Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know about you guys but I've seen precious few reviews of the A5 thus far, especially the 3.2 engine. So it was great to read this one, even though pretty short.
http://magazine.windingroad.com/windingroad/200708web/?folio=48

If anyone has seen other A5 reviews, please post them.
Winding Road (apparently a free online car magazine - had never seen it before) has a longer S5 review on their site as well.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah, you're right ... A5 reviews seem to be pretty scarce. Thanks for sharing this, house!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Here's Autocar's full road test of the 3.0 TDi - they're normally pretty good reviews, balanced and fair imho.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsHistory/Audi-A5-3.0-TDI-Quattro/226663/

There's also a shorter test of the 3.0 TDi Sport, but they weren't so enamoured of the sports suspension - not an uncommon complaint from Autocar, but the guy who's running their long-termer has described the 3.0 TDi as 'almost perfect', so seems the journalists on the site/magazine can't agree with each other...!

Otherwise, it's quite a good reference site for tests of all sorts of cars - just use the drop-down menus under 'Find a Road Test'.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd like to see a decent 2.7TDi Multitronic review.

That gearbox is an engineering diamond. I usually view auto 'boxes with the same contempt I do Simon Cowell, but the A5 CVT transmission was so good it made me swallow that hatred and order one. My personal view is that it's one of the best things Audi have done for a long while, and knocks the spots off a Merc or BMW auto 'box. I'd like to see some decent roadtest comment to either confirm or deny my view :)

As an aside it would be even better if it were compatible with Quattro technology. Two points to conclude, I guess...

1) If only Audi could drill a hole in the back of it, attach a driveshaft, and get it to spin the rear wheels as well... ("it" being the multitronic transmission)

2) If only Audi (or indeed anyone who happens to have the relevant drill-bit to hand) could drill a hole in the back of it, attach a driveshaft, and get it to spin for all eternity ("it" being Simon Cowell) ....

:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
A5 3.0 TDI Quattro review

Can't find it online but June 2007 issue of What Diesel Car said of the 3.0 TDI engine in the A5 "I rated the previous engine a delight but this new one feels a nuclear reactor of a motor with limitless power thanks mainly to a change in common-rail injection and some other technical improvements". As this is my car I can testify to the great power which always feel under control, never thin and racy trying to get away from you. 0-60 mph in 5.8 seconds and bags of torque. I'm less interested in the top speed which I'll never get close to in the real world - it's the acceleration that thrills.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, so I read through these (informative - thanks), but my point stands that there just isn't much out there yet specifically about the V6 3.2fsi petrol engine. Europe concentrates on the diesel V6 and we don't have these puppies in Canada or the U.S. yet, so I guess it'll take some time. But you'd think the preview reviews would be popping up soon. They were well ahead of the S5.

I sure came away concerned about the sport suspension though!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.