Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never done this before and I’ve not read anything on here about anyone doing the same.
I want to SORN my vehicle over the winter months but have it properly insured in case of all eventualities but also have it SORN’d to save me roughly £300 on road tax yearly when the vehicle is hibernating. I wanted to make sure that if I SORN’d my car and something happened the SORN would not invalidate my cover. You hear these days that insurance companies can use any excuse not to pay out. Anyway, I called my insurance company today and fully discussed this point with them. I asked they input electronic notes into my history file so our discussions were recorded. What they are offering is to keep my car fully covered but remove legal, breakdown etc when it’s hibernating, the fact that my car will be SORN’d will not affect cover, when I call again in spring and add these extras again there will be no admin fee. All I have to do in the spring time is to tax my vehicle again and that automatically takes the car off SORN. I just want peace of mind that I’m fully insured whilst the car is hibernating over the winter period and I’ve the bonus of saving on road tax.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ive not seen anything in insurance terms where they would exclude this as theres no justifiable reason for them to do so.
I suggest you call them as a 'new' customer and ask the same question as some of the cs staff on the phone are a bit dopey and are happy to provide wrong information.
SORN is mainly for the Govt to ensure you dont keep a untaxed vehicle on the road.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did call in to the CS staff first and they said that they could not provide “laid up” or “garaged” insurance. I was then transferred to a guy who knew what he was speaking about. I’m happy now that I’m fully insured even if I SORN my vehicle for six months. I wanted to get this 100% clear with no grey areas.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Sounds like your insurance company has just removed the breakdown and legal extras and you have a normal policy? When you SORN it, you are just telling the DVLA that the car is off the road, insurance is up to you as you don't legally require it if SORNed, but understand you still want it case the car is removed from your garage with out you knowing!

So did they reduce your premium as the car is going no where so only needs insurance for theft or damage?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,

Yes I got the legal and no claims premium removed and an added loyalty bonus for calling to speak to them so my auto renewal quote went from £420 to £280 with a fully comp insurance to give me peace of mind. You are right though, with SORN you don’t need insurance, it’s up to you, but I sleep better knowing it’s garaged and covered for all eventualities.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
Go on........you have me fascinated......why are you laying it up Mr F?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rackingman, I’ve an old clapped out mini for my commuter car and really enjoy the ownership of the RS. There’s a real distinction and ownership experience between the two, one is a workhorse the other is a hobby (or toy really). The winter weather here in Scotland is horrible so it’s fine to know she’s tucked away and will get an outing again when spring arrives. She’s the “special one!”.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
So cost of maintenance and running sort of offsets depreciation and your baby doesn't get hurt by some nutter in a Scooby.....

Even though the scots nutter seems to cope with a bit of snow...

·
Sponsor
2,324 Posts
I always wondered, what would be the downside of leaving it's on stands and storing the wheels flat?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Wish I had a big enough garage and alternative car to put mine in the garage! :)

Put the axle stands at the jacking points on the sills with rubber pads to avoid any dents to the sills. Or position them under the suspension mounts/sub frame mounts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts