Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday i heard the dreaded grind as I lifted the button on my drivers side window followed by the thunk as the window refused to budge.

I had the same on my A4 so I know it wasn't a quick fix.

Managed to get the ewindow partially up with a lot of huffing and puffing and secured the car for the night.

Monday AM contacted my local garage who sells used cars as part of a dealership group and they said to bring it in after I finished work.

Turned up at 6PM to drop car off. Nice thing was, they didn't have a car I could use to get home or to work the next day so the Service manager said no problem I've already booked you a taxi to take you home tonight and to work and back to here when it's ready.

That's what i call customer service.

Genuine Audi Regulator kit fitted £237 which although painful could as we know be a lot worse.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Meh. Well at least it done. Especially given the UK rain at the moment. Same thing happened on my Passat (tried to repair myself with a kit) and my last A5 (just left windows up...!).
Its a VAG issue, not just Audi.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In most cases it is a very cheap fix mate. It is probably the metal wire (probably rusted and broken inside).

You either need a repair kit with the wire and the plastic round part which holds the wire.. Probably 10 dollars....

Or...There is more tricky but super cheap solution. You can do the repair kit by yourself. You only need some good quality steel wire (similar thickness), and you can use the old springs and hoses...Really easy.

When removing the door trims always use round tool and cotton between the tool and the trim not to leave any mark and never rush. Once you remove all bolts and get the door panel abit out you will pull it up and not to you so you will not break the 2 plastic clips...

Take a picture of everything you can see once the panel is removed...

Take a picture of the window regulator once it has been removed (before taking the wires off)... So you will know how to revise it :)

And everything is reverse order during installation. So easy and fun job. The kit is 100% identical as original, if you want I can help you getting it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the tips :)

Sadly it's been fixed now. but always useful when the passenger side goes.. which I'm sure it will.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Appreciate the tips :)

Sadly it's been fixed now. but always useful when the passenger side goes.. which I'm sure it will.
No worries. Hope you wont have adjustment problems. If you need I can find the service procedure in PDF to adjust and position the window up/down or in/out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts