Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Why lowered with spacers doesn't foul the wheel arch...

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  denakno 
#1 · (Edited)
As many of you will know, I've had my S5 lowered and have 15mm spacers all round. The wheels now fit very snugly under the aches (see profile pic) and it just looks great! ;)

However... Every time somebody sees my car they almost always ask "Doesn't the wheel catch on the arches?" because it looks like it should... I briefly explain that due to the suspension geometry the wheel moves away from the arch under compression... and usually end up having to explain about wishbone suspension and camber angles etc... Yawn! :rolleyes:

However, to help explain to those on here who were also wondering... and especially for those about to have their cars lowered and spacered (is that a word?) this weekend, a diagram you can print out and carry with you to explain to people you talk to that actually, there isn't a problem with the tyres fouling the arches...

I think that's self explanatory!

The suspension is designed like this in order to increase the camber angle of the wheel when cornering hard and the car leans a little (or not if you've had it lowered ;) ). This helps maintain the footprint of the tyre properly on the road giving greater grip and stability.

Ian (Prof!)

PS... I think I might start my own "technical stuff for dummies like me" blog!

See less See more
#2 ·
Prof, you are truly a God to me. Do you just do automotive stuff, or can you help with other questions over which I regularly ponder, such as:

1) If cows laughed, would milk come out of their noses?
2) Why do ships carry cargoes and cars carry shipments?
3) When will a 'building' actually become a 'built'?
4) Why do we call them 'apartments' when they are all together@
5) Why isn’t phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
6) Why is my car faster than yours?
7) Why do girls love me more than they do you?

Remember, diagrams obligatory, algebra optional but encouraged.

Doh! Trashed another promising technical thread - I'll get my coat.....

#3 ·
LOL! :D

Sorry, only do cars, but I can answer 6) and 7)

6) Why is your car faster than Mine? Well, that's down to weight... My car is heavier than yours because it actually has a coat of paint on it, not just primer. ;)

7) Why do girls love you more than me? Simple... I'm fat, and you look like an easy lay. :eek:

:D

#4 ·
Awesome info prof!

[Me raising my hand]

Yes, a quick question though, Dr Ian. Did you have your wheel alignments done after lowering the car? I heard through other threads that after you lower your car, you should have a 4-wheel alignment so that there won't be any uneven wear due to the lowered suspension putting more weight on the inside portion of the tires.

Is your explanation for cars that are lowered or cars that are lowered and had a 4-wheel alignment?

Thanks.

#5 ·
'
Yes I did have a full 4-wheel alignment done to ensure it is all set up correctly after the changes. This absolutely recommended and APS do this included in the cost of fitting the springs.

The explanation works for the standard car too, because this behaviour is down to the positions of the suspension joints and the lengths of the arms, which remain unaltered by the lowering... although the diagram refers to a lowered car as the standard has much more clearance.

:)

#7 ·
Cool thanks! I had mine lowered 1" with the alignment and have not had any rubbing issues and just wanted to make sure the explanation you gave was valid for my setup as well so I can thus explain it to others when they bug...er, I meant... ask me about it. :)

#9 ·
...If that's 20mm per wheel (40mm per axle) then I can't say... it will be close though, as 15mm looks close! I think I have seen/heard of cars with 20mm though... keep us posted (literelly!) as we would all be interested in the 'definative' answer to this. ;)

#10 ·
Here's a video of a guy in Jersey who put, what says, 30mm and 25mm spacers on his S5 (I'm assuming he put the 30mm on the rear and 25mm on the front). It doesn't look that bad but again I wouldn't know how it is driving the thing. I'm not sure if he's on this site otherwise we could ask him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEodYgisIoc

#11 ·
...My only concern with spacer 'specs' is that some people/companies quote the specs 'per axle' and some 'per wheel'

For instance... I have 15mm spacers all-round (per wheel), which is 30mm per axle.

Does Rozman have 30mm per wheel rear or 15mm per wheel making 30mm track difference at the rear????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.