Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently taken delivery of a 2.0T A5 sport with 19" Y spoke alloys but I can't get on with the ride quality. I know most people upsize their wheels but would downsizing to 18" or even 17" alloys stop me feeling every stray hair on the road.
Thanks
Skidder

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A5 with comfort suspension and 245/45R17 is harder than my previous A4 with Audi sport suspension and 235/40R18.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Skidder - I've put several posts on the forum stating that when test driving the sport model i could feel every ripple and stone in the road which I found tiring. This was on 19" and 18" wheels so I'm not sure if downsizing would help much. Might be better to look into coilovers or suspension mods?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Definately check your tyre pressures + pump your seat up a bit rather than have it on the lowest setting (if it is)
G

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. We have similar spec wheels and sport suspension and the ride is lovely but we have 3.0V6Tdi Quattro Sport.

Maybe the set up doesn't suit small engined non Quattro motors?

Our previous (08) TT with 19in RS4s, 2.0TFsi was a horrible ride, part of the reason for its early departure.

RG

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have recently taken delivery of a 2.0T A5 sport with 19" Y spoke alloys but I can't get on with the ride quality. I know most people upsize their wheels but would downsizing to 18" or even 17" alloys stop me feeling every stray hair on the road.
Thanks
Skidder
I have the 2.0 sport on the 20" alloys on 265 30 rubber and dont have a problem with the ride, in fact it's like its on rails on the bends!!!

Of course it is all personal preference!!!

Hope you get it sorted mate.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Bacchus... I notice yours is a Quattro. Maybe it's just the FWD that handle like a t*t on a trampoline.

RG

Bacchus What do you reckon about Audi's sudden S Line announcement?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah true Quatt could be the difference!!

Had a look at the Sline and yes looks nice, but nothing can dampen the love i have for mine. Sometimes i stand there and weep at how stunning it looks!! lol :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm curious about this too. I need to chose between the 19" 20 spoke wheels or the 20" RS4 style ones and can't decide.

Will the ride quality difference be much between either set, I wonder?

Here's hoping Audi will see sense and allow the 19" Y's for the S-Line.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm curious about this too. I need to chose between the 19" 20 spoke wheels or the 20" RS4 style ones and can't decide.

Will the ride quality difrference be much between either set, I wonder?

Here's hoping Audi will see sense and allow the 19" Y's for the S-Line.
My personal opinion the 20" twin spokes look the nuts, fill the arches well and really set the car off!! I get so many people stopping me to talk about the car and just gawp at it. :D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
A5 20 spoke 19in

Here's one I borrowed earlier in the year. They do look good but the 19in Y spokes had the edge and they are easy to clean unlike the 20spoke . There is also a issue about repairing 20 spokes due to their construction.

Cheers

RG:D

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's one I borrowed earlier in the year. They do look good but the 19in Y spokes had the edge and they are easy to clean unlike the 20spoke . There is also a issue about repairing 20 pokes due to their construction.

Cheers

They do look good, the Mrs has them on her A3 Sportback and they look great!! However as with all things, it's personal preference and i prefer mine lol ;)

B:D

·
Registered
352 Posts
My personal opinion the 20" twin spokes look the nuts, fill the arches well and really set the car off!! I get so many people stopping me to talk about the car and just gawp at it. :D
My experience is the same - you'd think spectators would be more intrigued by the LED DRLs, but no, its those wheels!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Would agree it is down to personal preference.

Larger wheels may look "better" in some respects, but ultimately you have to pick your comfort over that of onlookers?

Smaller wheels implies more rubber/air, less alloy, so it should be "bouncier" and thereby more forgiving to minor road surface imperfections.

Before spending the money, try adjusting the air pressures in the wheels, perhaps lowering it by a few PSI (but remaining within the acceptable safe range). This will affect the ride quality, and perhaps to something more compatible to your preference?

On the fuel flap or inside the door opening, you will see the usual sticker showing suggested PSI values depending on number of passengers and luggage levels. Try bringing it to the lowest PSI level, which should be softer.

At the same PSI, generally heavier cars will be more dampened than lighter cars which would explain why (all else being equal) the ride quality of larger engined and/or quattro vehicles appears softer.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Would agree it is down to personal preference.

Larger wheels may look "better" in some respects, but ultimately you have to pick your comfort over that of onlookers?

Smaller wheels implies more rubber/air, less alloy, so it should be "bouncier" and thereby more forgiving to minor road surface imperfections.

Before spending the money, try adjusting the air pressures in the wheels, perhaps lowering it by a few PSI (but remaining within the acceptable safe range). This will affect the ride quality, and perhaps to something more compatible to your preference?

On the fuel flap or inside the door opening, you will see the usual sticker showing suggested PSI values depending on number of passengers and luggage levels. Try bringing it to the lowest PSI level, which should be softer.

At the same PSI, generally heavier cars will be more dampened than lighter cars which would explain why (all else being equal) the ride quality of larger engined and/or quattro vehicles appears softer.
Thanks mate, that makes sense. In your considered opinion, is the difference in ride quality betwen 20" and 19" going to be that different, all other things being equal?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Absolutely agree Deepmeister +1

·
Registered
552 Posts
There is also a issue about repairing 20 pokes due to their construction.

Cheers

I have even moaned to Audi UK about the lack of wheel options for the A5, especialy the S Line variants, as the standard 18's are very uninspiring and the 20's too big and expensive (for me at least) which only leaves the 19 cross spokes which I do quite like but would of preferred a 5 spoke design.

As I basically cannot park for toffee kerbing wheels is a given with me and I do get them repaired so would be grateful if you could advise what the issue is regarding repair. Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks mate, that makes sense. In your considered opinion, is the difference in ride quality betwen 20" and 19" going to be that different, all other things being equal?
There must be a significant difference, particularly because:

1) Audi apparently replaces the SLine suspension with Sport suspension on SLine models if you select 20inch wheels due to the ride being too harsh.

2) Audi Drive Select is not possible on vehicles with 20inch vehicles as the ride will not be selectable from Comfort to Sport, it will be the equivalent of Rock Solid to Really Harsh!

It would therefore be reasonable to conclude that the 20inch wheels really makes the ride stiffer. With Sport and 20inch wheels, it is the stiffest setup I have ever had in an Audi, and have previously owned SLines on A4 and TT vehicles, all with Quattro and large wheels. The 20inch with SLine suspension would be too harsh, in my view, and it appears Audi agrees by not offering it.

Just my tuppenies worth, hope it helps.

·
Registered
953 Posts
There must be a significant difference, particularly because:

1) Audi apparently replaces the SLine suspension with Sport suspension on SLine models if you select 20inch wheels due to the ride being too harsh.

2) Audi Drive Select is not possible on vehicles with 20inch vehicles as the ride will not be selectable from Comfort to Sport, it will be the equivalent of Rock Solid to Really Harsh!

It would therefore be reasonable to conclude that the 20inch wheels really makes the ride stiffer. With Sport and 20inch wheels, it is the stiffest setup I have ever had in an Audi, and have previously owned SLines on A4 and TT vehicles, all with Quattro and large wheels. The 20inch with SLine suspension would be too harsh, in my view, and it appears Audi agrees by not offering it.

Just my tuppenies worth, hope it helps.
Yes it does. Thanks for the reply. I guess i'll stick to the 19" 20 spoke ones until such times as Audi decide to release some different wheels, hopefully the 19" Y's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts