Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least in the US, 60mph is at the 9:00 position, 120mph is 12:00, and 180 is 3:00, which BTW is a ways above the electronically limited 130mpg (US)/155mph. My current car (Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo) has 25mph at the 9:00 and 90mph at 12:00, and still maxes at 180mph. My normal daily driving speeds vary between 25 and 75mph, which has a nice sweep of the needle in a more visible area (upper left) of the speedometer on my current car, whereas with the A5/S5, that same speed range appears to be shifted way down to the lower left quadrant of the dial. I have not driven a BMW or other high-end European car, so don't know if this is typical.

I have a feeling it will be harder to visually detect current speed to make sure I stay near the posted speed limit. Does this bother anyone else and if so, do you simply switch to the digital output, instead?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have a feeling it will be harder to visually detect current speed to make sure I stay near the posted speed limit. Does this bother anyone else and if so, do you simply switch to the digital output, instead?
I ALWAYS have the digital speedo displayed. In fact, I can't even remember the last time that I've looked over at the speedo gauge. The A5 is relatively quiet when cruising down the road. And IMO, it's just easier to have the digital speedo right in front of your face (on the driver information display) so you don't have to bother with looking at the gauge to "figure out" just how fast you're going.

FYI, there's a "speed warning" feature where you can set the desired speed at which you want to be warned when you exceed it. I used that a few times just to try it out, but quit using it. The alert tone actually startled me (ok, it scared the crap out of me) a couple of times because I had forgotten that I had set it. :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Geordon, I have to say, that the speedo is unusual, even for Audi, who's cars have normally had the needles at 8:00 at rest, about 80mph at 12:00 and max at about 4:00. The new speedo is about 'styling and is confusing.

TX - From an ergonomics perspective the idea of a large Dial & needle is that you don't have to look at it to read it. In your peripheral, you can see it's position and understand your speed, only needing to look at it for 'exact reading'. Obviously with the ergonomics messed up by 'design' this is pointless, necessitating the Digital speedo... which I use all the time!

Furthermore, I do find that with such a large range, the scale marking are so close together, that even if you do look at the speedo, you can only tell about +/- 5mph. Hence needing the digital.

...I suppose it hints at what is popssible unrestricted... and that the RS5 may well have a 180mph limit.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
digital for me (+my 10% for speed limits ;) )

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
When I took delivery of my car, the dealer went to great lengths to point out the orientation of the speedo just to make sure I didn't mis-read it and get caught speeding. I've got used to it now but I also use the digital one, especially in those 20 & 30 MPH zones.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
my uncle is a cooper and tried his gun on my car with me using the digital i worked out if it says 77 im safe

·
Registered
415 Posts
tried his gun on my car
I suppose you mean his radar gun. Because I'm not so sure I'd let someone discharge a firearm at my car...family member or not.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
buggar i wonder how they got there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
my uncle is a cooper and tried his gun on my car with me using the digital i worked out if it says 77 im safe
'
Last I looked, Coopers made barrels and rarely carry speed guns or discharge firearms at cars... did I miss something of a revolution in barrel making in the highlands? ;)

:p

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
WOW!!!!! I hope that he was off duty Jen, I would hate to imagine the tax payers money going to waste like that!!!!
during a break of his....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Geordon, I have to say, that the speedo is unusual, even for Audi, who's cars have normally had the needles at 8:00 at rest, about 80mph at 12:00 and max at about 4:00. The new speedo is about 'styling and is confusing.

TX - From an ergonomics perspective the idea of a large Dial & needle is that you don't have to look at it to read it. In your peripheral, you can see it's position and understand your speed, only needing to look at it for 'exact reading'. Obviously with the ergonomics messed up by 'design' this is pointless, necessitating the Digital speedo... which I use all the time!

Furthermore, I do find that with such a large range, the scale marking are so close together, that even if you do look at the speedo, you can only tell about +/- 5mph. Hence needing the digital.

...I suppose it hints at what is popssible unrestricted... and that the RS5 may well have a 180mph limit.
I was just thinking about the speedo layout yesterday. It is a shame that the speedo does not sweep all the way from 8 to 4. Also, I noticed that the scale of the speedo changes. Up to about 80kph one large tick equals 10kph after that 1 large tick equals 20kph. This gives the visual impression that the acceleration is decreasing even more than it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts