Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading an article about the new S4, saying it would have a V6 3,0 TFSI with 333 bhp... and thought to myself why doesn't the S5 have turbo :confused:

I did a search here but couldn't find any useful info on the topic... but how come they made the V8 without turbo? Has it always been like that with the other V8s? Such as the RS4?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Well, they have to leave some ground for the RS5, don't they?

Of course they could have squeezed more power out of that unit - most of the articles i've read have said that. But space has to be left in the market for the upcoming RS5.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The S4 doesn't have a turbo... I believe it has a supercharger. Anyways, there was no turbo in the S5 because:
1. We already know that a turbocharged 4.2 V8 without FSi can easily churn out 450 HP (a la previous get RS6), which would be way too powerful, for Audi at least, for an S model car.
2. Audi did not have a turbocharged V6 in production or development during the development of the S5.
3. Even if they decided spend all the money to make a new V6 twin turbo for the S5, I am sure that the demographics of people who would buy an S5 would rather have an N/A V8 than a turbocharged V6.
4. Sticking with a de-tuned RS4 4.2 V8 was probably the cheapest option of the three (although I do feel that Audi should have charged a few grand more, and then put the 420 HP RS4 V8 in it, to better compete with the M3 and C63, and then put a turbocharged 4.2 V8 FSi making 480-500 HP in the RS5... that would be hot!)

·
Registered
677 Posts
4. Sticking with a de-tuned RS4 4.2 V8 was probably the cheapest option of the three (although I do feel that Audi should have charged a few grand more, and then put the 420 HP RS4 V8 in it, to better compete with the M3 and C63, and then put a turbocharged 4.2 V8 FSi making 480-500 HP in the RS5... that would be hot!)
I could not agree more. This would have made S5 vs. 335 comparisons a no brainer. The comparison would be S5 vs. M3. And then when the RS5 came out to bad BMW you have nothing to play with at this level.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers...
It just hit me that day that the S5 didn't have turbo. I ordered my S5 in august and didn't think about. My old A4 1.8T was great and I said to myself that I'll never buy a car without turbo. But I did, without even knowing it :D

The thing is I've never driven an S5 so I can't say anything about the engine, but all I've heard is that I won't be dissapointed :p

·
Registered
324 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmyz

+1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts