compare to summer tyres! :)

Nokian tyres are Finnish so I would expect them to be decent in the winter.

Good tyres are normally around the same price point. Cheap budget tyres at half the price are that price for a reason.

Check out Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews He does some pretty good indepth reviews. You may find Nokain tyres on that review site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave! Thanks for the links. Nokian seem to be very well known by those "in the know" but not so much to the general public.

I contacted a friend who is an Audi tech. He has a 2019 RS5 coupe (what a beast!). He's using the same Nokian tires that I am considering and was absolutely raving about them. He actually got excited talking about them lol. He was also getting similar bad vibrations (as I am) with some other "very well known" high end winter tires and was saying that these cars are pretty finicky about tires and vibrations especially "more aggressive" snow/ice tires - what may otherwise be an amazing tire, might not work well on these cars. The Nokian's took his bad vibrations away instantly and the overall performance is incredible. He took me for a rip in a nasty snow storm (60+cm of snow yesterday/last night) and the tires really felt amazing. Smooth as silk.

My tire shop will allow me to buy and try, so I'm going to bite the bullet and give them a shot. If I am not happy with the Nokian's I can swap them for something else until I find some that I like. I have an appointment to get them installed in an hour. We will see (a) if the they take that stupid vibration away and (b) if they perform as well as they do on that RS5.

Wish me luck lol. I'll post an update later

Cheers!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can say that these Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 are really fantastic. The vibration is gone, with the exception of cruising at exactly 124km/h. I asked the tire shop mechanic to road test it again just to see if I was imagining things. He took it out and said that this can be "common" for winter/lower profile tires to have a specific speed (vibration frequency) that they just don't like. When I set cruise control to 1 km/h either side of 124 the vibration is gone. I'd call that a success.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I can say that these Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 are really fantastic. The vibration is gone, with the exception of cruising at exactly 124km/h. I asked the tire shop mechanic to road test it again just to see if I was imagining things. He took it out and said that this can be "common" for winter/lower profile tires to have a specific speed (vibration frequency) that they just don't like. When I set cruise control to 1 km/h either side of 124 the vibration is gone. I'd call that a success.
Have you tested them in the white stuff yet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tested them in the white stuff yet?
Yes, Dave. I had a bit of snow fall over the weekend (20-30cm). The old tires that were on it (the junk Chinese ones) actually had decent grip for what they were, however these Nokian tires are on another level. Most of my driving is on rural/country backroads and they perform incredibly well. I'm very happy with my choice.

·
Registered
2015 S5 Coupe
306 Posts
Lol 20-30cm would have stopped most of the UK. It would be another catastrophic event 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Ha ha, I was just going to say that Tony! :D

A bit of snow in the UK is like sugar dusting on a cake! We even had a 'white Christmas' as we had 1 snowflake on Christmas day! 20-30cm would be worse than COVID and render the UK on it's knees! :)

Glad you like them and the buy and try option is great!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL. Being in Canada, I'm pretty used to the snow. Honestly, we've been pretty lucky this year with nowhere near our normal amount of snow, so far. But February/March could be nasty. I'll give these tires a good workout, I'm sure 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts