Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had issues with loads of weights to balance tyres?
I got new eagle F1 asymmetric 5 all round, but get feedback, I think its due to the tyres as the wheels are new.
Infact I had new wheels as I was advised the feedback was due to a bucked wheel.

News wheels and same, but then thought why is the tyre so heavily balanced?

I mean..... check out the picture, its ridiculous

Should have stuck with michelin lol

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
So Mr Marsh...who dunnit?
The question I would be asking is when their balancing rig was last calibrated.

Long story long..

4 pairs of new tyres from same F1 shed.
All Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 96Y XL 235/40YR19
First pair, 2 goes at balancing.
Second pair, new fitter, perfect first time
3rd pair, 3 goes, same fitter, 2 rows of weights, rubbish over 50 mph and his boss said the balance rig was calibrated recently. Fitter phoned regional office...not calibrated for 14 months.
Calibrated 2 days later, rebalance, perfect.
4th pair, nearly new fronts went on back, new pair on front, hardly any weights. Perfect.
New fitter is now new manager but he still did my tyres.

I had eagle assys on the last car, a few sets over 120k miles and they didn't need many weights. If its not the balance rig the tyres are probably out of spec.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Also bear in mind standard UK balancing rigs are only calibrated to balance up to 70mph (!)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also have these tyres and see there is quite a lot of weights added, not as much as yours.
But since they were fitted I get random shaking from the steering wheel. Thought it was due a buckle on one of my wheels, I have switched the wheels front to back and left to right and still get shaking, so I came to the conclusion that all the tyres surely couldn't be not balanced right, so I've now orded a whole new front suspension arm set that I'm going to fit as read this could be a cause if the lower arm is knackered.
Should of got my tyres balanced checked! Will have to do this now 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Proof of the pudding would be, is there any shaking on the motorway? If so, get the fitter to re-balance.

I had Michy winter tyres fitted to my old set of Y spokes for winter use, and 1 of the wheels has no weights as the fitter said it was good without.

Sometimes you can get an odd tyre which from the mould has uneven weight. But not usually from branded tyres, maybe from Wingpin tyres. Normally you get a red and yellow fot on the side wall which is where the tyre is it's heaviest or the fitter should mount with the tyre valve in line with the dot - or something like that. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, this makes me feel better that I am not alone.
1st time I noticed i went back to kwit fit and they re balanced, same result.
Had the new wheels and same tyres fitted at another garage, kwik fit marked my old alloys and I lost trust.
However, same issue, 100% its the tyres, very annoying as good cash spent on a premium brand.
Michelin next time, reluctant to chop these now due to new wheels and tyre investment.
However, happy with the new alloys so a win there lol

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yeah Kwik-sh i t are best to stay clear of! My last visit to one of their branches about 20 years ago, I took my car for a puncture repair, they jacked it up under the fuel tank and dented it. Then didn't bother balancing the wheel.

Contact Goodyear as if it is the tyre requiring that many weights, then it can be classed as defective and you get a replacement! But as it's shaking on the motorway, you need them balanced properly. Most brands offer lifetime warranties on their tyres!

I went to a tyre place once for a puncture and they didn't balance the rear wheel as I found out on the motorway. Took it back and they said they don't balance rear wheels!? I said yeah may be on an old rigid axle beam small car, but not on a modern performance car! And I can tell! I told him I could feel the shake from the rear right. He couldn't believe I could tell.

Best try the garage again or find another tyre bay.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not sure I would be happy if after balancing a wheel had that many weights, clearly something not right.

On my motorbike after a recent rear tyre replacement the guy cleaned it all up and no weights needed. I was a bit dubious, but no issues at any speeds.

I'd take it back or go elsewhere

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Also a really good tyre place will put gunmetal or matt black weights on a gunmetal wheel. I've had them on mine! :D

Or give them a quick baz over with spray after masking them. looks neater if a little OCD. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to be fair to Good Year, I contacted them via email and expected to never hear back, but they emailed within 10 minutes and then called me to discuss, they offered me loads of advice (all I had done), and said I can go back to kwik fit, they will run tests and can replace the tyre, but not keen to go back as they marked my wheels last time!

my normal garage could not get these tyres and Kwik fit had a deal on them, live and learn I guess. I will move that heavily weighted wheel to the back and put the least weighted ones to the front, and yes, I was thinking about covering them in dark grey, so many weights its actually funny!

my future issue is when I have new tyres and they remove the weights with a flat head screwdriver, that won't end well!

these are the pain points about caring for a car lol - was way easier when I had a company car, I would park anywhere (not miles away) and curb up to get a nice parallel park hahaha

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
I would take it back to kwikshit and let them sort it out with goodyears support.
You just ask the depot manager to witness you taking images of your wheels on the understanding that any damage they cause is rectified at their cost.
They can do a good job if they try. It's just that they get so much fleet business where the drivers don't care, neither do they, most of the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts