Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting to know my new (to me) 2005 B6 with that amazing engine. I have so far made just 3x300km motorway journeys and she goes and sounds wonderful. Water temp goes up to 90 degrees and stays there. But yesterday when I was making a local trip, I stopped for coffee only 3km from my garage and the radiator fans kept working when I switched off before the car was up to temp, and then it did the same again 10km further up the road. BUT the air temp was only maybe 18 degrees C and the air coming from the engine when I opened the bonnet was not really hot.

Any ideas please, I just wanna ensure my motor is good before I take her any further from home......thanks.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Check the coolant level. Also a failed or weak pressure cap can cause cooling faults.
Can you do a diagnostic read? Could be iffy temp sensor?
Obvious one, are you using the Air con or is it in ECON mode and switched off?
Could be thermostat, but I think you would notice irregularities in the temp gauge, to cool or sitting above 90 degrees.
Water pump? Not sure if the V8 has pump issues - but again you would see some over heating signs, especially on long journeys or fluctuation on the temp gauge.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys very kind, I am now making a list and I will start my detailed investigation and report my findings. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my B5 S4 this was caused by a faulty fan controller. Located on the chassis rail in all the dirt and spray on the B5! HTH
Thanks 444 I must go searching this weekend. This makes more sense methinks also cos the car lived many years in snowy Switzerland ......

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ps can you give me an idea of where exactly to find this fan controller please.....

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Pal very kind, tomorrow I will go and investigate......ta.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so here is the news........car battery fookin dead, cos overnight the fans came on and er yes killed the battery!!!!! Not even enough juice to power the interior light bulbs. Goodness. So just put her onto a trickle charger and I hope that tomorrow I can fire her up again. Ho hum.....

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh dear. Maybe you should just pull the fan fuse until you figure out what's causing it to stick on. Shouldn't give you any issues unless you're likely to be stuck in loads of traffic. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks SJ yes I will do that so at least I can use her.....

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update / Well I just discovered that my car is fitted with a battery which is not really up to the job!!! It was a small 72Ah thing, of course lighter and smaller than the standard massive 90Ah jobbie. So I bought a new official one for 130Euro and went to fit her and to remove the fan fuse and guess what.....yes you guessed, I started the car and then when I removed the fuse the bloody fan simply continued to run!!!!!!! Grrrrr more digging required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts