Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitted some 3mm wheel spacers to provide a bit more caliper clearance to go with my 20" Vossen VS1 (1mm was a little close for my liking).

When fitted the wheel spacer is not the same diameter as hub and wheel face so there is a visible gap as if the spacer needs to be another 25mm in diameter, ie the wheel face is not fully supported. While i'm sure it wont flex that much, I unsure if this is a safety issue or not.

Is this an issue ? (left is how it mounts, right is how I think it should be)

·
Registered
836 Posts
3mm is tiny, I have occasionally run a 5mm spacer and it appears wafer thin.

To my understanding though:
modern cars and the wheels, the wheel carries the weight of the car on the tiny lip that protrudes from the hub, the bolts merely keep the wheels attached to the hub but doesn't really carry the weight of the car in the same way as the lip does. This is why hub centric spacers is essential for modern cars. At 3mm your spacer ought to be so thin that there should still be plenty of lip from the hub the wheel can ride on?

Regards

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3mm is tiny, I have occasionally run a 5mm spacer and it appears wafer thin.

To my understanding though:
modern cars and the wheels, the wheel carries the weight of the car on the tiny lip that protrudes from the hub, the bolts merely keep the wheels attached to the hub but doesn't really carry the weight of the car in the same way as the lip does. This is why hub centric spacers is essential for modern cars. At 3mm your spacer ought to be so thin that there should still be plenty of lip from the hub the wheel can ride on?

Regards
Yeah plenty of lip for sure I can mount the wheel and it will sit there on lip fine.

So the wheel face itself doesnt need full support against the hub?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts