Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if placing wheel spacers will have any bearing on the warranty issue with the car???

Also will there be any problems to watch out for?(i.e. the disadvantages )

I love the way the car looks with the spacers but just want to be careful.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
You shouldn't really have an warranty issues with putting spacers on, but if you had them on an noticed a problem with the way the car handles then you could easily take them off before taking the car to the garage to get it checked out.

Lots of people hve the spacers on their A5/S5 and so far I don't think anyone has actually had any problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unless you are 100% opposed to going 20mm get the H&R DRA 20mm as they are a better design (See other posts re spacers) so much that there is a current backorder of 1 month. I will not get mine until mid Apr.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just wondering if placing wheel spacers will have any bearing on the warranty issue with the car???

Also will there be any problems to watch out for?(i.e. the disadvantages )

I love the way the car looks with the spacers but just want to be careful.
I'm no expert, but I have heard from my mechs that the potential problem will be increased wear and tear on the wheel bearings and might cause the car to understeer, esp if the spacers in the back are a bit bigger in mm that the front (again, not an expert, just what all the mechanics are telling me, as i get more curious about my car :cool:

notwithstanding, i got 15mm spacers on both front and rear this weekend, and they look real good, as well as a 1" lowering. the car still handles well, and to be honest, i am unsure if i even notice a difference before and after, driving about 1,500 miles prior to getting the add'l mods done.

as SAJ 1982 noted, i dont think i have yet to encounter anyone having issues w/the warranty, however, anything is possible...

good luck, and let us know what you decide...

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'm no expert, but I have heard from my mechs that the potential problem will be increased wear and tear on the wheel bearings and might cause the car to understeer, esp if the spacers in the back are a bit bigger in mm that the front (again, not an expert, just what all the mechanics are telling me, as i get more curious about my car :cool:

I think that's an issue with spacers for any car. But if you buy from a reputible brand such as H&R, then you know they're engineered well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gonzo, I had the same conversation with a mechanic at Audi and he said the same thing. Wheel spacers depending on thickness will change the weight distribution and 'could' affect wear on bushings and bearings. If so, this damage is NOT covered under warranty. I think it will depend on driving style and road conditions as to what extent any component wear/damage will occur. My other concern is now that the wheels are moved out slightly, does that increase the risk of additional body damage behind the wheels from stone chips ?? Anyone experience this yet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.