Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the autoglass repairer did turn up on time, but with the wrong glass.
The one he had brought with him was for the facelift model. Good news was, it was an OEM replacement, which turns out they got it from Audi. They said even after giving them the chassis number, they still supplied him with the wrong part! (Typical of audi parts - useless)
The fitter knew straight away that the car being a 61 plate was the last of the pre-facelift and said his was for the facelift model. I understand the confusion as when I ordered the car, the dealer and I thought I'd be getting the facelift, which turns out I didn't in the end as Audi uk said no.
Back to the waiting game now, don't know when they are coming, he said it would be an OEM glass, but I bet it won't be now :( (always that Sod's law!) however he did ask if I wanted the OEM one or theirs. Obviously OEM so I'm happy to wait, but like most of these things, watch them bring the crappier version. Insurers don't like paying for genuine parts.

I hate insurers! I pay my money but they don't want to supply the parts when things go wrong! (I'm unable to take it to Audi, as they only use autoglass)

Fingers crossed...it gets done at the weekend and with the OEM glass. I'll be very chuffed. (The guy said the new audis are very easy to replace and rarely have problems with them after the work is done)

I'm not p***ed off, just thought ill share my experience. Cars drivable, feel reassured the work is simple so my pride and joy wont be harmed in the process, OEM screen on the cards. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
You know audi buy parts from suppliers. They don't make all inhouse. Like wheels are bbs or ronal. Multilink parts are by lemförder. Automatic gearboxes by zf. And then they stamp and tag the parts.

But what's different on pre- and facelift windows?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The glasses have different clips and where the rear view mirror is, different shape and location for the rain sensor.

I'm aware most of Audi's parts are outsourced. Glass, wipers, tyres, alloys, other bits of trim, etc
Ill be honest I'm not sure about the difference in glass qualities. I just get put off from hearing the glass quality is different.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As long as it is at least Distributor OEM and not Vendor OEE, you should be good because as it was stated earlier in the post, many manufacturers change glass vendors over the years. So one year it might be Sekurit, the next year Pilkington or PPG, etc.

OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent) is sold by glass installers over here and may not be as good quality.

Dealer glass will be OEM of course and usually stamped with the car make on it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've had similar dramas. My windscreen was cracked two weeks ago but living where I live, the first Autoglass appointment available was a week later. Took the day off work and they never turned up! Rebooked for another day and they turned up with the wrong glass. They brought a pre-facelift windscreen despite knowing my reg number and me specifying it was a facelift model. The guy even tried to defend it blaming my personalised plate - yeah because you can put 12 plates on any old car!!! After a complaint to head office and a guarantee that it would be all sorted but, they came back on Saturday with glass which matched all the same numbers and dimensions as mine but said A4 on it. They said that Audi themselves had told them this was the right glass so they cut my old screen out. Then, guess what, it didn't fit!! So they taped my old windscreen to my car and said to wait until Monday to see what they could do. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if I wasn't going away for a long time in a few short days and NEED it to get sorted!!

After hours on the phone I eventually convinced my insurance company to let me just pay the standard £75 excess but use my own company to replace the windscreen but even that wasn't so easy. I have now resorted to buying the windscreen direct from Audi with Autoglass collecting it on my behalf tomorrow (as I'm car-less!) and fitting it. Now what you've said about Audi parts has got me worried!!

Wish me luck. I think I'm going to need it!!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE

so the guy came and had the correct glass. Decided to butter him up by offering him a coffee over the phone (when he gave me a courtesy call to say he was on his way to my address) in the hope he would make 'more of an effort' with my car compared to a dash, naff job. Think this worked, done a superb job! Very knowledgeable at his skill and pointed several things out to me, that I didn't know about glass on a car.
Genuine glass fitted, nobody would ever know. :)
Today was crunch or break, so decided to jet wash it. No leaks or water in the footwell! So fingers crossed. Even he was honest enough to say, no matter how skilled the fitter was, things do go wrong, so to contact them immediately should I spot a problem, rather than leave it.
As I can see, trim, paintwork, was exactly how it was before. I did notice, what I thought was bonding glue, a white area under the glass. (Under the black shading on the glass) actually turned out to be part of my pillar. He did mention, I may have not noticed it before as the bonding strip would of marked it out or its just something I've only noticed. Either way, I'm a happy customer. :)

As for your case, fingers crossed for you. It may hopefully go well! My insurance permitted to them using the genuine glass. Do tell autoglass this, otherwise they'll use an un marked glass. Nothing wrong with that, but its better to just have the Audi one. ;)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Did he change the little washer thing where the rain sensor is? Have you checked the rain sensor is working? Apparently a few issues with these with windscreeen replacements. You can get a little kit from Audi with the washer you afre supposed to change when doing the widnscreen.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Has your new windscreen got the 4 rings emblem on it. Usually they use some other brand don't they??

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The window washer jet units are actually fixed to the main frame. Under the bonnet and didn't require disconnection during the installation. In regards to the sensors. The first thing his other colleague found was, just by looking at the interior's review mirror, it was the wrong glass that was supplied to them. He said he had to remove the old gel from the sensor and install a new one. (Other wise it wouldn't bond or work properly.) only downside is an air bubble has formed, however he assured me it was not preventable due to the external temperatures the day the work was carried out. He added, it will go over time (when heat gets to it) eventually it will soften and disperse. The work was done almost a week ago. And it's gradually shrinking in size. Doesn't bother me anyway as its hard to actually see.
The lights work fine (auto), rain sensors work fine and positions of the blades/arms were installed to how it was before. Some people even comment on them working better after a glass refit. I can't tell the difference! Still the same.

The glass is identical! (Without the scratches and chips of course ;) ) Audi logo, place of manufacture, etc. the glass came wrapped, all in German writing.

Nemo, the work was done almost a week ago. I've been busy so haven't been able to update this thread. They give you a card which informs you not to wash the car for 24hrs (I agree with you, I'd give it 48hrs at least) and when to drive it, etc.

I guess it really does depend who you get on the day. They work for a company, who they represent. Some staff are better than others... They also told me, some insurers don't like paying for the genuine screen. Do ask though. They may use autoglass, but they simply only use them as their fitters. Autoglass can obtain and fit genuine glass, but only if your insurer allows it. I thought mine didn't. However they said, some cars they do, some they don't.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine was finally sorted yesterday. Fourth time lucky! AutoGlass offered me £25 compensation. How generous!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you find the work they did?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Totally fed up

Ours was hit by some wood on the A1. Screen smashed and two upper trim pieces also goosed. Trims costs over £400 and now having to use car insurance to pay for screen and parts etc.

We have the same problems, Autoglass would not supply OEM parts and insurance will only pay a little towards the screen if we want an Audi part.

Ours will be fixed whilst we are away and we are relying Audi Sunderland to quality inspect National Windscreens work.

All in all we are hoping the screen is the right one and the wipers work.

This has put us off buying another Audi as the price of the parts are just crazy and the insurance company didn't even have Audi down as a prefered supplier.

Wish us luck.

·
Registered
9,032 Posts
maybe too late for you but when the cab had a new windscreen (autoglass) the external trim surrounds were replaced as standard part of the job as apparently the clips tend to break and are not replaceable on their own. so not sure why they are charging extra for them. unless they are lying cheating scumbag bastards...which doesnt sound like any insurance company I know...(sorry,sarcasm chip is playing up again..). and it isnt autoglass making up the replacement rules, its your insurance company.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
maybe too late for you but when the cab had a new windscreen (autoglass) the external trim surrounds were replaced as standard part of the job as apparently the clips tend to break and are not replaceable on their own. so not sure why they are charging extra for them. unless they are lying cheating scumbag bastards...which doesnt sound like any insurance company I know...(sorry,sarcasm chip is playing up again..). and it isnt autoglass making up the replacement rules, its your insurance company.
Mine didn't get replaced in the end. Decided a quick fix was the best thing. Which, a year later its a great decision by them. No problems with the repair and hardly noticeable. I actually forget its there.
When I had the repair on my coupe I wasn't charged a penny. So I would insist your insurance pays for them!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Took mine to a popular windshield replacement shop....don't think they ever did an S5 and certainly not a Cabriolet took them 11 hours I kid you not to replace the glass and they still could not get the inside trim correct I could see the clips.
Only thing that saved them from my wrath was they discounted the job from 800 bucks down to two hundred for my aggravation and their learning experience.

Glad they did a good job for you.

I know better than to take it to where my insurance recommends next time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts