Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

I swapped my alloys for the genuine rotors (deep ones) a while ago.

I believe the alloys are 8,5 X 19" ET 32 255\35R19

Since then I noticed the front wheels hitting the arch as you turn.

I was advised to get spacers, if I remember correctly 25mm on front and 20mm on the back.

When the tyre place put the spacers on, one bolt on the driver's side didn't go in, it was just spinning and wouldn't catch on.

4 weeks ago I had all four tyres changed and they had the same issue with the one bolt but all others where fine.

After getting a screw, in the middle, not realising and driving it essentially flat, the tyre was ruined so needed replacing.

The new tyre garage where appalled at the bolts saying only 2 threads had caught on, because of this the first thread in the hub had been damaged.

I am now confused, what length bolts do I need?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you consider to purchase new wheel bolts longer by the amount/size of the spacers? Your current situation could be very dangerous for a wheel to break free due to extremely few threads catching the hubs!!!

Reactions: crazeuk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you consider to purchase new wheel bolts longer by the amount/size of the spacers? Your current situation could be very dangerous for a wheel to break free due to extremely few threads catching the hubs!!!
Hi.
Yes, got replacement bolts. Unfortunately I think the new ones provided where not long enough.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.

I got some new bolts from Bradford Nuts & Bolts.

I took it to a tyre place.

After putting them all on, the guy pointed out the two off side ones had same sized spacers as opposed to the other side.

Which meant the people at the tyre garage mixed up the wheelss with spacers attached.

I will add measurements for bolts shortly.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Sounds like you need to stay well clear of that garage!

The normal spacers are F 15mm and R 20. You can go larger, but normally the thicker spacers are on the rear!

Also you should ALWAYS get the appropriate bolts with the spacers. You should get extended radius bolts. Measure you original bolts, then add the thickness of the spacer - simples. :)

Sounds like if the original bolts were used and an air gun to tighten them, they will have pulled on the few threads they were on by and stripped them, hence the bolts just spinning.

Another question is if they are OE Rotors and yes ET32 is correct, why were they rubbing? They shouldn't unless the arch lining has been removed and not put back correctly or damaged. You don't need spacers. Although most of us fit them for aesthetics. I have the same wheels and F 15mm / R 20mm. I got extended bolts for the Fronts and the rears were bolt on, so I can use the original bolts, that bolt onto the spacer, not the hub.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts