Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing a whine/howl when accelerating from 50 to 55 mph, and when deccelerating from 70 to 65.

After researching, I think it's my rear differential's gear is worn or the bearing shims aren't doing their jobs. I'm not sure if the differential can be repaired, but at around $300 used from junk yard, I'm thinking of just swapping another one in myself.

Has anyone done this before? The instructions look doable. Just unbolt all the drive shafts, unbolt from the subframe, and manuver it out.

Any tips/experience/lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Alex

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Alex mate, how many miles on the clock?? And given she is 4WD why only the rear one, is the front one not gonna need doing as well??? Good luck!! Problem with junk yards is that they generally sell stuff from old cars so may be no better than yours???

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
85K miles / 140 km

The sound is coming from the back. I need to put on some chassis ears to confirm, but it seems the open-differential design have this problem.

I've never heard of anyone complaining about the torsen-c/quattro differential and the ZF 8HP transmission that I have seem to have a solid reputation on reliability.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts