Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Will the s5 come with automatic transmission? For me, manual is just too much work.
Well, S5 is a sports car for ppl who loves driving, and who loves driving (IMO) loves manual. With automatic you don't have total control of the car and it's not as fun. Yes it's too much work during rush hour and some ppl find DSG to be the perfect solution, but there's nothing like the old fashion stick shift ;)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
yes it will come out in the summer my audi dealer said come back around march it will prob be available to get, does anyone know if the s5 automatic will come with the paddle shifters ?
I think triptronic comes with paddle shifters. If i remember correctly the RS6 only came in triptronic and i'm sure it had the paddles.

·
Registered
315 Posts
this s5 is my first manual, other than my old gsxr 750. I still have my auto e36 m3 and I love driving it. Its just really hard to eat at the same time driving now. Haha. But moving to manual. I don't even know I'm shifting just seems like second nature now. Plus its good feeling what gear u want to be in. What's funny is now every time I get in an auto, my foot is pushing onthe invisible clutch when I turn the ignition. But this thread isn't about auto vs. Manual. There are a ton of those out there. Enjoy what you like!

·
Registered
493 Posts
My order for an S5 tiptronic went in 2 days ago. They are definitely accepting and processing them.
What do you mean? Do you know when your car will be ready? Last time i talked to Audi dealers - they told me that automatic will be available April-May 08 and now they say it will be available September-October ...
I love the S5 but waited like 5 months and now i understand that it wont be available 5 more months...
Anyone has exact infomation about the automatic ? :( :(

·
Registered
735 Posts
What do you mean? Do you know when your car will be ready? Last time i talked to Audi dealers - they told me that automatic will be available April-May 08 and now they say it will be available September-October ...
I love the S5 but waited like 5 months and now i understand that it wont be available 5 more months...
Anyone has exact infomation about the automatic ? :( :(
I have been told its being launched in Ireland in May / June 08 :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
..page 4 of Audi Germany's price list shows the S5 with Tip option. (pdf & link below)

Won't be long before the S-Tronic is available too I suppose :D

http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/a5/s5.html

BTW: I had a 2006 A6 3.2Q with Tip, and it really slurred those shifts. A true slush-box. :( Vowed never to have Tip again.

For those who think that S-Tronic is "just another auto 'box", it's really not. S-Tronic (DSG) is a totally different animal. Awesome :)

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
..page 4 of Audi Germany's price list (attached) shows the S5 with Tip option.

Won't be long before the S-Tronic is available too I suppose :D
Do you have a link? :) i will be happy to see it

I have been told its being launched in Ireland in May / June 08
When was that ? :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
this s5 is my first manual, other than my old gsxr 750. I still have my auto e36 m3 and I love driving it. Its just really hard to eat at the same time driving now. Haha. But moving to manual. I don't even know I'm shifting just seems like second nature now. Plus its good feeling what gear u want to be in. What's funny is now every time I get in an auto, my foot is pushing onthe invisible clutch when I turn the ignition. But this thread isn't about auto vs. Manual. There are a ton of those out there. Enjoy what you like!
Back home for the weekend and drove my dad's Q7 V8 and first time at stop light I reached for the clutch found the brake instead and gave myself a neckache--give me the stick (Q7 not bad for an SUV though).

·
Registered
175 Posts
No S-Tronic :confused:

Those clever boffins at audi have overcome greater challenges than putting S-Tronic in the S5.

Developing the "Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe" 'box wasn't easy in the first place, so they certainly won't shy away from dropping it into the S5.

S-Tronic 'boxes are the future of transmissions. I'm sure that Audi will apply a bit of "Vorsprung Durch Technik" and work it out :)

This is a great video showing how it works, and just how complex it is...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2491445337871038412

·
Registered
60 Posts
No S-Tronic :confused:

Those clever boffins at audi have overcome greater challenges than putting S-Tronic in the S5.

Developing the "Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe" 'box wasn't easy in the first place, so they certainly won't shy away from dropping it into the S5.

S-Tronic 'boxes are the future of transmissions. I'm sure that Audi will apply a bit of "Vorsprung Durch Technik" and work it out :)

This is a great video showing how it works, and just how complex it is...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2491445337871038412
I've read somewhere that it has to do with the arrangement of powertrain components, their interop, etc. For example A4, no quattro is offered with multitronic and A4 quattro is offered with tiptronic (you cannot have multi on A4 quattro). Same thing with the A6 line. Supposedly there was a reason why S5 cannot have multitronic or S-tronic. But then I might be totally wrong here and would not want to kill incorrectly anyone's expectations.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.