Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry gents I know Its my second one today.. I just noticed my tires have not got much life left. I have been planning on getting some RS6 style alloys, The OEM 21 inch size is too much for me. I prefer to have fair size tires to give me some protection from potholes. Attached is what I'm after.

I know there’s a lot of nice 20 inch wheels but I kind of had my heart set on these for a few years. Thinking I will get round to it eventually and I have seen some on eBay floating about.

How ether I wouldn’t want to get replica/clones off eBay I would prefer a decent brand/company to get them from.... I don’t want to buy some crap quality alloys.

Problems with 21" OEM

1. Acceleration will surely suffer from bigger wheels? unless I suppose your running rubber band tires.
2. fitment. Not sure if 21's are a guaranteed thing.
3. I have been running PS3 tires and the profile on my stock 19 inch wheels definitely has saved me from some surprise potholes.

I could be completely wrong so I thought best to ask you gents.
If you know any decent companies with this style send it my way so I can check it out.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
With replicas, watch the load rating. They tend to crack very easily, and what I've found from being in the wheel business is the Chinese, who generally manufacture them will stamp any load rating on the back.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here ya go

Can't argue at the price! :D

I bought the 19" rotors for my A5 3.0tdi, very good quality and can't tell the difference unless you look at the back for the stamping!
Dave,

It looks exactly like what I'm after. Abit cheap tho? Do you have the exact same form them but 19 inches?
How long you had them etc are they holding up? I had found some by autoworx teesside but the reviews of corrosion have put me right off them.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
With replicas, watch the load rating. They tend to crack very easily, and what I've found from being in the wheel business is the Chinese, who generally manufacture them will stamp any load rating on the back.
Yeah, they did say the normal 650kg on the back, but like you say, whether they live up to that load rating! :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Dave,

It looks exactly like what I'm after. Abit cheap tho? Do you have the exact same form them but 19 inches?
How long you had them etc are they holding up? I had found some by autoworx teesside but the reviews of corrosion have put me right off them.

Cheers!
I got the Rotors and the finish was very good, even the diamond cut on the front. Didn't have any issues with them for the year I had them on until I sold the car.

Yeah, I saw the same corrosion issues with the rep BMW diamond cut wheels, but a lot say they are perfectly fine and it was a particular owner that used acid cleaners and didn't wax them that had issues. You don't need alloy cleaner on wheels in my opinion as long as you give them a good wax, then shampoo and water will clean them up properly. Try and wax them once or twice a year. I had Redstuff ceramic pads which are kinder to alloys too. They might need a little more care, like using wheel waxes. Long term I can't say, but my opinion was they were good quality!

I did my research on CM wheels before taking the plunge and was perfectly happy with them! The only issue I noticed compared to OE wheels is the thickness of the rim seemed thicker than OE so the tyre protective rim was a little less effective as the tyre didn't stick out from the rim quite as far, but I'm only talking millimetres! Plus I didn't have an OE rotor alloy to compare to and was basing it on the comparison with my Y spokes, so it may not have been different!? :)

The price is less than 1 of the OE wheels, so worth a punt IMO!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They look decent. So I called them and got the info on them. so their 13.9kg per alloy so a tad heavier than OEM but were talking like 500grams and were adding an inch so seems right and they take 690kg per wheel. I don't know what the stock A5 wheel rating is.... can't find much on that.

So I figured tire size is 255/35 R20 probably gonna get PS3/4 as they worked great on my car and lasted ages! no droning etc so solid bet. I have read some people on here have had droning noises with certain tire brands.

So I also did a calculator for camber and speedo. I can alter the wheel size in VCDS so I'm not worried about the speedo.

See attached images one is with a 35 sidewall and one with 30. Is it worth getting a slightly lower profile? I assume 35 means 3.5 inches of sidewall and 30 means 3 inches. will half an inch of rubber make much difference to ride quality? because the attached pics will show running 20-inch wheels with a 30 won't really affect any overall performance and speeds. where the 35's call for calibration etc.

I will probably get all my camber done properly once I get these wheels.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I think the OE wheels are rated at 650kg.

The 35 sidewall is 35% of the width, so the wider wheel with 35 profile will have a slightly taller sidewall.

The 20" wheels are 9J so you will need a 265/275 tyre :)

I always get the geometry checked when putting new tyres on, don't want to wear out nice fresh rubber on the corners.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm just going off that the standard 19" wheels are 8.5J and they have 255 tyres. RS5 20" tyres are 265/275.

So I would be putting at least 265s on, but up to you. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just going off that the standard 19" wheels are 8.5J and they have 255 tires. RS5 20" tires are 265/275.

So I would be putting at least 265s on, but up to you. :)
Ahhh I see. I will ask my mate just incase then he works in a decent garage he's the one that will balance fit and shoe my wheels lol so why not!
I also just got some ceramic coating for my wheels once they're here. I'm going for it lol I hear coating them will massively help aid protection and corrosion.
plus means, I can clean with more ph neutral components. once I get my breaks sorted will go for yellow stuff or whatever they are!

Cheers for the help dave massive thanks I was getting proper stressed trying to find some bloody wheels because my tires are barely legal!

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Really interesting post and Dave the Man is as usual fantastic help!!! My only comment mate would be to keep a slightly higher sidewall will mean that your comfort is generally better cos you have more rubber to cushion the ride. Race cars go for as wide a tyre as possible and a very low sidewall but they drive on almost perfect road surfaces, whereas our roads are not like that!!!

Reactions: V6thomas

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Yeah ask him, also sometimes 'odd' size tyres are also more expensive! I looked at 265s for my 19" and they were about £35 dearer per tyre than the 255!

Yeah give them a good coat of wax or sealant when they are new as this is nice fresh paint and no buffing or polishing needed, just wax or seal them!

I used EZ car care rim wax on mine. I've always given all the wheels I've had on my cars when I've bought the car a good clean and then wax, keeps them looking nice and don't use solvent or acid cleaners (only when doing my first proper lean after buying the car) when cleaning them afterwards as the dust comes straight off with normal shampoo.

Yeah, yellow stuff are good, but maybe dustier than OE pads. My brother uses yellow stuff when going on track. Red stuff have no dust once bed in, but they are not a real high performance pad like yellow stuff, but will cope with daily fast road.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Also if you are looking at Mitchy Pilots, I know Cost-co do good deals on 4 tyres. I normally look on MyTyres for the going rate, usually spot on with the best prices!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahh thanks but I found them cheaper on mytyres £149.63 each!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dave,

I noticed on the advert for them it says A4 A6 and A8 why not A5? you sure there going to fit mine lol
I emailed them to see what they say

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Most Audis can fit the same wheels from A4 thro A6. You can check this on line for sure.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts