Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the battery on the A5? I've looked everywhere.....

Under the bonnet
In the boot
Under the drivers seat
In the headrests
Wheel arches

Can't find it no where!

Add to that i've just had a bottle of Afganistan Spring Water - which some say Osama has had a bath in!

Not in a good way at all :eek:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Have you checked the owners manual?:p

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
It's in the boot, under the spare wheel.

If you're jump starting the car, or jump starting any other car for that matter, there's terminals in the engine bay specifically for it, you shouldn't be connecting directly to the battery, as it could result in a very costly electronics failure.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I thought it was in the engine bay tucked between the engine and the firewall. Only the dealer can get to it without ripping up your car... it's just below the wipers. I could be dead wrong though.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It's in the boot, under the spare wheel.

If you're jump starting the car, or jump starting any other car for that matter, there's terminals in the engine bay specifically for it, you shouldn't be connecting directly to the battery, as it could result in a very costly electronics failure.
+1

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
On the A5 3.0 TDi it's definitely in the boot - I was looking at mine just the other day and thinking to myself "So that's where the battery is!" just after I discovered it there whilst doing a bit of spring (autumn) cleaning.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Why has bigbob been banned after his first post. Because of his name? Or because of the terrorist reference? Just curious :confused:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...And another post that was removed I think on the steering wheel thread.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Definately in the boot (trunk) on my 1.8

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah.. its a good question... I'd be trying to jumpstart my moms car and been... where the...??

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Why has bigbob been banned after his first post. Because of his name? Or because of the terrorist reference? Just curious :confused:
Various posts throughout the forum have been removed. The posts can now only be viewed by moderators.

Thanks to those who reported them.

Rab.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Yeah.. its a good question... I'd be trying to jumpstart my moms car and been... where the...??
If you are jump starting your mum's car, I cant stress how important it is that you use the terminals designed for this in the Engine Bay, rather than connecting straight to the battery.

As I said, you could end up with a bill worth a few thousand pounds/dollars to repair the electrical system, and your warranty won't cover it.

On that note, a guy across the road from me used a booster pack to charge his flat battery. It completely messed up his Merc's entire electrical system, and ended up with a bill for a good few thousand pounds to rewire EVERYTHING in the car :eek:

If you plan on charging your battery, rather than a jump start, then you should disconnect the battery from the car and charge it.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Ok, had to go out and check (but it's pissing down so only got to lift the bonnet) - so the 'user access' battery terminals are deffo under a cover on the bulkhead in front of the windscreen - but I guess that the location of the actual battery is common to all As'Ss and the consensus is that is in the boot.

Sound about right?

BTW, Bastard Bob was banned for being both insulting and inane in all of his four posts - and even I haven't managed that yet! Guess he was a spammer, nothing better to do. He's probably polluting some other forum with his drivel as I write....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I darn huge battery as well. I wonder if it could be relocated in order to fit a LPG tank in the boot??

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yeah, can't stress this enough:

DO NOT connect jump-start cables directly to the battery in the boot/trunk! There are dedicated spots under the bonnet for this, use them. Check the manual.

Yes, the battery is in the trunk under the spare (or under the tyre repair kit depeding on your equipment level, but in the same place nevertheless).

If you do remove or disconnect the battery from the car, remove minus pole first. And disconnect the battery monitor cable from the battery before reconnecting the minus pole! The battery monitor cable is that small bundle of wires going to the minus pole cabling, it clips out - make sure it is clipped out when you reconnect the minus pole and only connect the battery monitor cable after you have reconnected both plus and minus... the battery monitor might go bonkers otherwise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A neighbor asked me to jump start his car and by mistake I allowed him to jump start it directly from the battery, a friend mentioned to me after that I should had used the terminals that are located in the engine compartment...... Silly me....

Do you know why Audi provides the additional terminals in front? Is it for safety reasons in case the battery explode? Or it could affect the electricals?

My main question is: How do I check myself if the electricals are fine, before my husband comes...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts