Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is best A5 Sport or S Line?

I been looking about but no answers?

Im looking at getting the S Line as it has the LED front lights and works out a few hundred pounds cheaper.

But what actually is the difference?

thanks guys

·
Registered
112 Posts
Main difference is the body kit, but in detail here are the differences, straight from the (UK) brochure:

Wheels, tyres and suspension
18 x 8J '5 spoke' S line design alloy wheels with
245/40 R18 tyres
Sports suspension with stiffer spring settings and
shock-absorbers (S line Sport suspension available
at no charge)
Space-saver spare wheel

Interior equipment
3-spoke S line multi-function steering wheel
(paddle shift for automatic models)
Black headlining
Matt brushed aluminium inlays
Perforated leather gear knob
S line embossed Sport seats in Milano leather
S line sill plates

Exterior equipment
Bumper 'blade' in Platinum optic
Chrome rolled exhaust
S line exterior styling package including:
– S line side skirts
– S line front bumper
– S line rear diffuser
– S line badges on wings
Xenon headlights with LED running lights
Additional upholstery information
Option of black or silver stitching to upholstery,
steering wheel, gearshift gaiters, floor mats on
Alcantara/leather upholstery only

·
Registered
112 Posts
The "S Line" isn't cheaper, but could be seen as being better value, but the "better value" does come at additional cost!

The main downside (at least to some people) of the "S Line" (in the UK at least) is the limited choice of alloys (although that is supposed to be changing) and the all black only interior.

On the plus side you get the body kit, DRLs as standard and some interior niceties.

·
Registered
98 Posts
could have sworn DRL's weren't part of the S Line package when I opted for mine in October, hence why I got the sport model with DRL's added on? Hope I'm not blind!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks guys for the info, think im gonna opt for the S Line 2.0 211bhp petrol auto, went to the show room today said they would get it in for mid april

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good choice - you will now have to pick a colour which is one of the most emotive questions we see on here:wall:

That is a very good delivery time, hope they have given you the correct info!

·
Registered
47 Posts
On the A5 at the moment there isn't a lot to choose from, mainly because the "standard" options you get on the S-line (LED's being the main one) can be added add as an extra on the Sport for less than the price of the difference between the models. If LED's were all that you are bothered about then I would go for the Sport and add the LED's.

The main difference (and plus point to the S-line) which can't be added as an extra from the brochure is the external body kit - some subtle differences in the front and rear kits, which I don't really notice, and the side skirts. Whether you like these is a matter of choice. I think they go well with some colours and look a bit tacky on others. The side skirt is very similar if not identical to the S5 skirt, so have a look at some S5 pictures to see if you like the side skirts etc. You also get the choice of a couple of extra colours - although this choice means nothing if you're not going for those colours!

The main downside (and which made my mind up to go for the Sport) was the lack of customisation on the interior and alloys. With a Sport you can go for lighter interiors such as Star Silver, Light Gray, Beige etc. With the S-line you're stuck with Black only, which depending on your car colour can be a bit dull. The wheels (as Suzy has pointed out) are also a big negative - the 18" S-line wheels look too small on the A5 and are a bit ordinary. If you upgrade to 19" then you only have one option, the 20 spoke alloys. The 5 spoke "y" designs which do look excellent (and which are featured on all of the A5 promotional pics it seems) are not available for some reason. The 20" wheels are available, but at that level you're making quite a big sacrifice with ride quality.

When I ordered I had to decide whether I would want the S-line exterior body changes, or the 19" "y" design wheels with the Start Silver interior - I thought the car looked better with the latter, so went for the Sport.

The wheel option might change (although I doubt they will introduce the 19" y's again. On the other hand, you can also add the side skirts post order fairly easily as well.

Whatever you choose, my advice would be make the order and then don't check available specs again, you'll just worry that you've missed out on the "perfect" car!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
S-Line UK Intro

I agree with most posts above. The Sline was introduced in the UK on 23 October 2008 a week or so after I took delivery of my sport having been told no S-Line!

I have to say the lighter interiors available on the sport do make the interior a nice place to be, but I would probably have gone for a sport. DRL's have I believe always been standard on S-Line, they used to be standard on V6 models until S-Line announced then a price drop and became optional.:music-smiley-019:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with most posts above. The Sline was introduced in the UK on 23 October 2008 a week or so after I took delivery of my sport having been told no S-Line!

I have to say the lighter interiors available on the sport do make the interior a nice place to be, but I would probably have gone for a sport. DRL's have I believe always been standard on S-Line, they used to be standard on V6 models until S-Line announced then a price drop and became optional.:music-smiley-019:
After all the moaning and groaning about missing out on the S Line :hissyfit::hissyfit:you now say you would have gone for a Sport?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I, sort of, know what he means as I was just about to order a sport when the s line became available. I had been going to order the star silver interior with the meteor but changed to quartz because of the black interior only choice with the s line. I did think about keeping with the sport but the side skirts etc made me go s line:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
After all the moaning and groaning about missing out on the S Line :hissyfit::hissyfit:you now say you would have gone for a Sport?

Hi Wicksy..

What I said was.. 'I would probably have gone for a sport'... the family and colleagues (and me) like the lighter interior and roof lining.

We have had S-Line on A3 Sportback, A4 Avant and A6 in each case with a factory sunroof. But I don't think you can order S-Line A5 with a sunroof? in which case the inside would be a bit too black IMHO (Did I really say that 'too black') + of course the 19 in Y spokes are great but hopefully if S-Line Coupe spec follows the new Cabriolet S5 syle alloys may become an option.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No sun roof, hmm, Im gna miss the sun roof

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can get a sunroof on the S Line - I have got one on order!! For some reason this option is not listed in the price list, but I saw a picture of a LHD S Line with a sunroof, so I asked the dealer and after a few days they came back and said it was available at £800. So I ditched the B&O and had the sunroof instead as I thought the interior could do with the extra light. I have a BMW 325 M Sport at the moment and the black interior with black headlining can be a bit opressive on dull days!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can get a sunroof on the S Line - I have got one on order!! For some reason this option is not listed in the price list, but I saw a picture of a LHD S Line with a sunroof, so I asked the dealer and after a few days they came back and said it was available at £800. So I ditched the B&O and had the sunroof instead as I thought the interior could do with the extra light. I have a BMW 325 M Sport at the moment and the black interior with black headlining can be a bit opressive on dull days!!
Interesting as I thought the dealer who told me he could order an A5 with a sunroof was talking nonsense.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Sunroofs were in the option list for Standard Sport and S5, they then were deleted, friend ordered with one for June 08 and was not available. Nice to let some light in a dark S-Line cabin I think! Shame you have traded B&O it's fantastic!!

I think Sunroof is Standard in US!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sunroofs

I believe that the factory have had "technical problems" with the panoramic sunroof. I've heard of orders sitting unfulfilled in the system with no delivery date available. I was told by a UK dealer that this is why you can't see / spec a sunroof on the configurator.

Shame as it's a pretty option.

Also, I personally wouldn't spend the extra £££ on S-Line. The 'standard' body is gorgeous and 19" Y-spokes look the part. Therefore, you only "miss out" on black headlining (which I find makes the interior oppressive) and the much-debated Daytime Running Lights. As per my other post, you can still get these if you're quick / order a Sport that's already come off the end of the Production Line.

TJM

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have been aware of the comments about the black interior for some time and they were beginning to get me a wee bit worried...

However I had to swop cars with my wife today who has a mini convertible and I realised that it has black headlining (only had it 2 years!!) and I have never felt that the cabin was oppressive.

I also believe that lots of high end cars (DBS etc) have black headlining and can't recall any reviews dissing them:cool:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Black Headlining

True - it's all down to personal taste. I'm 6'5", so I'm VERY close to the headlining in anything other than a transit!!! lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts