Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, yet another minor thing that is just bugging the heck out of me...

The window wipers are programmed to run 4-5 times after the fluid gets squirt on to the windsheild. That's the perfect amount...windows are nice, clean and dry...everythings great...Pause 5 seconds...even nicer...totally dry now from the wind...then...(those of you with an S5, already know where I am headed here)...out of nowhere...another wipe! Two, big dry peices of rubber dragging across my clean dry glass and leaving a bunch of residue behind...aaaaah!!! There's no way to get rid of it either, because when I squirt again to get rid of the residue...I just start the whole friggin process over!

Please someone tell me there is a setting that will stop this evil cycle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was just thinking the same this morning. I think somebody is in with
the wiper fuild guys.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was just thinking the same this morning. I think somebody is in with
the wiper fuild guys.
This is an Audi thing. Both of my A4s did this. It is designed to catch that last drop of wiper fluid that is at the top of the windshield and above the wipers, which the wipers don't get with the first three swipes. Some people love it. Others hate it.

While on the subject of wipers and wash, isn't the 3 separate sprays of washer fluid on each side of the windshield -- six in all, two more than I've seen on any car before in my life -- just the coolest thing ever?

·
Registered
292 Posts
While on the subject of wipers and wash, isn't the 3 separate sprays of washer fluid on each side of the windshield -- six in all, two more than I've seen on any car before in my life -- just the coolest thing ever?

While we're getting orgasmic about windshield wipers - have you noticed that when you're driving along and the wipers have been parked for a while, they give a tiny little 'shimmy'. That's to reverse the edge of the blade resting on the windshield! :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So...are we saying there's no solution to this? Can't be...I literally can not ever get a clean windsheild because of this.

I8, I never noticed that, pretty cool though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I quite like the extra sweep! It clears away all those extra droplets after a wash-wipe.

Also, I've noticed the wipers do 'park' themselves under the trailing edge of the bonnet if they've not been used for a few seconds - when in use they rest a bit higher up on the windscreen.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Please someone tell me there is a setting that will stop this evil cycle.
haha, I LOL'd.

I quite like it. I suppose if you're in a dry climate your more likely to have your windscreen dry already, but I think personally I like the extra sweep. Especially as I like to use plenty of water.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So that's it? Nothing can be done? Jeff, you're not getting that "over-dry" residue?

·
Registered
231 Posts
you can turn off the 'dribble wipe' function. i remember reading in the handbook. will read and post later

Edit: just pull the lever towards you again very brefly after using wash/wipe.

ie. use washing system, release lever, then pull briefly

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you can turn off the 'dribble wipe' function. i remember reading in the handbook. will read and post later

Edit: just pull the lever towards you again very brefly after using wash/wipe.

ie. use washing system, release lever, then pull briefly
There's hope!!

Now, I just have to pray that it's not only on cars across the pond. Will test on my way to work...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Worked like a charm, thanks Vin.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
now THAT's what this forum is for! Great work Vin.

Which reminds me, I must remember to RTFM (Read the manual) when mine arrives!
:)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Interestingly, you also don't get the dribble wipe function if the car is stationary (ie if you're at a junction and clean the windscreen) - no need to give the extra pull of the lever in this case. This isn't mentioned in the owner's manual.

I'm still struggling with the auto wipers though, as they don't seem to do what is described in the owner's manual. The sensitivity doesn't seem to be affected at all by the setting of the variable control on the top of the wiper stalk - the wipers just seem to do their own thing and will quite happily go at a relatively fast speed when the setting is slow and vice-versa. With the control at the lowest sensitivity today, the wipers dragged across a dry screen which is particularly annoying as I then have to use the wash to get rid of the smears that are left by the dry blades on a dry screen (as per JB's original complaint at the start of this thread).

The owner's manual also states that the wiper speed will be reduced automatically by one level if you come to a halt (ie at traffic lights) however on my car, the wipers actually turn off completely (ie won't wipe at all) if you come to a halt - particularly annoying if it is still raining but the auto wipers were on an intermittent setting. This doesn't happen if they were on continuous (but still automatic) - they just keep going. Can't seem to figure out how they decide what speed to go at, and I often find I'm wanting them to wipe and they don't, and other times they do wipe when there's no need.

The auto wipers should also only be active (ie in auto) when you've got the wiper stalk selected to the first position up (ie on the intermittent wipe setting). Moving the stalk up one more to the slow wiper speed should make the wipers run all the time, but this doesn't happen, they stay in auto - they will still stop, even though I want them to run - Aargh! There's also apparently no way of de-activating the rain sensor completely and just having manually controlled wipers. Guess I just have to live with it.

Sorry, rant over!:mad:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Oh, and another thing...

(Sorry, I did have more to get off my chest!)

I've never experienced wipers that drag so much water back across the driver's side from the vertical position. In particularly heavy rain the wipers are great at clearing the water, which should then run up the right hand side of the windscreen (left for those not in the UK) and onto the roof. However the blades seem to drag a significant amount of water back across from the vertical when they start their return sweep, which certainly decreases the visibility.

Think I'll go and buy some of the CarPlan nano-tech glass treatment (it's like Rain-X but longer lasting). I used it on my old S4 and thought it was great - I even put it on the Velux windows in my house, and they now don't need nearly so much cleaning as the rain takes the dirt away with it - great! I know some people don't like it though as it can make light drizzle bead much more on the screen, particularly at low speed, which doesn't help with visibility.

(OK, this time, that is rant over!:D :D )

·
Registered
677 Posts
Vin, Thanks for how to stop the extra swipe. I hate it also as my windshield is clear and clean then swipe marks all over it. I read the manual and did not remember this item.

scratch, I have my windshield treated and do not find it brings any water back across with the blades. Instead it does go up and over the roof. It is very interesting to me as in past cars quite a bit went sideways and over the side windows. This car has it going straight up.

I will have to look for the blade shimmy. I have not noticed this. I have seen the park feature. Easiest to see when you pull up to park with the wipers going and stop the ignition. The wipers park themselves at this time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Intermittent wipers and rain sensitive wipers combined always produces the same result...wipers that we have no idea how to control. I've yet to drive a car that offers both of these and feel like I have any clue how to get it to work properly. It seems to always make for more attention on the inputs instead of less.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Intermittent wipers and rain sensitive wipers combined always produces the same result...wipers that we have no idea how to control. I've yet to drive a car that offers both of these and feel like I have any clue how to get it to work properly. It seems to always make for more attention on the inputs instead of less.
no problem guys.

newer BMWs allow for this.

scratch: sounds like there is something wrong with your rain sensor.

even if it is on continuous wipe, if u come to a stop they will go to intermittent. rain sensor only works in intermittent mode.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Vin,
Thanks - I might get my dealer to have a look at it, as it's definitely still working in auto (ie the wipers will go to intermittent) if you select them to the slow speed (ie one above the intermittent stalk position). Doesn't make sense to me as I don't seem to have any control over them - they're either off or permanently in auto.

·
Registered
70 Posts
is it necessary to open the hood to raise the windshield wipers from the window, when manually cleaning the window ie car washing? it seems as though they do not lift from the window without scratching the hood. never seen a car like that what am i missing?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts