Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m on my third new A5 cabriolet. They are all I’ve driven for 10 years so I know the car well, but something weird is going on with my current car.
About 6 weeks ago the windscreen started misting up overnight. As in, soaking wet, dripping.
Full de-mist and AC doesn’t clear it. The car is undriveable until I dry the screen with a cloth. Side windows aren’t affected at all.
Any ideas please?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Moisture is getting in the car I likely the bottom line. Being a cab does increase the likelihood even more. Has it been rainy? Check everywhere. Feel the carpet. Check under the rear seat. Pull up the trim to feel the padding under the carpet. Believe me the padding can hold a ton of water. I have had leaks in cars and found gallons under the carpet If you do find wet the next step will be with a hose to identify how it is getting in. I don’t know enough about the heater circuit in these and how common leaks are. But if it is the front that could be a possibility

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another question. Is it fogged up when you get in the car or does it start fog and only get worse after you turn on the defrost? If it gets worse that points to the heater core

·
Registered
169 Posts
You could try pingi dehumidifiers, but tbh it sounds like water has got in - perhaps check the boot and side compartments as this is a good place for water to hide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question. Is it fogged up when you get in the car or does it start fog and only get worse after you turn on the defrost? If it gets worse that points to the heater core
Hi Neil,
thanks for your advice.
The carpets are all bone-dry, the side and rear windows are completely, 100% clear. When I get in it in the morning the windscreen has water dripping off it some days. The whole windscreen, not localised.
This is a completely new experience for me in 10 years of driving A5 cabrio's
I live in the NW of England, and this winter is just as damp and miserable as usual, although unusually warmer. Don't think this is atmospheric conditions, the amount of water is out of all proportion to the weather we're having.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could try pingi dehumidifiers, but tbh it sounds like water has got in - perhaps check the boot and side compartments as this is a good place for water to hide.
Thanks, but the boot and carpets are bone-dry, and only the windscreen is affected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is undrivable until I have mopped up all the water drops on the screen. The de-mist and AC work well but only after I've physically cleared the worst of it. So, yes, de-mist and AC working fine.
This fault is doing my head in :oops:

I should take it to the local dealership under warranty, but they are usually about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts