Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I think I've seen a similar thread on the Forum, but can't find it on searching?

I've only put about 400 miles on my A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro (it only arrived last Wednesday after a delay caused by the dealer), but during the last 100 miles the a/c occasionally starts to whistle at an annoyingly high pitch. If I switch the a/c off then back on again it stops for a while and then restarts.

At the moment it only happens intermittently, so it may get worse or stop altogether?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Apart from that, the car is awesome and well worth the switch from BMW!!

Thanks
Addy

· Registered
384 Posts
Does this happen all the time or when you are driving at highway speeds?

Does it occur when you have circulation switched on?

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does this happen all the time or when you are driving at highway speeds? Does it occur when you have circulation switched on?
I've only noticed it as medium speeds (say 30 -40 mph) or in slow moving traffic - I haven't used the re-circulation.

· Registered
61 Posts
I've had my car since March and this happened quite frequently, to stop it I had to turn the blower settings down to "2" I think. Then after a few weeks it stopped occuring, but I have noticed in the last week that it's back.

Could it be the weather?

I should take it back to the dealer really, but it seems such a trivial thing :(

· Registered
871 Posts
Try making sure that the centre vents are fully open. I noticed on mine that if the centre vent was not fully open then it made a whistling sound

· Registered
143 Posts
Try making sure that the centre vents are fully open. I noticed on mine that if the centre vent was not fully open then it made a whistling sound
What speary said! I have noticed the same. If you switch to circulation the whistle goes away. I have turned the centre console vents off and chose the windshield vents in the climate control and no whistle ever since no matter what the fan's or the vehicle's speed is.
Congrats on the car! Are you sure the whistlings don't come from stunned passer bys BTW? Happy motoring mate!:)

Regards
George

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
..........Congrats on the car! Are you sure the whistlings don't come from stunned passer bys BTW? Happy motoring mate!:) Regards George
Thanks George

Maybe the whistling is from outside the car and I'm mistaken! Best not drive through Brighton then!

Moving swiftly on...........I'm very happy with the car, but I shouldn't have to close off vents to stop it whistling though, so can only think it's a fault that I will have looked before too long.

Drove to Cheltenham yesterday (it was hard keeping it under 4,000 revs!!) but managed 36.7 ave mpg (mostly at 80 mph at about 2,300 revs) over the 260 mile round trip. Impressed!

Anyway, I have rarely seen other A5s on the road, but saw 6 yesterday on the M4/5 (five black and one silver), and at one point I had a black 3.0 TDi in front of me and another a few cars behind! I felt like an Audi delivery driver.

Whilst driving home this evening another black A5 came the in opposite direction (North Camp, Hants) and as we closed he waved at me - never experienced this in my BMW, only ever do this in my 1958 Triumph TR3A (which if you look closely you can see it in the reflection of the not so highly polished rear bumper!) with like minded owners of all marques, even MGs! So sorry if it was you and I didn’t wave back, but you caught me by surprise.

I've added a couple photos of my new toy!

Cheers
Addy

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Thanks George

Maybe the whistling is from outside the car and I'm mistaken! Best not drive through Brighton then!

Moving swiftly on...........I'm very happy with the car, but I shouldn't have to close off vents to stop it whistling though, so can only think it's a fault that I will have looked before too long.

Drove to Cheltenham yesterday (it was hard keeping it under 4,000 revs!!) but managed 36.7 ave mpg (mostly at 80 mph at about 2,300 revs) over the 260 mile round trip. Impressed!

Anyway, I have rarely seen other A5s on the road, but saw 6 yesterday on the M4/5 (five black and one silver), and at one point I had a black 3.0 TDi in front of me and another a few cars behind! I felt like an Audi delivery driver.

Whilst driving home this evening another black A5 came the in opposite direction (North Camp, Hants) and as we closed he waved at me - never experienced this in my BMW, only ever do this in my 1958 Triumph TR3A (which if you look closely you can see it in the reflection of the not so highly polished rear bumper!) with like minded owners of all marques, even MGs! So sorry if it was you and I didn’t wave back, but you caught me by surprise.

I've added a couple photos of my new toy!

Cheers
Addy
Hey you must have had other drivers make hand signals at you in your beemer?

· Registered
143 Posts
Your new toy looks stunning Addy!:cool: Keep us posted how the thing drives once it's run in. The exhaust tip is a must have BTW. I had mine within grab for installation long before I had my car delievered and I owe this forum for letting me know about it. It was a funny sight me waiting at the dealer's lounge for delievery and having two shinny exhaust tips keeping company. I put them on first thing after the sales person introduced me to my new car waiting at the dealer's lot.

· Registered
97 Posts
my 4 day old car also had a whistling noice, but only when I put the blower on very high, but then I tried to see where the noise is coming from, so i opened the window just to see if it's outside, then it just stopped whistling, closed the window, and it whistled, then for the second time, then it stopped even after closing the window. It's hella wierd lol.

· Registered
70 Posts
I've had my car a few weeks and I get a whistle. It only does it on medium to high fan speeds and stops when I turn the fan down! 'It's annoying and will need to get fixed.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
Found this.................

Technical product information Transaction No.: 2016030/2
Whistling noise from ventilation Release date: 19-Mar-2008

Customer statement / workshop findings

Whistling noises from the ventilation. If the air conditioning is switched off, the noise disappears.

Technical background

The noises are created by the brushes of the blower motor.

Production change

Optimised blower with part number index B and additional noise damping on the fresh air blower from 8T 8A 005100

Measure

Replace the fresh air blower according to the A5 air conditioning repair manual.

Fit only fresh air blowers with the part index B and fit additionally the noise damping for the blower motor with the part number 8K1 815 057 and a new cover 8K1 819 593 A for LHD vehicles.

For RHD vehicles proceed in the same with the parts according to parts catalogue.

Accounting instructions

Service number/damage code/manufacturer: 8530 020 ...

Accounting with APOS:

Repair operations
Designation
Time units

85 30 19 00
Remove and install blower
90 TU

Accounting in APOS/2:

Illustration
Position
Engine number
Activity
Time units

820-30
according to the instruction

Parts information

Parts for LHD vehicles:

1. Noise-damped fresh air blower with part index B according to parts catalogue.

2. Noise damping for blower motor 8K1 815 057

3. Cover with noise insulation in the passenger footwell 8K1 819 593 A

Parts for RHD vehicles:

1. Noise-damped fresh air blower 8K2 820 021 B according to parts catalogue.

2. Noise damping for blower motor 8K2 815 057

3. Cover with noise insulation in the passenger footwell 8K2 819 593 A

· Registered
70 Posts
Very interesting information, although I would have expected that a fix bulletined in March 08 would have found its way on to my car built Oct/Nov 08!

Many thanks...........

· Registered
714 Posts
My AC has started to "tick" when it's set to 19C or 20C. Anyone else have this problem and even better a fix for it?

The car's due for a service in the next week or two so I'll get it looked into then anyway.

· Registered
5 Posts
Thank you very much for this information morski. I had this same problem, a high pitch wind noise coming from the center 2 vents the first 2 weeks I had my car. It has gone away after the 3rd wk or so, I haven't heard this noise since then. I guess this is definitely not limited to the A5 as I have a 2009 S5 purchased in September 2008.

· Registered
714 Posts
OK, so my A5 just had its first service at 18500 miles and I reported the clicking A/C. When I got a call saying the car was ready after only a couple of hours I expected the usual "no fault found" but was actually told I had a defective fan. It's on order with a lead time > 3 weeks as there are none in the UK right now. Hmmm .... design flaw?

So, having been impressed that they'd serviced the car quickly, had found the fault with the A/C and had actually bothered to call to say the car was ready (I normally end up chasing them 30 mins before closing time) I thought things were starting to look up with service levels. However, they blew it all because when I got back in the car the airbag warning light stayed on. Turns out they had pulled the glove box out and "forgotten to reset things". Oh good, I wonder if they inspected my brakes and forgot anything. I guess I should be pleased I still have 4 wheels on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.