Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enjoyed viewing the site for the last month...great discussions from a knowledgeable fan base. I am in the process of debating which new car to purchase later this year. Perhaps someone could enlighten me on why you chose the S5? What other cars did you consider? My choices at this point are the S5, M3, CLS 550 and the new Jaquar XF. Thanks in advance for the helpful insight!
Oh yeah, be kind...I am a rookie! :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I was looking at the Jaguar XFR but its not out yet. Not a fan of the BMW 3 series as its too common. Mercs just dont do it for me at that price range.

S5 won on its overall packaging. Looks, feel, comfort, engine. Not the best in any one area but the best at giving you everything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The S5 was for us because
  • WIF - Wife Influential Factor, she wanted us (Evan and I) in a AWD car
  • Looks
  • Interior
  • Feel on the road
  • Overall features

As AWD cars go there is not much out there that can touch this given eveything else. If I removed that as a criteria then I would have probably gone with an E46 style M3 competition edition with SMG mainly because I always wanted a M3. The interior of the BMW is doesn't even touch the S5 so I am extremely happy with my purchase.

My buddy has a BMW 335 so over the weekend we were switching back and forth. Although both are comparable on the numbers, only after back to back tests did I began to understand what most professional shootouts (aka car and driver, automobile, etc..) are talking about when they say that the 335 is more fun when pushed than the S5. The 335 does give you a "better sense of the road". In fact, even he said that if he had to decide today he would have went for the S5...so how is that for justification!

However, I do not drive like that (hard that is) all the time...not even most of the time so the S5 for me is a perfect balance between performance, style and comfort.

PS: We already have a big-a55 SUVEE for everything else.

·
Registered
483 Posts
for me... it's all about quattro relative to the other two cars that you mentioned...

i also chose the S5 b/c of its exclusivity and styels... but i'd say that's not a factor if you are comparing strictly against those two....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
  • Its looks awesome
  • Its got a great sounding V8 engine
  • The interior is excellent
  • It's a good all rounder - just as doubleroom said
  • It's still not that common - most people still ask me what it is
  • The M3 although excellent drivers car - the overall look is nothing special and the interior is crap.

·
Registered
435 Posts
CLK 550 - No Manual Transimission
M3/335xi - Interior was uncomfortable, look is dated and unimpressive IMO
XFR - I have never met a person who bought a Jaguar twice. 2 Relatives and 3 Co-Workers as recently as a 2006 x-type. But other than that, I don't know much about it.

Those were the big deal breakers for me with those cars. My happy list that put me over the edge for the S5 were: comfort, luggage space, tech, look, and AWD.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i might be an interesting data point because i didn't have a previous car, and i didnt drive before (i live in new york city). but i had been thinking of getting an RS4 for a year, just to have a fun time in it.... then they showed the S5 and i instantly made up my mind i had to have THAT car. why?

-the looks are second to none. it's one of the most beautiful cars on the road, and definitely the most beautiful car on the road in its price range.
-technology. wow. im a tech gotta-have-it-geek (i am an MIT computer science type), and this car has everything you could want
-interior. its the benchmark. every other car now has to measure up, and they just cant.
-exclusivity. there are just SO FEW out there. i see probably 5 or 6 911s a day and ive only seen 1 S5 besides mine on the road, EVER.
-bang for buck. pretty sure this could be a $75,000 car and still sell out. i feel like i truly got a bargain for everything that this car comes with. and my friends all agree it could almost be considered a cheap car (i think the new M3 coupe specs out at like $10k more if you spec it the same as the S5).

so yeah, i didnt quite choose the S5 over any other cars so much as no other cars made me want to own a car. when i saw the S5 i had to own THAT car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My reasons for not buying the competition were:

CLK: Nice car- but past it's prime
BMW: Don't Like the image and looks too ordinary
XF: Best jag for ages, but hate the golf club image and if I wanted something that looked like a mondeo, I would buy a Mondeo and save myself 20 grand

In my opinion the S5 is an absolute bargain for what you get, and the image is spot on - just comes down to personal taste really.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It doesn't win in any certain category... But it almost perfects all of them at the same time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Like some of the others I went to the audi dealership for a browse and when I saw the s5 it blew my away. I knew instantly that this was going to be my next car.I hadnt planned on spending as much on a car but this is a car worth pushing the boat out for imo_Only had it 3 days and loving it.:)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I usually pick out 4-5 cars that I am interested in the test drive them all. Whichever gives me the overall best impression (looks, performance, features ) wins. I have had such bad luck with Mecedes in the past that I don't believe I will ever buy another, Looked at the 650i- to me it felt like J lo (heavy in the rear). Even if I still liked MB, it is not as sporty as I am looking for now. 335 i is too crude for my tastes. Cadillac CTS still not up to snuff on the inside, and would only consider a V version (not currently available and not AWD). Jaguar xk I just don't like its looks very much, and it doesn't feel sporty enough for me. S5 wins. Oh yeah, forgot the M3 still too crude for me, and just too ugly inside for the price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had no plans to buy a S5 until I walked into a dealership to buy a Porsche Cayman and the S5 stopped me dead in my tracks....then I drove it and the grin it put on my face, reminded me of the first time I drove my M6. Even though from a overall power perspective it does not compete, off the mark hearing the V8 growl, with next to no tire burn as I stepped into it was amazing, as I test drove it, I watched as people stopped to see what it was and that did it. Most people not in the know, assume my M6 is just another 650.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Spouse and grown kids said, "Buy a car _you_ want." And not a SUV. So...

All wheel drive, high performance top-of-the-line two door coupe - what else is there out there?

I started with the A5 in mind, but a friend found out what I was up to and said, "Don't kid around." So, I went for the real deal and (as I've reported elsewhere here) have NO regrets.
S.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Agree with many of the comments already made. I'm on my 2nd 330ci so naturally considered a 335ci - but I hate its looks, the ride on it's run flat tyres is dreadful, the interior feels 2nd rate and iDrive is a nightmare. At the end of the day, the S5 just looks and feels a very special car to drive and be in. The interior is spectacularly beautiful and so well made. The only negative to me is the appalling low mpg but I do a low mileage anyway so the incremental cost of its higher fuel consumption is of little consequence to me. I would have considered a Jaguar XF if they'd bothered to design a 2 door version (but even the 4 door will be $30,000+ more here than an S5) but without a manual gearbox even that would have been eliminated. I also like where Audi's image is now. It feels right for me. BMW's image in Oz is questionable (varying from envy to owners who are considered to be arseholes!) and obese people, diplomats and gangsters are seen in MB's all over the world, especially black ones! No thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Passenger Seat Symmetry FTW!!!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It was love at first sight, lust at first rev!! ;)

For me it's perfect... I'm an audi man, I love the styling and the approach audi has to cars (avoiding the word image) The fact that they made a car THIS beautiful with an engine THIS sweet left me with no option but to have one.

What would you do if someone offered you Evangeline Lilly for £600 a month?

·
Registered
40 Posts
  • Its looks awesome
  • Its got a great sounding V8 engine
  • The interior is excellent
  • It's a good all rounder - just as doubleroom said
  • It's still not that common - most people still ask me what it is
  • The M3 although excellent drivers car - the overall look is nothing special and the interior is crap.
DITTO

my words EXACTLY. Having gone to the official launch of the E92 M3, driven the E92 M3 to say it disserpointing is a MASSIVE UNDERSTATEMENT, and the fact its nearly 10k more for the standard spec car makes the S5 look a steel.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Why an S5

My first visit to an Audi dealer in the spring of 2007 was for an A4. I then learned about the A5 and was hooked on these elements:
• Coupe form factor
• The overall styling package
• S-Line sport package and seating
• Quattro AWD
• German engineering
• It’s not as common as a BMW (dime a dozen around here)

However, after several months of looking at the features of the S5, getting input from A5OC, realizing I wanted the significant increase in performance & handling, and running the numbers on cost and mileage I decided to order the S5.
The factors above still apply, but with uber-performance.

If any of you know about the V8 Vegetable Cocktail drink, there motto is
“Could’ve had a V8”

So, I did not want to be in the position after the purchase of bonking myself in the head and saying….. “Could’ve had a V8”. So go get the S5.

This is one of their adverts.
http://www.v8juice.com/videos/tvad_v8_stroller.mpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Technology & Safety

I just loved the technology and the design of Audi's.

If you read through the self study guides, you really can see the imense detail and smart technology that has gone in to this car.

A few things come to mind - Safety, the use of hot formed steel for it high strength and low mass, progressive deploying air bags, traction control, the electric brake and so on.

The performance, the 5 link suspension, servo-tronic steering, dual mass clutch, a new rear axle design, which is low profile and isdesigned for best kinematics.

Most people that see my S5 comment immediately on the cool LEDS, but there is so much more to this car than this.....

If you are serious about buying an S5, I recomend the study guides as interesting reading....

I had an V6 Biturbo S4 for 8 years which was great and the same weight as the S5 (its true) but the S5 has 100hp more, however the city MPG is very nearly the same 14 vs 17 . That's thanks in part to FSI engine technology:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts