Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m looking for a used car and I was thinking about A5 2012-13. I found a few that are really nice but I don’t know how and what to choose!

I’ve read that one of the best combination it’s 2.0 tdi manual (some saying that it’s kinda lazy) or 3.0tdi s tronic or manual.

I want a car that isn’t so lazy.. if I’m in a takeover I want to be sure I don’t need to get down and push the car to run faster :)) but at the same time i dont want something too powerful either.

Anyway what’s the best combination for a reliable car that isn’t too lazy and a reliable gearbox?

Sorry if my English isn’t so good. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I can only comment on the s-tronic gearbox. The one fitted to the B8 platform was revised twice because the first version proved to have reliability issues. I cannot be sure of the dates but I believe that the 3rd and final version was introduced in the 2nd quarter of 2013. So if you can buy an A5 built later than that you will get the most reliable s-tronic gearbox.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Hiya mate well the 3.0 cars are for sure better in an overtake situation given that they have loads of low down grunt so you dont need to rev them. The 3 litre diesel is great with manual or auto and as Dippy mentions just avoid the early STronics. These cars are in general very strong indeed, of course if you read this site you will tend to think that there are only problems, but note that few people write about a car with no problems hehehe. Enjoy!

·
Registered
784 Posts
For reliability I would have thought the 6 speed manual is more or less bulletproof, with the only serviceable item being the clutch and flywheel combo. The older slush box 6 speed ZF tiptronic is an old and conventional torque converter auto, which, it being the last of it's generation before Audi swapped for the dual clutch, ought to be fairly stout too, not really heard that many stories about it bar the bullshit "sealed for life" no oil change necessary stuff.

As others have alluded to, the dual clutch S-tronic is more modern and complicated, which comes with a price. But aside from the occasional mechatronic unit failing I've not heard that many horror stories, and I believe it is servicable to an extent without removing the gearbox from the car. Does require oil changes as part of a regular maintenance service though!

The one gearbox to stay away from is the multitronic CVT. Nothing but problems for that item throughout the B8 production run to my knowledge.

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts