Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any comments or thoughts from fellow A5 owners on my wheel balancing issue?

Brought a 2008 3.0tdi Quattro from local dealer 3 weeks ago. Great car, love it, apart from steering wheel wobble at 65-70mph. Quite specific speed and repeatable.

Supplying garage have had it in 3 times, twice for balancing and once for 4 wheel alignment. Problem still present. 4th time they sent it to ATS for professional balancing and alignment (makes you wonder who done it before!). Problem still there but slightly better. Spoke with ATS after works and they said settings were well out on alignment and balancing was not done very well either (single weight balance not inner/outer weights).

When I brought the car I asked for new front tyres as part of the deal. The dealer fitted budget brand (EP Tyres - Accelera) which I now suspect being the problem. As I didn't specify a brand I cannot complain based on just that, but if they are the cause I'm going to mental at them! ATS said that these budget tyres would not be recommend for this type of car! (great ammo for meeting with Dealer Manager tomorro).

Any others had this same problem with these tyres? (although I'd be surprised if anyone has fitted them - not a brand I would choose...)

Could it be something else?

2008, only 17k miles, fully service history....

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
chippy, I wouldn't worry about balancing, given the torque from your oil burner I would be more worried about keeping it on the road this week when it rains.

see this,

Accelera Alpha | the Accelera Alpha reviewed and rated | Page2 | the online tyre guide

yes there are some good reviews ( like the previa driver who enjoyed the noise they made) but laughed out loud at this one!

Excellent driftingtyres!
I've had a set of these fit on a '98 ImprezaGTT. Like all 'budget' tyres, dry-grip is fine, you really shouldn't compare them to much, much more expensive premium tyres.
However, these tyres really shine in wet conditions. You have virtually no grip whatsoever (note: it's an AWD car), and you'll be doing stunts like Ken Block does in no time. I lost count of the times I stood at 180 while pulling away from a parking spot. It's AWESOME. Also, they don't wear off half as fast as Wan-li (drifting) tyres!

Seriously, don't buy these tyres unless you never drive in the rain. People here that claim rain-grip is fine are probably driving half, sorry, 1/5th of the speed limit. These tyres will kill you if you're not 150% focusses in the rain. They go from 'grip' to 'ice' in a snap, progressiveness is zero.

Snow grip on the other hand is fine.

Have fun drifting!

Reactions: vRStu and Chippy476

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Try putting the front wheels onto the rear and see if the wobble moves from the steering wheel to the bum of your seat

·
Registered
314 Posts
You may have the dreaded control arm issue.

I had them replaced in my 2009 S5 and that 65-75mph wobble went away.

Do a search my friend - huge issue for Audi and many owners.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
hi Scottish (correct spelling)

maybe it is a regional thing, like you saying "it's no petty" whereas we would say "it's not petty"

just a thought....

Reactions: S4 EVV

·
Registered
124 Posts
hi Scottish (correct spelling)....
Scot-ish <-- correct spelling, (Scotsman living in England at the time, hence the "ish")

rackingman; said:
maybe it is a regional thing, like you saying "it's no petty" whereas we would say "it's not petty"

just a thought....
maybe a typing error, not getting the 't' for the end of the word.

i just don't get why people put the 'r' in bought, its a completely different word then.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Hi Scot-ish:thumbsdown:

Understand where you are coming from but probably is a regional thing, incorrect I know but believe me if I spent my time correcting other peoples' grammar and spelling nothing else would get done.

and being an old fart, don't get me started on textspeak which IMHO does my head in!!!LOL

Reactions: scot-ish

·
Registered
184 Posts
I thought this was a thread on a wheel balancing issue. :confused:

Why do some people on message boards feel the need to correct people's spelling, grammar and punctuation? Especially on a board where there are probably many people that don't speak English as their native language.

Get over yourselves and go with the flow. People fat finger things all the time, and occassionally misspell words. It's really not that big a deal, and certainly not worth calling someone out on. We all understood what the poster meant.

As to the original question, I assume when you've had them balanced the technician checked the wheels for true, and that the tires were not out of round? If so, then having someone perform the control arm TSB would be the next step to take.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same thing on my 2008 3.0 TDI, it happened between 65 and 75 mph. I put a new set of tyres all round (P4's) and the issue has gone away. I would definitely try swapping fronts to backs and see if the issue is fixed or at least moves – good luck with sorting it!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had a new set of tires put on and when balanced, they balanced well. But when I hit 70-80 mph there was noticeable vibration. I had the suspension checked 3 times and the wheels/tires checked for balance issues as well, still no solution. Finally the dealer swapped wheels with another A5 to determine if it really was the wheels or the suspension. It was the the wheels. The dealer then went and got the wheels/tires road force balanced and said the new tires had a road force in the 40's. I have no idea what that means, but he said it was way off. He contacted the tire distributor and told them the findings and replaced the tires free of charge. No more vibration.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
O
Scot-ish <-- correct spelling, (Scotsman living in England at the time, hence the "ish")

maybe a typing error, not getting the 't' for the end of the word.

i just don't get why people put the 'r' in bought, its a completely different word then.
Funny as h3ll Mr. Ish from Scotland.

Cheap tires are... what you pay is what you get. Put the car on a lift, spin the tire, run your hand against the tread as it spins. If you feel an undulating surface, then the tire wear, or the mold, has created a tire that is not a nice clean circle. You can cause this by skidding too (a flat spot) but unlikely, given the make and model of car. :-D When a tire feels like this it is junk and will vibrate no matter how much weight you add. Also, ensure your dealer is using finger weights and not the hammered on inner rim weights.

If you need to buy tires, I recommend tirerack.com for tire reviews and purchase too, if you are in the USA.

Keep the humor coming and if all fails, buy a Hyndai!

BTW After spending about 39 minutes typing this on my phone, if I wrote brought or bought and misused either word, I'll hear it from an accomplished writer in the family let alone a Scotsman! :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts