Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, i'm going to show my complete ignorance now... be gentle.

I've searched the forums and found plenty of threads but none of them have the exact answer I need.

Right. Audi hubs have five bolt holes. I'm interested in getting some after market wheels so I need to know if all wheels with five bolt holes will have the same diameter across all the holes (from one side of the pentagram to the other) please?

For example. Will a 19" Wolf Race hub with five bolt holes be the same as a Konig 18" with five bolt holes? And will both of them fit on the Audi please?

I'm not sure if i've managed to explain myself adequately. Please feel free to ask questions and i'll try to explain what I mean.

I've wanted to ask this question on forums before but the atmosphere on those has always made me feel like I would be ridiculed for asking.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There's nothing to be afraid of by asking questions - everybody at one point did not know themselves and learned from the experience or knowledge of someone else.

To answer your question - not necessarily.

To determine if a given wheel will fit, there are generally 3 things you need to look at - first of all, bolt pattern. Secondly, center bore. Third, offset.

The bolt pattern is in two parts - part one is the number of lugs, and part two is the diameter of the circle that the lugs make. For example, the Audi bolt pattern is 5x112. That means there are 5 lugs, and if you were to measure the distance between the centers of the 5 lugs it would be a circle with a 112mm diameter.

Secondly is the center bore. This is how big the hole is in the middle of the wheel to slide onto the axle. Most aftermarket wheels, in order to apply to as many vehicles as possible, will have a large center bore and then provide you a centering/hub ring to properly fit their wheel onto your vehicle's hub. The Audi CB is 66.56mm

Third is the offset - wheel offset is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the center line of the wheel itself.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You gotta look for a wheel with bolt pattern 5 x 112 mm. That's the bolt pattern of stock wheels.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent. Many thanks for the reply. it's appreciated.

Does the A5 have a specific tolerance when it comes to offset please?

·
Registered
483 Posts
stock is +32 mm on an 8.5 inch wheel (e.g., the 19" Y design for the S-line); will not go wrong if you stick to a wheel width of 8.5 inches and an offset +/- a couple mm from 32.

For 8 inch wheels, if you want to keep the same look, aim for an offset of +26. A higher offset will push the tire/wheel further into the wheel well, and a lower offset will pull the tire/wheel further out from the wheel well.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what the offset on the 20" x 9" 7-arm twin spoke design is please? Would I be right in saying that it's about 36mm or so?

I'm not looking at buying those but it will help me have a reasonable idea of what will fit the car when I look round for a set I like.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what the offset on the 20" x 9" 7-arm twin spoke design is please? Would I be right in saying that it's about 36mm or so?

I'm not looking at buying those but it will help me have a reasonable idea of what will fit the car when I look round for a set I like.

Many thanks
29mm

-Ray

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Seen these and I quite like them

I like them very much too, I think about them, but I could not get info about weight, quality, hardness, etc. It is in my 3 wheels among them I will choose. The others two are OZ wheels Ultraleggera HLT and Botticelli HLT all in 19".

IMHO I don't like original Audi wheels (they are boring for me, everybody have them) and HRE etc. (they look so tawdry, or not at all European).

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Off topic a bit, but..that's one awesome looking colour on that pic highrsedrifter...!!

I'm sure it's black, but wih the lighting it looks meeeean...!!!

Wheels look killer too..!

·
Registered
171 Posts
OK. I have another potentially stupid question. Apologies in advance.

Given that the current wheels (talking 8.5x19 with 32mm offset) can easily accommodate the 15mm spacers offered by APS and co, doesn't that effectively give the alloy a new offset of 47mm?

And if so, there shouldn't be any problem fitting an RS4-style 8.5x19 wheel with a 45mm offset? (providing stud pattern and centre bore work, of course)

Or have I got it all wrong?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
OK. I have another potentially stupid question. Apologies in advance.

Given that the current wheels (talking 8.5x19 with 32mm offset) can easily accommodate the 15mm spacers offered by APS and co, doesn't that effectively give the alloy a new offset of 47mm?

And if so, there shouldn't be any problem fitting an RS4-style 8.5x19 wheel with a 45mm offset? (providing stud pattern and centre bore work, of course)

Or have I got it all wrong?
Other way around. A 19x8.5 +32 with a 15mm spacer is equivalent to a 19x8.5 +17. You effectively lower the offset when you add spacers. An RS4 wheel needs a gargantuan spacer to fit flush.

-Ray

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Off topic a bit, but..that's one awesome looking colour on that pic highrsedrifter...!!

I'm sure it's black, but wih the lighting it looks meeeean...!!!

Wheels look killer too..!
yeah I do like that picture I have to admit. I have a quote from Caractere and it's about £2.5k for a set of wheels. Which is a heck of a lot. :eek:

·
Registered
171 Posts
cool, thanks for clarification.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts