Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the US model, the doors lock automatically when the car moves off.

If you have a crash, the airbags deploy, and the battery is disconnected via an ignitor, to prevent the risk of a fire which could be started by an electrical spark. The door locks are also designed to automatically unlock.

The question is which happens first? If the ignitor breaks the power before the doors are unlocked, you could be locked inside your car, unconscious and people from the outside being unable to get to you to pull you out.

For that reason I have set the auto-lock feature to off - it comes ON as a default in the US.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? am I paranoid?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, I wouldn't know since I don't have my car yet. Although I don't think you are paranoid since safety should always come first.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I guess someone just needs to wrap their car around a tree on purpose. You know, in the interest of science.

Not it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
also not it

given Audi's proclivity to think of everything, i'd imagine the unlock comes first before the power cut - though TBH in the accidents i've been unfortunate enough to be a first responder on, it didn't matter that the doors were unlocked.. only a small amount of damage is needed to render a door unopenable..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Useful feature. Its more common now when someone on the traffic light opens your door and steals your purse or other valuables from rear or front passenger seats. Happened to a friend of mine in Toronto. Be careful, lock your doors before you start moving.

·
Registered
435 Posts
also not it

given Audi's proclivity to think of everything, i'd imagine the unlock comes first before the power cut - though TBH in the accidents i've been unfortunate enough to be a first responder on, it didn't matter that the doors were unlocked.. only a small amount of damage is needed to render a door unopenable..
+1

In any safety design a situation like this it has to be fail safe. And if you are in a crash and the door is openable and the outside handle doesn't work, you will just open the handle yourself from the inside, or they will smash the window and then open it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Useful feature. Its more common now when someone on the traffic light opens your door and steals your purse or other valuables from rear or front passenger seats. Happened to a friend of mine in Toronto. Be careful, lock your doors before you start moving.
I agree, common practice in Ireland too to get stuff pulled from the car and boot at traffic lights :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Keep those doors locked near any build up area mate, i was at traffic lights in dublin one morning and a guy crossing in front of me, just looked over at me and deceided to take a stanley knife out and try to get into my discovery (current car while waiting for A5). Scared the S**t out of me, i just buried the throttle and went through the junction, lights be dambed!
My doors were locked, if they weren't i would have had that knife in my face.
Best to keep them locked. Its not safe out there.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I was trying to find some kind of reference, but can't find anything, so don't take this as absolute gospel, but I was told by my dealer that the doors locking when you move off (or if you press the lock button on the inside of the driver's door) is different to when you lock the doors with the key.

Basically, for the door locks which come on when you are moving, they are electrically held ON, so if you have a crash and the electrics fail or are disconnected by the safety system, then the doors will automatically unlock. This is (for obvious reasons) different from the normal door locks as you don't want a car thief to be able to unlock your car just by somehow disconnecting all power.

As I said, this could be complete cobblers, but it would make sense to me, and I would think Audi would think of this sort of thing...

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I was trying to find some kind of reference, but can't find anything, so don't take this as absolute gospel, but I was told by my dealer that the doors locking when you move off (or if you press the lock button on the inside of the driver's door) is different to when you lock the doors with the key.

Basically, for the door locks which come on when you are moving, they are electrically held ON, so if you have a crash and the electrics fail or are disconnected by the safety system, then the doors will automatically unlock. This is (for obvious reasons) different from the normal door locks as you don't want a car thief to be able to unlock your car just by somehow disconnecting all power.

As I said, this could be complete cobblers, but it would make sense to me, and I would think Audi would think of this sort of thing...
I would say that's about right. When you lock with the key, the doors are "deadlocked". They cant be opened via the outside handle OR the inside handle. (You can try this by simply leaving your window down and trying to use the inside handle to open the door)

However, with the auto lock, the inside handle is obviously still useable. In the event of a crash, the handle should operate mechanically, instead of electronically, if the electronics were ever to fail.

Take, for example, if you drove into a river. No crash detected, yet the electronics fail. The doors must open MECHANICALLY, rather than rely on the electronics.

Rab.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I supose that Audi have carefully thought about this - although I am not 100% convinced enough to have auto-lock enabled, just yet

As RAB points out a pluge in to water is a possibility, but then you can't open the doors unless you open the windows first to flood the car, and I don't think there is anyway way to get the windows down or sunroof open without power.

mmm. shall I drop an email to Audi Talk....see if they have an answer

·
Registered
182 Posts
SDS5: don't worry, water will find its way into the cabin with all of the windows fully closed, it'll just be slower..

2 things i remember about my B5S4 that i'm surious about: used to be the first door handle pull unlocked, the second opened.. also there was a motion sensor for the security system that would have gone off with the above test of reaching in to open the door from the inside - are these gone now?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

'
without knowing the actual answer, whatb I can say is that as an Engineer, I an 99% certain of two things...

1) This WILL have been designed as a 'Fail-To-Safe' system... 'Safe' being the desired state for the doors... which is undoubtedly that they can be opened.

2) Door locks are now classed as part of the vehicle safety and security system. Therefore this is governed by strict Eurpean and US legislation. I fully expect this legislation (usually hundreds of pages of requirements with really really small writing) to specify 'Fail-To-Safe' as a requirement and the 'safe' condition to be determined.

...In other words... worry not. If it's inconvenient then turn it off... you can always lock thm manually in rough areas. If not, leave it alone and amuse yourself every time you pick up your wife by the fact that she tries the handle and it won't open... you have to 'let her in'... that's a great statement and power feeling for us down-trodden husbands!

;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I'll keep it switched off:) but thanks for the amusement.

BTW; As an Engineer in the Satellite business, I have had much experience of fail safe systems as applied to launchers and satellites.... I'll say no more, except that to say I have my auto-locks disabled:) despite thinking highly of German Automobile Engineering.

Each to their own

1 - 16 of 16 Posts